Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I'd do Shark for Brenly!

Bam, manager vacancy solved

Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    ....I'd rather we give shark a contract.

Possible the trade talk is also an effort to put pressure on Shark to sign. Hometown boy gotta believe he wants to be on the Cubs team that wins it all.

Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    They certainly do. Stroman and Sanchez are good arms for sure. Osuna and Norris are interesting as well. Nolin looked good until he hit the majors as well. Then you guys have a mess of other arms that could be potential 3rd or 4th pieces to any deal. I'm sure Russell could be packaged as well to add two good ML pieces.
    Me personally, I'd be good giving up almost any combination of the non-Sanchez guys you mentioned for Shark but I kind of assumed that wouldn't be enough. I think the market for two years of a guy with that kind of arm is stronger than you guys seem to, but we'll see. Hope you're right though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYF View Post
    Possible the trade talk is also an effort to put pressure on Shark to sign. Hometown boy gotta believe he wants to be on the Cubs team that wins it all.
    Expecting him to get a real long term deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Not expecting it but also not necessarily expecting a trade at this point either. I could see a trade if they get the overpay they have wanted all along. I could easily see this playing out with Shark backing off some of the demands like the no trade and maybe even giving a home town discount of some type. All I mean is we don't know anything yet. Quite possible there is some gamesmanship here on one or both sides.
    Last edited by NYF; 11-05-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: phone ugh

Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Me personally, I'd be good giving up almost any combination of the non-Sanchez guys you mentioned for Shark but I kind of assumed that wouldn't be enough. I think the market for two years of a guy with that kind of arm is stronger than you guys seem to, but we'll see. Hope you're right though.
    I would assume Sanchez would be a must, but I mean if the Blue jays offered Stroman, Osuna and Norris.. that would be tempting.

DBacks and Cubs talking Samardzija trade

I could see something like Osuna, Stroman, Cardona and a low level lottery prospect for Shark.

Skaggs is a young 22, me as a Dback fan first and Cub fan 2nd would love the Cubs to get Skaggs. Skaggs has the stuff to be a very good pitcher, him and a top prospect like Davidson IMO would be very great for the cubs. Both Skaggs and Davidson are MIB ready and could be a big part of the cubs not to distant future.

Skaggs+Delgado+Eaton+Holmberg for Samardzija+Russel

Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    ....I'd rather we give shark a contract.
    This.

Maybe we can just keep trading our decent MLB talents for prospects and be the NL Central's new Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    More on this by Samardzija himself a couple hours after we were discussing this last night. Kaplan apparently had Samardziga on his show via phone interview:

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/jeff-...winning-period

"I think the only thing with me signing a contract is winning ballgames and competing and playing in October," Samardzija said. "That's it. This game, a lot of other things get talked about, but when you talk about stability and this and that, let's be honest. We play baseball, so we travel a lot regardless. Necessarily where you're playing isn't going to be where you are all the time. Teams change, things change. And money's always going to be there if you do your job and you do it how you're supposed to do it, you're a leader and you're a professional. Those two things are null and void. It's about winning. Period. It's about being on a team that wins. Obviously that's what this organization wants to do.

"There's no reason why that can't be the Cubs. And that's what I've been saying this whole time. This is where I want to be. I grew up here. For me to say I want to be somewhere else is ridiculous. That's not the case, I want it to happen here, and it needs to happen here. It's about that time. I think everybody wants it and I think everyone is dying for it just as bad as I am."

While there will be much talk over if and when Samardzija will sign an extension to remain in Chicago, the pitcher said there's plenty of time left

"This is where I want to be," Samardzija said. "And the truth of the matter is I've got two years of arbitration left. That's a lot of time to prove to myself and to everybody that we can win here. And that's what I'm banking on. We've still got some time left to get this done, and I don't everything is cut in stone that it needs to be now, it needs to be next month or this or that. As long as both sides in agreement, it's what I want and they want that's important, then that's what it's all about for me. As long as we're on the same page, then you're happy with what happens and you're happy with the outcome."
    Shark confirms wanting to be here when the team wins. Not out of line with what he's said all along. He seems to see himself as a leader and apparently thinks he can pressure the front office to put a winner on the field. As I said yesterday, very likely some gamesmanship going on on both sides but it would be in the best interests of both to get a deal done. Samardzija not stepping forward to make himself a cornerstone hurts the process as well. He needs to realize that in my opinion.

That's just something players say. Of course he wants to stay in Chicago. If they meet his price.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Maybe we can just keep trading our decent MLB talents for prospects and be the NL Central's new Pirates.
    The Cubs are the version of the Pirates that takes 2 years to rebuild, not 20, and has money to spend once the homegrown core has arrived. So, something closer to the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    That's just something players say. Of course he wants to stay in Chicago. If they meet his price.
    Agreed. I think there is posturing going on on both sides. Timing is the thing. I don't think the team waits around for 2 years of arbitration to run out the way Samardzija seems to think. This interview could also be seen as a sign that Samardzija is dug and resolute in his demands too. Guess we'll have to see.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast