Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    He has 3 points in 4 games is an even 0 when his line mates are each -2 (or were in Coyle's case). I dont see the give away being a problem at all and I dont think a single one from Granlund has led to a score for the opposition. He is on of the leaders for blocked shots for our forwards. He has played some PK time. He has shown to be bigger, faster, stronger and more of an all around player. He his shown his extreme creativity and intelligent play throughout the season. If your prediction for him was to be a 30g scorer then yes you were wrong. He is a cerebral player that will put up points through setting people up. He actual has a average shot (not a plus shot line Nino or Coyle) but he has a big plus passing. He can be a 60-70 pt guy around 20-50 split. We wont see that this year, or next or maybe even the year after that but I dont get how saying his game is **** is anywhere close to what it has been.

And here is another way to think of it, and this is another indicator of why I think we should lose Yeo. Name our top three forwards. Easily Parise, Koivu and Pominville. But name our fourth, Coyle? Yeah probably if he was healthy. Nino? He has shown the potential to be an impact top 6 forward. Granlund? Well he is our most productive player outside those top 3. Heatley or Zucker? Thats a laugh. You could put up a argument for Cooke actually. But there is no clear #4 so what does Yeo do? Pairs the best three on the top line and leaves the other lines with the ?. It wasnt until last game he broke them up and we won, not directly because of that but I would say our top line was just as productive if not more dominant with Nino then Pomin. The second line needs a strong shooter, which it doesnt have.

When Coyle comes back:
    -------
    Parise - Koivu - Nino
    Heatley - Coyle - Pomminville
    Cooke - Brodziak - Granlund
    Fontaine - Konopka - Mitchell

I like that a lot. Especially if Nino and Coyle continue to play the way they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    When Coyle comes back:
    -------
    Parise - Koivu - Nino
    Heatley - Coyle - Pomminville
    Cooke - Brodziak - Granlund
    Fontaine - Konopka - Mitchell

I like that a lot. Especially if Nino and Coyle continue to play the way they have been.
    Parise/Coyle/Pom
    Granlund/Koivu/Nino
    Cooke/Brodziak/Heatley

Put Coyle with Parise and Pominville, and watch that line completely dominate.

Put Koivu with Granlund and Nino, and watch the hard work and two way play of Koivu rub off on the youngsters.

Put Heatley on line three with the physical play of Cooke and Brodziak, and watch that shot score goals.

or just keep the lines the same.

line play has not been anywhere near our weakness this year...goaltending has.

We have outskated, out shot, been dominate on the PP, and have won more than just the majority of faceoffs.

Had we had solid goaltending through the first three games, no one would be knocking Yeo, because he does have the team skating hard, and he is putting talented lines out there.

Harding has played a great game and 2+ periods, Backstrom cant put a complete game up.

Like honestly...we could have 8 points easily right now, if Backstrom didnt give up such easy goals, or just made a play from time to time.

Since Backstrom became our regular goalie, he has just been a product of the system. He puts up solid numbers, but when you watch the games, the ones we lose tend to come down to Backstrom...whether it be a shootout (which he is horrendous at), giving up a goal that is a routine play for a goaltender...and he could make up for some of those losses if he could steal us a win from time to time...but he doesnt. He loses games when the team around him outplays opponents, and when the team is outplayed by opponents, he can't steal a win...when was the last time you watched a game, and you thought to yourself "thank god for Backstrom?" In a very limited role, I have found myself saying "thank god for Harding" much more than Backstrom...and Harding isnt even that great, he is just better than Backstrom, and always seems to step up when called upon.

I am seriously so done with Backstrom...unfortunately we gave him a 3 year deal. The Wild possibly have the worst goaltending situation in the league...the #1 guy can't get it done, and the #2 guy looks better, but has MS...and we have a couple middle of the rode prospects who won't be able to take over for at least two more years.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 10-12-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Im alright with Backstrom. He is an average NHL goalie. Harding really looks like he could become a good starter and if they keep his MS under control with medication I see no reason why he couldnt become an above average goalie. I think hte lines once Coyle is healthy should be

Parise-Koivu-Nino
    Granlund-Coyle-Pomin
    Heatley-Brod-Cooke
    Fontaine/Rupp-Zenon-Mitchell

Stars @ Wild tonight at 7.

goaltending.

We looked good tonight. You're right, goaltending helps.

Dumba and Fontaine both got their first goals, that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    We looked good tonight. You're right, goaltending helps.

