Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why can't players jump when shooting free throws?

For some cumbersome NBA big men,when taking shots ,they look like making free throws, which means they barely jump up as high as others do .
    But to think it from another angle, why can't player jump during FTs ?Jumping can give them an arc which in turn increases the FT percentage.
    I know it is a rule that you cant do it. But why did the rule makers decide it in the first place ?

Well in my experience a jump shot makes a standing free throw harder. It's easier not to jump

It makes you look like a *****

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Hoops member, 2009
    If your team picks him in the top 10, the GM should be fired. Every year there are comparable talents to Steph who go undrafted. He is not worth a first round pick, let alone a lottery pick.

But for those professional players, they may perform better if they can jump, considering they practise shooting everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans:27806051
    Well in my experience a jump shot makes a standing free throw harder. It's easier not to jump

Are you allowed too jump though?

I saw MKG do it in pre-season.

Free throws are all about repetition and routine. That allows the shot to become muscle memory. Jumping adds a variable that is hard to keep constant with every shot. Think about how hard it would be to jump exactly the same height/speed/direction every time.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

You just can't jump forward. Someone told me Wilt tried to do that. Like he was playing 21 on the playground when he had 19 type stuff, trying to get the rebound.

You can definitely jump to shoot free throws as long as you don't pass the line. I've seen MKG do it a couple times already just recently against the HEAT.

How the **** would the ability to jump give you more arc?

You jump to avoid blocks and to generate force from your legs on deeper shots, it wouldn't garner more arc on an uncontested FT.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisclever View Post
    For some cumbersome NBA big men,when taking shots ,they look like making free throws, which means they barely jump up as high as others do .
    But to think it from another angle, why can't player jump during FTs ?Jumping can give them an arc which in turn increases the FT percentage.
    I know it is a rule that you cant do it. But why did the rule makers decide it in the first place ?
    It isn't. Free throw stuff starts on page 31: http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.ele...-Rule-Book.pdf

People just don't do it that much because it's unnecessary and doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    I think so too.

You can jump, you just can't cross the line.

With mechanics and timing it's a lot easier not to shoot a jump shot

If you could cross the line guys like Lebron would just do a layup if not dunk occasionally.

My silly question, since we are on this subject,

Why can't a free throw shooter, when down and need to miss a FT for a offensive rebound, be able to throw the ball hard at the front of the rim (imagine a one handed, behind your head throw like a football) to make it bounce back to him for an easy rebound? Instead of just shooting it, hoping for a miss and it to bounce at an angle for your teammates to grab it. Never really understood if there was a rule in the NBA to ban an obvious throw and miss of a FT.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast