Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 211 of 216 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3226
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Losing Wrigley would impact a segment of Cubs fandom. Look at it logically. Why would the Ricketts invest about a billion dollars into Wrigley and the neighborhood if they could receive tax money for a new park in the burbs? Did they spend that billion out of sentimentality? Doesnít seem like they are the type to spend a billion on sentimentality. They did it because it was the better investment. The value of Wrigley made it worth the money. Remember Joe Ricketts talking about how Tom sold him on buying the Cubs by showing him that they draw well even when they suck? Wrigley is a big part of that value.
    I donít disagree with anything you are saying. I am talking strictly from my personal POV. For me, I would rather they had a brand new stadium with a retractable roof and all the top of the line amenities. For me, I would enjoy the game more in that sort of stadium. I am a Cubs fan. Not a Wrigley fan. Since I would go to the game anyway, it would be great to be comfortable and enjoy better amenities. I would not miss freezing most of the early part of the season.

I know the neighborhood is different now, but they played to no more than a 20 k average crowd until 1984, in this same field. They never drew fans until they won the NL East that year. Winning is what brought more fans.

The neighborhood is much more appealing today than ever before. But in my opinion, the field itself is a dump.

I think that if they didn't have a mortgage payment on the field, they may have moved. But you just can't leave a baseball field that you're making mortgage payments sitting there empty.

To each his own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I know the neighborhood is different now, but they played to no more than a 20 k average crowd until 1984, in this same field. They never drew fans until they won the NL East that year. Winning is what brought more fans.

The neighborhood is much more appealing today than ever before. But in my opinion, the field itself is a dump.

I think that if they didn't have a mortgage payment on the field, they may have moved. But you just can't leave a baseball field that you're making mortgage payments sitting there empty.

Why does everything have to be 100% black or white with you? Calling Wrigley a dump is a huge leap from what I am saying. As far as old parks go the field is amazing. They did a great job with the field. Just because it is a field that doesn't have all the modern amenities, or a retractable dome does not make it a dump. As I said, I am not even a fan of the park. I would rather they had a newer place to play. I would rather be comfortable at the park in April and May because of a dome. But referring to the park as a dump is just crazy talk, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

Marketing, not winning. It wasnít unique before the 80s. Lots of teams played in old parks. The other team in town did. Then they started showing every game nationally and highlighting the Wrigley experience because most of those teams were bad. It built the fan base regionally. Now they draw well win or lose. That doesnít happen the same way at Miller park 2 in Rosemont.

Wrigley is the furthest thing from a dump right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Part of the reason they raise the prices is because the Cubs are a large market team. Much like how the Cubs raise the prices for good teams, too.

I don't think it's impossible to say that the Cubs have made many roads to being a Cubs fans nation wide. They're a large market. They have tons of fans.

But why can the Cubs capture hearts and minds unlike the White Sox can? I'd argue a good deal of that is the field. Both placement and the actual viewing experience. Why do fans cross the country to see a Cubs game in Chicago at some point in their lives? Wrigley. If also argue it has just as much nostalgic feel as Yankees Stadium did (they won more, but nostalgia does not just equate to winning). I don't think Wrigley is the only reason the Cubs have a monster fan base, but I absolutely think it's a factor.

I get of some people are cool with them changing out Wrigley and it's fair to have that feeling. I would be highly disappointed. There's something about Wrigley that makes me wax poetic about baseball that other places don't. And makes me wax poetic about sports that other places I like going to, don't. I love going to Wrigley even when the Cubs aren't great. I have no interest in going to Great American Ballpark if the Reds suck and are playing a suck *** team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Donít misunderstand me... I love Wrigley. Itís a great place to see a ballgame... maybe the best IMO. But itís still just a stadium. You ask why the White Sox have trouble drawing interest... well they are in competition with the Cubs who had WGN (Nationally). You also say that cubs fans ďpilgrimageĒ t Wrigley... but the also do for a brand new facility in AZ every March.

Cubs fan gonna Cubs fan... thatís all there is too it, it doesnít matter where itís at.

But I do love Wrigley.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Losing Wrigley would impact a segment of Cubs fandom. Look at it logically. Why would the Ricketts invest about a billion dollars into Wrigley and the neighborhood if they could receive tax money for a new park in the burbs? Did they spend that billion out of sentimentality? Doesnít seem like they are the type to spend a billion on sentimentality. They did it because it was the better investment. The value of Wrigley made it worth the money. Remember Joe Ricketts talking about how Tom sold him on buying the Cubs by showing him that they draw well even when they suck? Wrigley is a big part of that value.
    Maybe Iím overstating the lack of impact... sure some fans would stop being fans, most would likely cry but still be avid fans and some wouldnít care at all or would be excited to have a new park. I just think the amount of people negatively affected would be minimal.

As to why they chose to rebuild the park? I can speak about that and you make a good case that the Risketts felt Wrigley was an essential part of the Cubs... but I could also suggest that a brand new team owner moving a historic team from its historic field may not have went well.

Maybe the answer lies somewhere between...

I agree that Wrigley is absolutely NOT a dump.

Have you been to Dodgers Stadium? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Maybe Iím overstating the lack of impact... sure some fans would stop being fans, most would likely cry but still be avid fans and some wouldnít care at all or would be excited to have a new park. I just think the amount of people negatively affected would be minimal.

As to why they chose to rebuild the park? I can speak about that and you make a good case that the Risketts felt Wrigley was an essential part of the Cubs... but I could also suggest that a brand new team owner moving a historic team from its historic field may not have went well.

Maybe the answer lies somewhere between...
    If Wrigley wasnít worth the investment to fix it, they wouldnít have done it. They looked at the options and felt rehabbing Wrigley was the best one. Then they invested a billion into the park and neighborhood (so they say). I imagine you donít make a billion dollar investment into something unless you think itís going to give you a big return. Thatís the value of Wrigley.

7 years I've been on the waitlist and I finally got the call. Thanks to the direction this team is headed, the conversation wasn't very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    7 years I've been on the waitlist and I finally got the call. Thanks to the direction this team is headed, the conversation wasn't very long.
    I take it you turned it down? I got the call a couple weeks ago but Iím still interested

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I take it you turned it down? I got the call a couple weeks ago but Iím still interested
    Yeah, I'm not giving my money to this ownership so I can go out and watch a mediocre product when it could have been competitive.

Season Ticket holders...

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Yeah, I'm not giving my money to this ownership so I can go out and watch a mediocre product when it could have been competitive.
    To each their own, I guess. Sucks that you waited 7 years and didnít even try.

But thatís your decision, so who am I to judge?

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Lots of people getting the call this year, to the point that I'm wondering if they're nearly going to exhaust the list from anyone that ever signed up before 2015.

It's crazy how this went from the most valuable ticket in town three years ago, dethroning the forever leader in the clubhouse Bears - down to (probably) close to not meet their full STH quota.

The cost has gotten insane, so if you're not going to pair that with a team *truly* contending for a WS every year, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Lots of people getting the call this year, to the point that I'm wondering if they're nearly going to exhaust the list from anyone that ever signed up before 2015.

It's crazy how this went from the most valuable ticket in town three years ago, dethroning the forever leader in the clubhouse Bears - down to (probably) close to not meet their full STH quota.

The cost has gotten insane, so if you're not going to pair that with a team *truly* contending for a WS every year, good luck.
    Not sure what happened, but my guess is there will still be a waiting list once they fill what they want to fill. Years ago I went from something like 20,000th to getting a call. You would have thought the list would have been reset then too. But it was not. People will buy season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post

Like you stated, the cost is insane. Plus, season tickets for baseball can be a chore. For the Bears, itís ten games, you can have everything figured out in a couple hours. Ten Cubs games gets you through April.
    Plus, the main selling point for years was ďbe there when it happensĒ isnít there anymore. It happened. If you didnít have tickets, you missed it.
    The ballpark looks and smells better than it ever has, but with those prices and a team that looks to have no direction, itís a bit of a tough sell. April and May have crappy weather. Then the prices are really insane during the summer months. I can understand those who pass when they get the call. Especially with the World Series in the rear view mirror, not on the horizon.