Dumba and Fontaine both got their first goals, that's awesome.
    Obviously goaltending helps, but my point through the whole season thus far, is that goaltending has cost us points...or rather Backstrom has cost us points. Harding in two starts, has gotten us the maximum of 4 points. Backstrom seems to have the flair to let opponents back into the game. For example, when we are leading 3-1 in this game, it would be so Backstrom like to allow a goal to make it 3-2, thus swinging momentum.

[QUOTE=pidg88;27191186]
    Dumba isnt ready......
    QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?.. I think he has looked pretty good overall in his 3 games, even had a very nice PP goal Saturday night. I love his potential in the offensive zone. Still not quite sure if they will keep him here for the year but I'd like to see it. I dont know who we have thats better.

With the exception of a few minutes we have been playing very well tonight. Nice passing and a lot of opportunities. Stoner has looked really bad at moments but nothing out of the ordinary.

[QUOTE=JoeBlessU;27209146]
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Dumba isnt ready......
    QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?.. I think he has looked pretty good overall in his 3 games, even had a very nice PP goal Saturday night. I love his potential in the offensive zone. Still not quite sure if they will keep him here for the year but I'd like to see it. I dont know who we have thats better.
    Prospect we have that is better? None, but right now Stoner and Scandella are more valuable defenders then he is in the actual NHL. I have no doubt Dumba can be a #2 in the future, maybe even a 3-4 next year, but he isnt ready right now for more then 12-15 TOI a game. His first game was awful, his second game was below average. He had a nice PP goal yes and his last few games he has looked better but that doesnt mean he stays. He has two games that were very bad and two games that were...good/average. For his development he needs around 20+ TOI a night, shutting down opposing top lines and running a top PP unit, and he is not going to get that here. Hence he is not ready, and after his 9 games I believe he will be sent back to Red Deer. If we are not a playoff aspirational team I maybe keep him and make him learn the hard way about the NHL but there is no need right now. But he is going to make more mistakes then a Stoner/Scandella, and we cant really take the growing pains of a rookie on our blue line.

Btw thought (because I was bored) I would make this real quick for us to look at

TK GV
    K. Ballard D 1 4
    J. Brodin D 3 2
    K. Brodziak C 1 2
    M. Cooke LW 3 4
    C. Coyle C 1
    J. Fontaine RW 3 2
    M. Granlund C 3 2
    D. Heatley RW 3 2
    M. Koivu C 5 2
    Z. Konopka C 1 1
    T. Mitchell C 3 1
    N. Niederreiter RW 6 3
    Z. Parise LW 6 4
    J. Pominville RW 1 1
    M. Scandella D 1
    J. Spurgeon D 1 3
    C. Stoner D 1 1
    R. Suter D 3 3
    M. Dumba 2
    S. Veilleux 1

So as you can see, Granlund is on par with about every player when it comes to give aways and same with take aways. Is this a completely accurate depiction of his turnovers? No, but this combined with his just being a -1 in +/- (which doesnt matter either way until you get to double digits) I would not say he has been the liability/not ready that you are saying. Combined with I think he is still leading the team in assists (again only with three so take it as it is) I think he is doing just fine this year and we need a much larger sample size to say he has looked like our worst forward and not ready and etc.

EDIT: The formatting wont fit perfect so you have to look at it yourself. First column is TK second is GV

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Btw thought (because I was bored) I would make this real quick for us to look at

TK GV
    K. Ballard D 1 4
    J. Brodin D 3 2
    K. Brodziak C 1 2
    M. Cooke LW 3 4
    C. Coyle C 1
    J. Fontaine RW 3 2
    M. Granlund C 3 2
    D. Heatley RW 3 2
    M. Koivu C 5 2
    Z. Konopka C 1 1
    T. Mitchell C 3 1
    N. Niederreiter RW 6 3
    Z. Parise LW 6 4
    J. Pominville RW 1 1
    M. Scandella D 1
    J. Spurgeon D 1 3
    C. Stoner D 1 1
    R. Suter D 3 3
    M. Dumba 2
    S. Veilleux 1

So as you can see, Granlund is on par with about every player when it comes to give aways and same with take aways. Is this a completely accurate depiction of his turnovers? No, but this combined with his just being a -1 in +/- (which doesnt matter either way until you get to double digits) I would not say he has been the liability/not ready that you are saying. Combined with I think he is still leading the team in assists (again only with three so take it as it is) I think he is doing just fine this year and we need a much larger sample size to say he has looked like our worst forward and not ready and etc.

EDIT: The formatting wont fit perfect so you have to look at it yourself. First column is TK second is GV
    He's looked much better over the past two games. Still looks a little weak but his passing and forechecking/backchecking looks nice.
    Last edited by natelpete; 10-15-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast