Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

How Durant's Current Scoring Run Compares to Kobe's and LeBron's Best Runs

Great article on how Durant's run compares against Kobe's and LeBron's.

Kobe has averaged 40+ points during 3 different months of his career. Will Durant ever accomplish something like that?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...best_runs.html

KD put up 46 points in a victory over the Blazers as his insane scoring run continues.

Kevin Durant is soaring to new heights this season, and his torrid stretch of play continued against the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday night in a 105-97 victory for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Durant scored 46 points on 17-of-25 shooting, nailing 6-of-7 three-pointers and notching 11 points in the final three-plus minutes as the Thunder took control of the game.

Durant was so good that Blazers reserve guard Mo Williams questioned whether the Son of God himself could stop the scoring barrage:

With Russell Westbrook out, Durant has taken it upon himself to carry the Thunder, and his performance in the month of January has been stuff of legend. In 11 games this month, Durant is averaging 37.0 points, 5.9 assists and 5.6 rebounds while shooting 52.2 percent overall and 39.2 percent from three. He has three 40-point games, a 50-point game and has been under 30 points just twice.

Get news, links and Ziller's #hottakes with Good Morning It's Basketball in your inbox every weekday morning.
    Durant has scored 30 points in eight straight games, averaging 39.3 points over that stretch. It's the second-longest such streak of his career, as he reached 30 points in nine consecutive games in 2010. However, that was spread out over two seasons.

Durant's numbers become historic when you narrow them down to the last three games. With his monster effort against the Blazers, Durant became the first player in NBA history to have three straight games with 30 or more points while shooting at least 66 percent overall and at least 55 percent from three. A handful of players, including Kevin Love, have reached those numbers two games in a row, but Durant is now the only one to do it in three consecutive games.

The run Durant is on brings back some memories of some other great stretches from some of the best scorers in the post-Jordan era. When LeBron James scored 30 points or more in 10 straight games during the 2005-06 season, he averaged 37.9 points. Tracy McGrady scored at least 30 points in 14 straight games in March 2003, averaging 37.4 points during that span.

And then there's Kobe Bean Bryant.

Bryant has had multiple insane stretches over the course of his career. In 2003, Bryant scored 30 points or more in a whopping 16 consecutive games. In the month most of those games occurred, he averaged 40.6 points.

During the 2005-06 season, Bryant had two months in which he scored over 40 points per game. In January 2006, the month he scored 81 against the Toronto Raptors, Bryant averaged 43.4 points. In April of that same year, he averaged 41.6 points while shooting nearly 51 percent overall and 41.3 percent from deep.

In March 2007, Bryant averaged 40.4 points, and this run included a five-game stretch in which he scored 65, 50, 60, 50 and 43 points. After a slight hiccup of a game with 23 points, he notched 53 points in the final game of the month.

While Durant's ongoing stretch may not be quite as gaudy as some of those from Bryant, it's just about as impressive due to the insane efficiency. While it required nearly 30 shots a game for Bryant to average over 40 points in those months, Durant is averaging his 37 points in January on just over 22 shots a game. If Durant was taking 30 shots a game the way he's playing now, it wouldn't be hard to imagine him putting up 45 a night.

Durant will look to continue his hot streak against the San Antonio Spurs on ESPN Wednesday.

Durant is a beasssst!!! But there was no better pure scorer than bryant in the modern age of basketball.

Truth be told ^^

Love him or hate him, call him overrated, a punk, chump, and whatever blasphemy you people speak, fact of the matter is there is no denying he's the best of his generation and will go down as a top 5 player ever...what he has done for the NBA is amazing he's the biggest name in basketball all around the world and his chase for number 6 continues! All that matters though to us Laker fans is #17! Lakersnation! #16to17

If KD took as many shots as Kobe did during those stretches, yes he could easily accomplish that. KD is a better scorer, shooter, finisher than Kobe is/was. The guy is averaging 40ppg on 50% shooting this month. I'm sure he could ratchet it up like this in other months while still shooting 45+% like kobe did.

Simply put, Durant >>> Kobe.

^^Truth be told

Id take durant over kobe easily.

If Durant scores 81 I can start writing off Kobe scoring wise.

Quote Originally Posted by poleandreel View Post
    If KD took as many shots as Kobe did during those stretches, yes he could easily accomplish that. KD is a better scorer, shooter, finisher than Kobe is/was. The guy is averaging 40ppg on 50% shooting this month. I'm sure he could ratchet it up like this in other months while still shooting 45+% like kobe did.

Simply put, Durant >>> Kobe.
    Easily? I don't know about that. So is your argument that Durant is taking fewer shots? That's crazy. He's taken so many shots that he's making LeBron jealous. Durant may be more efficient but I wouldn't say he's better.

Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    Durant is a beasssst!!! But there was no better pure scorer than bryant in the modern age of basketball.
    As of this moment, I second this. Durant still has a good amount of years left, he may develop some more offensively.

But yea, kobe really did it all. Ball in his hand outside the three point line he could just pop it, could drive it, could put a move and shoot it off the dribble, drive and dish. In the post he could play with his back to the basket, facing the basket, shoot it with a hand in his face, shoot it off balance, shoot fadeaway, teardrop. At the basket he could stop on a dime and pop, head fake, reverse layup, or just straight up dunk on a 7 footer. He just had the most complete offensive game, he could pretty much almost do anything from any part of the court. It was only 5-7 years ago, I don't get how people forgot what he did so quickly. He was an amazing player to watch, his game was beautiful. minus the hero ball, that **** got pretty annoying sometimes

I'm excited to see what durant brings tho, he still has a lot of room to polish up parts of his game still and up his offensive game play.

Lebron's a different beast, he's really not the same type of player or scorer as the other two, what he brings to the table is just something completely different.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

^^^Well said

The last 5 times KD has taken 25+ shots, he has scored 40+ points

25 FGA 40 Points
    28 FGA 54 Points
    34 FGA 48 Points
    32 FGA 48 Points

He also scored 35+ in 3 other games while barely hitting 22 shots. So yes, he could easily do it if he averaged 28 to 30 shots per game like Kobe did during that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    As of this moment, I second this. Durant still has a good amount of years left, he may develop some more offensively.

But yea, kobe really did it all. Ball in his hand outside the three point line he could just pop it, could drive it, could put a move and shoot it off the dribble, drive and dish. In the post he could play with his back to the basket, facing the basket, shoot it with a hand in his face, shoot it off balance, shoot fadeaway, teardrop. At the basket he could stop on a dime and pop, head fake, reverse layup, or just straight up dunk on a 7 footer. He just had the most complete offensive game, he could pretty much almost do anything from any part of the court. It was only 5-7 years ago, I don't get how people forgot what he did so quickly. He was an amazing player to watch, his game was beautiful. minus the hero ball, that **** got pretty annoying sometimes

I'm excited to see what durant brings tho, he still has a lot of room to polish up parts of his game still and up his offensive game play.

Lebron's a different beast, he's really not the same type of player or scorer as the other two, what he brings to the table is just something completely different.
    You do realize that every single thing you said, KD can do too...right?

Ball in his hand outside the three point line he could just pop it: KD does at a more efficient clip than Kobe ever did
    could drive it: KD can better than kobe
    could put a move and shoot it off the dribble, drive and dish: KD can at a more efficient clip than Kobe and is averaging 5 assists per game
    In the post he could play with his back to the basket: KD can
    facing the basket: KD can better than kobe
    shoot it with a hand in his face: KD can just as good as kobe
    shoot it off balance: KD can better than kobe
    shoot fadeaway: KD can
    teardrop: KD can
    At the basket he could stop on a dime and pop: KD can
    head fake: KD can
    reverse layup: KD can
    or just straight up dunk on a 7 footer: KD can and has done plenty of times...

I don't understand how Kobe was a more complete offensive player when KD does everything kobe did, but more efficiently.

Quite possibly the best stretch of all-around brilliance I've seen since 03 Tmac after Orlando traded his best friend on the team mid season. It may just be a hot stretch but dear god is his efficiency off the charts good, I dont know if we've ever seen anything like this (usage+passing+efficiency combo)

2006 Kobe was fun. But when Kwame and Smush are in your starting lineup, you gotta put the team on your back. I personally love huge scoring stretches.

KD far too efficient for Kobe to compare.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast