Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did any GM or head coach admit they were tanking ?

Here is the thing, for some teams, whose cap spaces are locked by garbage contracts ,or which are not appealling big markets,or which are struggling and it seems there is little hope for them to turn things around and make groundbreaking changes with the current rosters, tanking is a common practice by them.
    Tanking is not a good thing for fans because when the team they are rooting for is determined to lose intentionally, the games are not that funny .Then they will just switch over to other sports like NFL, MLB.
    The Lakers are struggling but Mitch said directly in the press conference that they were not and had never been tanking over the past few decades. But for a lot of fans, considering the 2014 draft is a phenomenal one, they actually want the Lakers to tank this single season.
    I wonder did any GM or head coach admit they were tanking ?
    Last edited by Chrisclover; 01-13-2014 at 07:05 AM.

as a fan of a REBUILDING team (there is a difference) i am loving how things have turned out so far and to make it better we have to be the most exciting bottom 5 team in the league since we play no D and run on O. As for the Lakers they are LA they are never going to tank or rebuild bcuz they always beleive they can sign the top FA and thats what they will try to do everytime things go south.

as for admitting tanking i think it was the Jazz owner who said it anonymously early on.

you said it was said anonymously so how could you know he was the owner of the Jazz ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5:27790688
    as a fan of a REBUILDING team (there is a difference) i am loving how things have turned out so far and to make it better we have to be the most exciting bottom 5 team in the league since we play no D and run on O. As for the Lakers they are LA they are never going to tank or rebuild bcuz they always beleive they can sign the top FA and thats what they will try to do everytime things go south.

as for admitting tanking i think it was the Jazz owner who said it anonymously early on.

was pretty clear the way it was worded.

To answer your question, no I don't remember any owner/coach saying directly the team is "tanking"

Just to put my thoughts on this whole "tanking" issue, I am of a fan of a rebuliding team (Orlando Magic) and I don't see it as this big problem that everyone else does. Personally, I think it's a neccessary step to building a consistent contender.

I also don't think a lot of the bad teams, like Orlando, are TRYING to lose games, they are just that bad lol. They are contructed in a way where they have to compete just to not get embarassed every night.

In my situation I don't turn off the TV to watch other teams instead of the Magic, it obviously sucks they aren't winning but I am able to see the bigger picture. Building with talent (like Harris, Harkless, Vucevic, Oladipo) gives me a hope of a deep talented team down the line that could compete for a decade if we make the right decisions and get a little luck.

To me building a contender starts with bottoming out (obviously there's exceptions like Miami)

"Tanking" is a word that's used too liberally and thus used incorrectly. It's used as a dirty word to describe what teams like Orlando, Philly, Boston and Utah are wisely doing. They're rebuilding, and trying to do it in the most beneficial and positive way. There shouldn't be anything negative at all directed towards the strategy they're implying.

I try to only use "tanking" later in the season when teams clearly have made an intentional effort day-to-day to not give themselves the best chance to win. That's something I'm comfortable associating a negative word to. Not anything these teams are doing thus far. Because I DARE you to go tell Brad Stevens, Brett Brown and so on that you think they're tanking. That's a joke. These coaches are trying to be competitive with what they have. The "tanking" comes from the front office's strategies, not early-season game-to-game activity. And that front office strategy isn't a thing worth bashing. These teams are running their best players out there, giving them big minutes while doing so. Go look at Boston's top 5 players and the minutes they're getting. Go look at Orlando's top 6 players and the minutes they're getting. Philly's top 4 players all play over 32 minutes a game. The scrubs for all of these teams aren't getting minutes.

The coaches aren't "tanking". They're doing the best they can with what they have, which just isn't much.

It's just a case of rebuilding teams simply not being able to be competitive. Not an intentional game-to-game effort to lose games.

I hate how the word is used. Even the Lakers...they aren't tanking intentionally daily. They just suck because Kobe is out, Pau has regressed, Nash blow and Dwight left. They're just a team that sucks...if they had it their way they wouldn't. LA isn't trying to lose games. Those players are playing the best they can. It's just a terrible roster. THat's not "tanking".

/end mini rant about semantics

No coach is going to admit to tanking...and I don't think any coach at this point is intentionally trying to lose games. No GM is going to say they're "tanking" publicly. GMs should be allowed to say, and comfortable with saying, that they are looking to the future and are rebuilding. But, again, "tanking" is a word that's misconstrued.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Some people define tanking by intentionally trotting out rosters not worth a damn in their current state, I dont. Its rebuilding more than tanking IMO. Why go all in for mediocrity when its best develop a young core you can build/grow with. Nobody is intentionally losing games, maybe the Jazz but even they have started optimizing their best lineups by not playing Kanter and Favors together. I dont know why, the point is for those 2 to learn how to play together not to maximize what is likely an 18 win team.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    They don't every use the word 'tanking', they use euphemisms like "this puts us in a good position in the future" or this helps "long term" or it "gives us flexibility moving forward".

They do not use the phrase 'tanking'. They are too diplomatic for that.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Most teams are rebuilding we will see the tanking in the last few weeks were teams decide to play their starters for 5 minutes

don't know if dolan/mills came out and said it, but based on the way the knicks are playing, they're definitely tanking.

Nobody is going to admit they are "tanking".

No coach or player is going to lose on purpose.

The reality is that for all the teams that can't win in 2014, their contingency plans are very strong this year.

I think its also a widely accepted cliche that it is better to be at the bottom than in the middle in the NBA. The difference is this year there are 6 or 7 prizes instead of 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
    don't know if dolan/mills came out and said it, but based on the way the knicks are playing, they're definitely tanking.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
    http://www.nba.com/games/20140109/MIANYK/gameinfo.html

lol not possible for the Knicks to tank without a draft pick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast