Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,924

    Reds intend to trade Phillips

    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    The #Reds decided a month ago that they will shop Brandon Phillips this winter w all intents to trade him
    4:17 PM - 18 Oct 2013

    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-in-offseason

    exactly what most of us expected. Don't call your over priced contract a slap in the face and then expect to stay.
    **********

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    4,392
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    The #Reds decided a month ago that they will shop Brandon Phillips this winter w all intents to trade him
    4:17 PM - 18 Oct 2013

    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-in-offseason

    exactly what most of us expected. Don't call your over priced contract a slap in the face and then expect to stay.
    Be prepared to see every type of weird and nonsensical trade imaginable.. BP has talent and performs. He's had a slight regression in his numbers, so expect the regression to be characterized as a falling off/disaster.. The attitude thing will go almost into any permutation of Milton Bradley-esque discussions you can imagine..

    Oh.. the first trade suggestions will probably include really bad/expensive multi-year contracts where a new venue will restore that player to former glory..

    Should be a fun off season in the Nati...w/ the BP trade scenarios brewing and being revealed every day...

    Have fun with it..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    Well clearly the Reds have something up. I see this as a move to free up salary to sign a couple other players.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,924
    I know the Braves want to trade Uggla for Phillips... um... no! or how about hell no. The Reds would basically be trading one terrible contract for another terrible one.

    Unless they plan on throwing in a top prospect or something, I'm not even interested.
    **********

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I know the Braves want to trade Uggla for Phillips... um... no! or how about hell no. The Reds would basically be trading one terrible contract for another terrible one.

    Unless they plan on throwing in a top prospect or something, I'm not even interested.
    The only difference is that Uggla only has 2 years remaining on his big deal (Phillips has 4 years). Uggla is from Louisville and perhaps a fresh start playing for what may have been his favorite team growing up is all he needs. If the Reds could get 2 good years from Uggla it would be worth making the deal. Although I agree with you, the Reds need to get more than just Uggla.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,359
    So, we might entertain the thoughts of trading BP to the Braves for Dan ".179" Uggla, who will be 34 by the time the 2014 season starts? Uhhhhhh....no........Unless they're willing to throw in Hayward........


    I fam president of the #JoshAllen2Raiders bandwagon. Who wants to join me?
    N. Cog Neato, Vallejo Raiders, Plunkett4HoF, Megatron

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,359
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I know the Braves want to trade Uggla for Phillips... um... no! or how about hell no. The Reds would basically be trading one terrible contract for another terrible one.

    Unless they plan on throwing in a top prospect or something, I'm not even interested.
    I'd make this trade if the Bengals are willing to trade Geno Atkins to the Oakland Raiders for a 7th rounder....


    I fam president of the #JoshAllen2Raiders bandwagon. Who wants to join me?
    N. Cog Neato, Vallejo Raiders, Plunkett4HoF, Megatron

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,359
    123, 167, 171, 150, 149, 156, 168, and 171.....his strikeout totals every year in the big leagues.....you put him in Cincy, and GABP gets 10 degrees cooler with all of his "whiffs"


    I fam president of the #JoshAllen2Raiders bandwagon. Who wants to join me?
    N. Cog Neato, Vallejo Raiders, Plunkett4HoF, Megatron

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,924
    The only way the Reds would trade for Uggla would be if they get a top prospect who is already major league ready thrown in. Preferably a SS. a LFer would probably work too.

    Replacing Dusty proved that 90+ wins and a playoff berth 3/4 years isn't enough. The ownership clearly wants a WS and they want it now. Hence, they will want someone who could contribute right away, not a few years down the road.
    **********

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,359
    But adding Uggla to the whiffs that our lineup already has would be disastrous, imo. Bruce, Ludwick, Cozart, and even Votto(I think) all had >100 strikeouts......don't need to add another 150+


    I fam president of the #JoshAllen2Raiders bandwagon. Who wants to join me?
    N. Cog Neato, Vallejo Raiders, Plunkett4HoF, Megatron

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    But adding Uggla to the whiffs that our lineup already has would be disastrous, imo. Bruce, Ludwick, Cozart, and even Votto(I think) all had >100 strikeouts......don't need to add another 150+

    I totally agree! We need hitters who hit for a good avg and make good contact on the ball.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,924
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    But adding Uggla to the whiffs that our lineup already has would be disastrous, imo. Bruce, Ludwick, Cozart, and even Votto(I think) all had >100 strikeouts......don't need to add another 150+
    No one's disagreeing with you
    **********

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    The only way the Reds would trade for Uggla would be if they get a top prospect who is already major league ready thrown in. Preferably a SS. a LFer would probably work too.

    Replacing Dusty proved that 90+ wins and a playoff berth 3/4 years isn't enough. The ownership clearly wants a WS and they want it now. Hence, they will want someone who could contribute right away, not a few years down the road.
    I agree 100%. Uggla is just a salary dump for the Braves, but for the Reds its a way to reduce the money owed to Phillips by 50%. I think the Reds can find a better deal. Brandon still has value and comparatively his contract is not that bad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,924
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I agree 100%. Uggla is just a salary dump for the Braves, but for the Reds its a way to reduce the money owed to Phillips by 50%. I think the Reds can find a better deal. Brandon still has value and comparatively his contract is not that bad.
    I think the Reds might have to eat a decent part of his contract, but I do agree there are better deals out there
    **********

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,049
    I know the front office is a bit ticked at Brandon right now, but somewhere along the line I think they will kiss and make up and lesson will be learned. Brandon has some good years left in him. No matter where he bats in the lineup, he produces. This year he was asked to bat cleanup and drive runs in..... he did. Although some of his numbers declined a bit, I think if batting somewhere else in the lineup will improve that. Batting 2nd... your asked to move runners and spray the ball..... he is at his best when doing that. Defensively he is one of the best. Don't get me wrong though if the big brass trade him......... I like the message sent!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •