Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

DBacks and Cubs talking Samardzija trade

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but the Diamondback and Cubs are discussing a Jeff Samardzija trade. It appears as though the DBacks are quite interested and have several top pitchers, mainly southpaws to choose from.

Personally, I like it if we can get at least one REALLY good top pitching prospect in return. Given how a deal seems unlikely and an agreement hasn't been reached prior, this seems like a valid option and a pretty nice deal if they give up something good.

http://beta.thescore.com/news/341575

We better be getting someone that's something special and - year or two from being mlb ready.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

I don't have much issue saying that my interest in anything not involving Bradley is close to 0.

^This. If it doesn't involve Bradley and instead features Skaggs as a headliner, I'd want something like Eaton and Davidson additionally, which I know is too much for Arizona, but Cubbie blue colored glasses.

Something like Skaggs, with his recent troubles, and Eaton plus a lottery ticket type player or two for Shark and maybe another smaller piece from us.

I think Shark is a solid major league arm. I don't think he's a traditional ace, but I don't think many guys are. He's got low mileage on his arm, and is a fiery competitor. He turn 29 in January, so he's just entering his prime. We have 2 more years of control over him, which I think is key.

My position on him is simple. We either need to sign him to an extension this offseason or trade him. Period. It looks like he's less then interested in signing an extension, so for me personally, he has to be dealt. I can clearly remember the whole Matt Garza charade, and want to avoid that whit Shark.

I want to get back the best haul we can for Shark, don't particularly care who we deal with. But people need to come down from the whole "If Bradley isn't involved, I'm not interested" bit. Diamondbacks have a slew of interesting names besides Bradley. Skaggs and Delgado are guys who are ready to join the big club. Chaffin and Holmberg are guys that would give us much needed lefty arms with ML potential. Davidson would give us a ML bat. Owings would be valuable, especially if they decide to move Castro and aren't in love with Baez at SS. Trahan would immediate give us an actual catching prospect. And a guy like Barrett could join our pen.

Out of those guys you could build a more then respectable package for Shark. Obviously Bradley is the prize, but you could get a solid package if the Diamondbacks really are interested. I'd do a Skaggs, Delgado, Trahan and Holmberg for Shark and Russell / Lake.

I want Archie Bradley very badly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I want Archie Bradley very badly!!!
    I seriously doubt he is available. But there are still many good players to choose from. To me Delgado makes a lot of sense as one of the players. Not saying he is the centerpiece, but he does make sense. The Cubs liked him before and he can be put into the rotation this year. I don't really know much about the others, and will not pretend to know what is fair value for Shark. I am just saying Delgado+ makes a lot of sense to me.

Have heard that the Cubs are focused on the D'Backs for Shark mainly due to Towers being willing to include multiple high end assets whereas no other team (including the Royals) are, to this point, willing to add secondary pieces of the level the D'Backs have out there... Ex.: The Royals have kicked around Zimmer's name however will not include anyone of (true) value over A ball...

Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Have heard that the Cubs are focused on the D'Backs for Shark mainly due to Towers being willing to include multiple high end assets whereas no other team (including the Royals) are, to this point, willing to add secondary pieces of the level the D'Backs have out there... Ex.: The Royals have kicked around Zimmer's name however will not include anyone of (true) value over A ball...
    Damn Dayton.. will deal Myers and Oddorizzi for Shields but Zimmer and Almonte would be a stretch?

Would one of these assets be of the Bradley variety?
    BRYZZO
    Souvenir Company

Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    Damn Dayton.. will deal Myers and Oddorizzi for Shields but Zimmer and Almonte would be a stretch?
    Funny tidbit: Talking to a Royals higher up 'we really like Samardzija, we thought we liked him moreso than anyone else- we were apparently dead wrong' I brought up how I was told they would 'set the market price on Shark' His response: 'We were willing to pay top dollar for a fully loaded [Ford] F-150 but by the time we got to the dealership someone else thought they were buying a Lotus...'

Quote Originally Posted by CubsFan/Realist View Post
    Would one of these assets be of the Bradley variety?
    No.

Funny tidbit: Talking to a Royals higher up 'we really like Samardzija, we thought we liked him moreso than anyone else- we were apparently dead wrong' I brought up how I was told they would 'set the market price on Shark' His response: 'We were willing to pay top dollar for a fully loaded [Ford] F-150 but by the time we got to the dealership someone else thought they were buying a Lotus...'

No.
    Boo on the No to Bradley but I guess that was all hopes and dreams to begin with. Have you heard anything about what the Cubs are asking for?

Something like Skaggs+Eaton really doesn't do it for me. If Towers is slobbering on Shark to the level Ty suggests I don't understand why Bradley would be off the table. That isn't to say I'm taking issue with what Ty himself is saying, I'm taking issue with Towers "Please, I'll do anything, except the one obvious thing you'd want to do" stance.

While I wouldn't trade Archie for Samardzija if I were the Dbacks, I don't see many high end assets that would be available from them. I'd probably take Zimmer + random A ball player over the quantity-over-quality deal the Dbacks could offer with Skaggs, Holmberg, Eaton, etc. I guess if the Dbacks really like him, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with the names, but I'm not seeing it. I'd be pretty disappointed if Skaggs is headlining this.

Yeah if the D'Backs are not willing to give up I dont see a deal. Unless they offer Skaggs, and 2/3 in Holmberg, Delgado, or Wade Miley for Samardzija. They might not be Bradley, but atleast they would give Cubs more SP depth and we all know we need sp depth. Also include Eaton or Davidson and we got a 4-2 deal.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast