Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Sorry buddy but this isn't madden. We may not even sign a single one of those guys you mentioned. Trust me on this when I guarantee you that Mike Vick will not be wearing purple next season. Spielman is looking for the QB of the future, not a washed up bum who can next stay healthy. If you think we are going to make that kind of splash this offseason then you are in for a big disappointment.
    I don't understand why you say that. We have so much money coming off the books why wouldn't we spend some. I concede that we won't get all those A. options I had but some of the later ones are real possibilities. If we are relying on the draft to fill QB, LG, NT, CB and multiple LB's then god help us. I don't want Spielman drafting anymore mid round CB's. McCouley, A. Allen, C. Griffen, C. Cook. Wouldn't you much rather sign some proven talent.

There is also the fact that Ziggy has to start selling his luxury boxes for his new stadium he's going to have to get the fans and media excited. If we stink for the next 2 years at TCF and we don't spend money on FA help then this fan base will erupt. Guys like Captain, Thurmond, Schwartz or Incognito are all guys that could really help this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman26 View Post
    I don't understand why you say that. We have so much money coming off the books why wouldn't we spend some. I concede that we won't get all those A. options I had but some of the later ones are real possibilities. If we are relying on the draft to fill QB, LG, NT, CB and multiple LB's then god help us. I don't want Spielman drafting anymore mid round CB's. McCouley, A. Allen, C. Griffen, C. Cook. Wouldn't you much rather sign some proven talent.

There is also the fact that Ziggy has to start selling his luxury boxes for his new stadium he's going to have to get the fans and media excited. If we stink for the next 2 years at TCF and we don't spend money on FA help then this fan base will erupt. Guys like Captain, Thurmond, Schwartz or Incognito are all guys that could really help this team.
    Yes all those guys could help but it's not like we are leading the league in cap space. We might sign one of those guys but multiple splashes in free agency is very unlikely. That just isn't the way Spielman operates. If we are going to make a splash, it will come through the draft with a big trade for a QB. We aren't going to sell many PSLs with Ponder or Cassel at QB.

As an FYI Spielman didn't draft any of those corners you mentioned. He has only been the main guy in charge the last 2 drafts. 3 years if you want to include 2011 because he was a big part of the Ponder decision.

I don't doubt we will be active in FA trying to fix the defense but it's impossible to fix every hole in one offseason.

Vikings Mock Offseason

HC: Mike Zimmer
    OC: Hue Jackson
    DC: Paul Guenther
    ST: Mike Preifer

Offense:
    QB: Bortles, Cassel
    RB: Peterson, Asiata
    FB: Felton
    Slot: Jennings, Wright
    Wr: Patterson, Moncreif, Webb
    TE: Rudolph, Ellison
    LT: Kalil
    LG: Bitonio
    C: Sullivan
    RG: Fusco
    RT: Loadholt

3-4 Defense:
    DE: Floyd
    NT: Raji
    DE: Griffen
    OLB: Beasley
    MLB: Cole
    MLB: Greenway
    OLB: Robison
    CB: Rhodes
    FS: Smith
    SS: Sendejo
    Ni: Joyner
    CB: Cook

OR

4-3 Defense:
    DE: Griffen
    Dt: Floyd
    NT: Raji
    De: Robison
    OLB: Beasley
    MLB: Cole
    OLB: Greenway
    CB: Rhodes
    FS: Smith
    SS: Sendejo
    Ni: Joyner
    CB: Cook

K: Blair Walsh
    P: Jeff Locke
    KR: Cordarrelle Patterson
    PR: Marcus Sherels

Released:
    C. Johnson
    A. Jefferson
    K. Williams
    J. Allen
    D. Bishop
    C. Ponder
    T. Gerhart
    E. Henderson

Resign:
    B. Robison
    C. Cook
    E. Griffen
    S. Prater

Free Agents:
    B.J. Raji NT

Draft:
    1. Bortles Qb
    2. Vic Beasley OLB
    3. Lamarcus Joyner Ni
    3. Joe Bitonio G
    4. Donte Moncrief Wr
    5. Running back
    6. Tight end
    7. Secondary

I don't know about your 3-4. Greenway cannot play in a 3-4 he is nowhere near athletic enough. You'd have to make Robison and Griffin OLB's which might actually benefit them. Cole would also look good in a 3-4, so would our safety's. You also don't have or need a nickel CB in a 3-4. You play with 2 CB's almost exclusively. My struggle with the 3-4 switch is the D line. We don't have a NT for the scheme, floyd and Guion are both poor fits as 3-4 DE's. It would be nice to play with 2 CB's instead of 3-5 however. I also don't think we'd switch to a 3-4 if we hired Zimmer.

I don't really like Bortles. He's got a bad release and on his tape he doesn't jump out at me. He seems like Gabbert 2.0, I can't see why so many Viking fans are high on him unless it's just because he's the "#2" QB in the draft.

Also Vic Beasley has gone in the first in almost every mock I've seen and Joyner as a low 2nd

^ dayman, Greenway could play MLB. To me, I see Greenway just as capable of playing MLB as Navaro Bowman. In a 3-4 you could have Greenway at one MLB Position and bring in a guy like Jon Beason. I don't see why those two could not put up the same numbers as Bowman and Willis. And I feel like our best spot for Griffen is at DE in a 3-4, and Robison as a OLB. I think Robison could take fit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Pat 94 View Post
    Here is something I've seen on other vikings forums, specifically FF. Anyone can participate and I encourage other posters to offer constructive criticism and comments about the mocks that are posted. Here's mine:

With Leslie Frazier gone, the Vikings sign Jay Gruden to become the next head coach in Minneapolis. Most of the previous staff is axed, and Minnesotans celebrate the firing of Alan Williams and Bill Musgrave, arguably the two worst coordinators to ever be employed by the franchise. Recent comments by Priefer make the Wilfs consider replacing him too, but recent success helps him retain his job.

HC- Jay Gruden
    DC- Mark Carrier (former Bengals DB coach)
    OC- Tom Cable (former Seahawks OL coach)
    ST- Priefer

OFFSEASON FREE AGENTS:

Jared Allen: RELEASED
    Kevin Williams: Re-signed at 2 yr/ $8M
    Charlie Johnson: RELEASED
    Matt Cassel: Opts to come back to team. 1 yr/3.7M
    Josh Freeman: RELEASED
    Fred Evans: RELEASED
    Jerome Simpson: RELEASED
    Everson Griffen: Re-signed at 4 yr. 20M
    Chris Cook: RELEASED
    Desmond Bishop: RELEASED
    Toby Gerhart: RELEASED
    Seth Olsen: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    J'Marcus Webb: re-signed at vet. minimum
    Joe Webb: RELEASED
    Marcus Sherels: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Joe Berger: RELEASED
    Marvin Mitchell: RELEASED
    Larry Dean: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Matt Asiata: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Levi Horn: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Justin Trattou: RELEASED

In light of his second DUI and underperformance, I also believe we cut ties with Erin Henderson. Carlson will not be back either IMO.

In free agency we have a few gaping holes:
    1. QB
    2. CB
    3. LB
    4. OG
    5. SS

Here are some signings I think we make.

Wade Smith OG- Houston Texans 3 yr/$18M

Wade Smith has been one of the few bright spots on an underachieving Texans team this year. He was a 2013 Pro Bowler and known for being great in run-blocking. Now, the reason we pay him 6M per year is because he is going to be 33 by the start of next season, and we pay him more annually rather than adding extra years to the deal.

Walter Thurmond III CB- Seattle Seahawks 2 yr. $6M

The Vikings sign Thurmond and finally get back at the Seahawks for signing every player on our roster that has become a free agent since 2009. Thurmond has played very well on the Seahawks top-ranked pass defense, and has filled in for Browner at times and looked great. The Seahawks have too many other DBs to pay, so Thurm becomes available.

NFL Draft:
    1. Houston Texans- Teddy Bridgewater QB/ UL
    2. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (From STL)- Johnny Manziel QB/ TAMU
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars- Jadeveon Clowney DE/S.CAR
    4. Cleveland Browns- Blake Bortles QB/ UCF
    5. Oakland Raiders- Sammy Watkins WR/Clemson
    6. Atlanta Falcons- Jake Matthews OT/TAMU
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Anthony Barr DE/OLB UCLA
    8. St. Louis Rams (From MN)- Mike Evans WR/TAMU
    9. Buffalo Bills- Khalil Mack DE/OLB Buffalo
    10. Detroit Lions- Cyrus Kouandijo OT/Bama

I also think the Rams will take HaHa Clinton-Dix with their other first round pick (13 overall)

This sounds absolutely completely and totally ridiculous, but here is why I have us doing this:
    Rick Spielman knows he needs to put up or shut up this season if he wants to retain his job, and he is going to pick a boom-or-bust player in Johnny Manziel. Could you imagine the excitement around this football team with Johnny at the helm and Jay Gruden teaching him the ropes? Some may say we have more pressing needs on defense, but the QB position is the most important in all of football, and there is no denying that. Do I think this will happen? No, but this is my dream mock so I'm gonna do what I want.

To complete the trade, we give up our first rounder, as well as both thirds and a second round pick next year. It's the price you pay for a guy you want to be your franchise quarterback.

Other picks:

Rd. 2- Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
    Rd. 4- Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee

I honestly don't know who we will take from there, but I imagine we will target some defenseive backs and reserve offensive linemen, maybe a receiver.

2014 Vikings Starters:

Offense:
    QB: Johnny Manziel
    RB: Adrian Peterson
    FB: Jerome Felton
    WR: Greg Jennings, CP84, Jarius Wright
    TE: Kyle Rudolph
    LT: Matt Kalil
    LG: Wade Smith
    C: John Sullivan
    RG: Brandon Fusco
    RT: Phil Loadholt

Defense:
    LE: Brian Robison
    NT: Letroy Guion/McCullers
    UT: Sharrif Floyd
    RE: Everson Griffen
    LOLB: Chad Greenway
    MLB: Shazier/Mauti
    ROLB: Gerald Hodges
    LCB: Xavier Rhodes
    FS: Harrison Smith
    SS: Jamarca Sanford/ Draft pick
    RCB: Walter Thurmond

K: Blair
    P: Locke
    KR: CP84
    PR: Sherels

Share your thoughts. I know some of this is definitely not gonna happen, so feel free to call me a homer, *******, idiot, anything really.
    your post has more holes then the vikings defense. first off you cannot release free agents.another point the rams are going to demand several first round picks for the second pick same with the texans for the top pick. i seriously dont want to give up two or three first round picks to move up.in a perfect world grabbing one of the top qbs would be great .but the vikings need to do thier home work and find a qb in the later rounds.they should have all the cap room they need to fill the holes that need filling. im ok with keeping greenway.the vikings poor coaching and play calling hurt the team worse then anything greenway could have done and the fact he played hurt most of the year hurt also.if carlson retires and they cut henderson(most likely the new head coaches call)they should have 40 to 50 mill in cap room or so ive heard i know allen and williams alone took up near 25 mill in cap room.next as far as jared allen goes . if the vikes cannot secure griffen they need to resign jared and tag griffen . visa versa.other then the three d linemen the rest of the free agents can all walk imo.they can get better players then cook ,c johnson,f evans and mitchell. as for the 8th pick draft bat.grab a qb in rnd 2 then other then a gaurd draft all defense.another note on ponder id atleast give him untill camp too see how a better coaching staff can make adjustments.im so happy that musgrave will be gone im sick and tired of seeing 6 and 8 yard plays called on 3rd and long.one last shot at frazier its a shame he did not work patterson in sooner but i still think he can give the vikings thier 5th off rookie of the year .9 tds lead the rookie class and three or 4 of atleast 75 yards

Quote Originally Posted by dayman26 View Post
    this build was modeled after the bengals recent success.

hc i'm hiring m. Zimmer. He will keep this team in a 4-3 but with a much more aggressive/creative style of attack. Zimmer will whip this team into shape, he likes physical football.

oc i'm hiring chud. I think he can manage a qb's success. He helped d. Anderson make it to the pro bowl, and he had hoyer and campbell playing good for him last year. The success that gordon and cameron had under him is a testament to his ability to get the ball to his playmakers.

players that i dismiss one way or the other
    offense ponder, freeman, gerhart, carlson, c. Johnson, joe webb, simpson
    defense allen, kevin wiliams, guion, chad greenway, e. Henderson, m. Mitchell, bishop, cook

allen and k will deserve a better shot at a sb before retirement, both are done as pro bowl caliber players. Greenway gets destroyed in coverage year after year, this year his play against the run slipped dramatically. On top of his poor play is his high salary and increasing age. As hard off as we are at lb i'm letting him go.

fa my first choice is a, but since those players might be resigned i included my backup plan's, i'm not signing all options, just one in most cases.
    qb a. M. Vick b. Mccown c. Cassel
    i'm really starting to cozy up to the idea of vick. Our new oc likes to challenge teams deep and vick has a great deep ball, something the vikings have lacked for most of the peterson era. Vick can help get the offense i'm assembling for him into one of the top units in the nfl. Mccown is my plan b because he stretches the field and takes care of the ball. I'm not in love with cassel i think his physical limitation's will ultimately limit this offense.
    lg a. J. Asamoah b. G. Schwartz c. T. Wharton d. Richie incognito
    asamoah is a rg so i'm not sure if he or fusco could play lg, but he is a top 20 rated g last season and is only 25. Schwartz was the 8th rated g and wharton the 5th. Incognito is a solid blocker that could come cheap due to his baggage. Since we rely on the run so much i think its very important to not have any weak links in your starting 5.
    dt a. P. Soliai b. R. Starks c. L. Joseph
    both soliai and starks are 30, but they are both good at stuffing the run and that nt presence has been missing on this d. L joseph is a higher risk signing since he's unproven, but he has a lot of upside.
    Lb j. Worilds and v. Rey
    i want to sign them both. V. Rey for depth mostly, but we could start him if we had to. Rey knows zimmer's d, he was a backup ilb for the bengals
    cb a. Verner b. Captain munnerlyn c. Walter thurmond d. Chris harris
    verner was a shutdown cb last year, he is 25 and would make a great paring with rhodes, my #1 target. I'd be thrilled at any of the 4 because they can all cover people in this league.

recap so if all goes according to plan we sign vick, asamoah, soliai, verner, worilds and rey. I know that might seem like a lot to spend, and normally i wouldn't suggest relying so much on free agents, but this team has more problems then the 2014 draft can fix, more then the #8 pick can fix. I don't want to be locked into taking a defender at 8 that isn't going to be a cure all anyway. We owe it to peterson to get competitive in a hurry, hell, they owe it to us fans as well.

draft mimic the bengals
    1. Wr sammy watkins
    2. Olb kyle van noy
    2. Qb jimmy garoppolo
    4. Nt daniel mccullers

i'm taking watkins with the 8th pick because he's a top 5 talent, will be bpa when the vikings pick, and he's the true #1 wr we've been missing since moss. Watkins will challenge teams vertically and make teams think twice about loading the box for ad or blitzing the qb. Olb kyle van noy has outstanding athleticism, does extremely well in pass coverage and playing in space, and is also a very talented pass rusher. A perfect fit as a zimmer 4-3 olb. Jimmy garoppolo is our version of dalton. Dalton has a quick release and was a 2nd round pick after the bengals took aj green. The qb with the best release in this draft, you guessed it, jimmy garoppolo. What impresses me besides his quick release is his accuracy, his rapid fire decision making, and his willingness to test every level of a d. Mccullers is a project nt but zimmer likes his big d lineman ala m. Johnson and m. Hunt. As for the rest of the draft we need a de, backup for floyd, and a nickel cb.

Qb vick, garoppolo
    rb peterson, asiata
    fb felton
    wr watkins, patterson, jennings, wright
    te rudolph, ellison, ford
    lt kalil
    lg j. Asamoah
    c. Sully
    rg fusco
    rt loadholt

re griffin
    3t floyd
    nt soliai, evans, mccullers
    le robison
    lolb worilds
    ilb cole, v. Rey
    rolb kyle van noy, hodges
    cb x. Rhodes, a. Verner, robinson
    nickel cb sherels
    fs h. Smith, sanford
    ss sendejo, sanford

i start sendejo at ss because of his tackling and te coverage ability. Zimmer likes to blitz s's and play them in the box quite often, sendejo would be perfect for this. Verner and rhodes will be left alone a lot so our d can attack the qb. Soliai will eat up double teams to clear up the lb's and stuff the run. On offense i think the additions of watkins and vick's ability to throw deep open up the offense and gets the 8th man out of the box. With the addition of asamoah this should be a top end line blocking against 7 man fronts. Then you add in the playmaking ability patterson has and the things he can do in space. Then you have the 4th and 5th options in jennings and rudolph, watch out.

Don't think this team can't compete next year, if the chiefs can have a turnaround like they did i see no reason why this team couldn't duplicate those results.

no way in hell do i want the highly over rated mike vick at qb.he is a waste at qb. He should have been a rb but some idiot told him he could be a qb. Hell id rather go teblo the vick they have togather worse arms then ponder

and to cut sherrils is just plain stupid if any thing he is a dangerous punt returner

why trade back so far i think if they do trade back they do so no further then 4 spots backtrading from 8th to the mid to late 20s is not a good use of the draft.surely some one would move up fron 10th to 12 th to 8 .either way i think spielman will do another stellar job at drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    no way in hell do i want the highly over rated mike vick at qb.he is a waste at qb. He should have been a rb but some idiot told him he could be a qb. Hell id rather go teblo the vick they have togather worse arms then ponder
    I get what your saying here but Vick still has a cannon for an arm. The knock on him, especially now, is that he can't stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    Well thanks for your input, I'm a little surprised at how many of the fans don't want to touch Vick. I was thinking with Watkins and his deep ball that could open up the underneath routes for Patterson and take some pressure off the D. At the same time we'd have a new coach, new coordinators, a developmental QB of the future. I find it really hard to believe that if we had this offseason Viking fans wouldn't be really excited.

Vick is not an option for us, but he is no way a waste of a qb.
    He just was never durable.

Quote Originally Posted by KW93KB24 View Post
    Vick is not an option for us, but he is no way a waste of a qb.
    He just was never durable.
    Why is he not an option? He is better than what the Vikes currently have and more of a known quantity than anything the Vikes could get in the draft.

Vikings Mock Offseason

HC: Mike Zimmer
    OC: Scott Linehan
    DC: Paul Guenther
    ST: Mike Preifer

Released/Don't Re-sign:
    A. Jefferson
    K. Williams
    J. Allen
    D. Bishop
    C. Cook
    T. Gerhart
    E. Henderson - saves us $2 million against the cap to cut him
    J. Carlson - saves us $2 million against the cap to cut him
    L. Guion - saves us $4 million against the cap to cut him
    J. Sanford - saves us $2.5 million against the cap to cut him

Trade:
    C. Ponder for a 4th and a 7th round pick (saves us $1.5 million against the cap)

Don't cut/Resign:
    E. Griffen - 4 years/$26 million ($6.5 million per year)
    J. Berger - 2 years at veteran minimum for a depth signing. ($800,000)
    C. Johnson - he's been awful but it only saves us $250,000 against the cap to cut him so he'd be cheaper then bringing in a new backup. Obviously he moves to a bench role.
    J. Webb - 2 years at veteran minimum for a depth signing ($750,000)
    J. Webb - 2 years at veteran minimum for a depth signing/ special teams ($750,000)
    M. Asiata - 2 years at veteran minimum for a depth signing ($550,000)

In total we now have $28 million in cap space after all those moves.

Free Agents: (underlined)
    Alterraun Verner, 5 year/$45 million ($9 million per year)
    Geoff Schwartz, G - 3 year/$12 million ($4 million per year)
    Brandon Spikes, MLB - 4 year/ $16 million ($4 million per year)

After all that we'd still have $12 million in cap space. The key for me would be to restructure and front-load some contracts for some guys we'll have to pay in the future. By doing it now we can spend right to the cap this year, but maintain our cap flexibility in the long-term.

Draft: (bold and italic)
    1. Sammy Watkins, WR
    2. Ryan Shazier, LB
    3. Zach Mettenberger, QB
    3. Daniel McCullers, NT
    4. Louchiez Purifoy, CB
    4. Aaron Murray, QB
    5. DeAnthony Thomas, RB
    6. Cassius Marsh, DE
    7. DeAndre Coleman, NT
    7. Cornelius Lucas, RT

Offense:
    QB: Mettenberger, Cassel, Murray
    RB: Peterson, Thomas, Asiata
    FB: Felton, Line
    WR: Jennings, Wright, Webb
    WR: Watkins, Patterson, Childs
    TE: Rudolph, Ellison, Ford
    LT: Kalil, Webb
    LG: Schwartz, Johnson
    C: Sullivan, Berger
    RG: Fusco, Baca
    RT: Loadholt, Lucas

4-3 Defense:
    DE: Griffen, Trattou
    DT: Floyd, Baker
    NT: McCullers, Coleman
    DE: Robison, Marsh
    OLB: Shazier, Hodges
    MLB: Spikes, Cole
    OLB: Greenway, Mauti
    CB: Rhodes, Purifoy
    FS: Smith, Prater
    SS: Sendejo, Raymond
    CB: Verner, Robinson, Blanton

LOS: Loeffler
    K: Walsh
    P: Locke
    KR: Cordarrelle Patterson
    PR: Cordarrelle Patterson

What I like about it is that if all goes according to plan, our only real need long-term is for an elite QB (assuming both Murray and Metternberger fall flat). We've held onto all our future draft picks and maintained a ton of cap flexibility while basically filling all of our other holes with young, high ceiling talent. I actually didn't want to mock Watkins to us at all but after having filled out the rest of the team through free agency and the bottom half of the draft I realized it came down to either reaching for QB (Carr) or taking a guy who to me is a sure thing in Watkins and then taking a chance on a QB like Mettenberger. The way I saw it, Watkins + Mettenberger was a better combination than Carr + Moncrief.

Thoughts?

So we draft 2 QBs coming off ACL injuries? No thanks.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast