Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    235

    the NBA will never return to Seattle

    After failing to acquire the Sacramento Kings, Chris Hansen decided to try and sabotage the arena efforts ( negotiated by David Stern and co. themselves) by donating $100K to an anti arena group in Sacramento. Think the NBA will look to kindly on this guy trying to ruin their $500+mill public subsidies? RIP Seattle Supersonics.

    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...-than-himself/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    lol, please. you're jumping a huge way to get to that conclusion. the very story you linked to even says so:

    Ruin hopes in Seattle? Not even close. This doesn’t change the other facts: It is a great sports market with a proven level of support for the NBA and a corporate infrastructure few cities can match. If Hansen is not involved in whatever future bids may develop, there are plenty of other locals who are conversant in big business. And if Hansen is involved, perhaps enough owners shrug away the revelation as a simple misdemeanor of overreaching in the attempt to cover all the bases to close a deal potentially worth billions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    235
    fair enough, you are right. i should have said "hurts their chances significantly"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    9,786
    As a Kings fan, I still hope Seattle gets an expansion team - I just hope Hansen has nothing to do with it. Congratulating Sacramento and then secretly funding efforts to sabotage them? Yeah. He's scum as far as I'm concerned.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    20,335
    Quote Originally Posted by pupsingh View Post
    fair enough, you are right. i should have said "hurts their chances significantly"
    Since when does not even close = significantly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    22,070
    In the words of a famous, amazing Canadian, "never say never".

    S E A N....M A Y N E

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    My Happy Place
    Posts
    12,134
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_ory_2005 View Post
    In the words of a famous Canadian woman, "never say never".
    fixed. I mean, that canadian is a chick right?

    I can almost guarantee that the Sonics will return. Just not this year. I was actually hoping that the Sonics would take the Kings team. California already has way man than enough teams in that state and the Kings are the least successful, least fan supported and talentless compared to the rest of the teams in California. As well as having the lesser history (although you could argue the Clippers in that one). To me, it also seemed the most logical choice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    fixed. I mean, that canadian is a chick right?

    I can almost guarantee that the Sonics will return. Just not this year. I was actually hoping that the Sonics would take the Kings team. California already has way man than enough teams in that state and the Kings are the least successful, least fan supported and talentless compared to the rest of the teams in California. As well as having the lesser history (although you could argue the Clippers in that one). To me, it also seemed the most logical choice.
    luckily the NBA realized Sacramento gave the Kings historically great support and recognized that the city could support an NBA team and had a great plan to do so

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,275
    Vancouver is more deserving of a team than Seattle (look at attendances compared to w/l records and you'll find Vancouver fans were way more loyal than Seattle fans).
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 08-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    My Happy Place
    Posts
    12,134
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post
    Vancouver is more deserving of a team than Seattle (look at attendances compared to w/l records and you'll find Vancouver fans were way more loyal than Seattle fans).
    I would love for Vancouver to come back. To this day, I still don't understand why they moved to Memphis.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    I would love for Vancouver to come back. To this day, I still don't understand why they moved to Memphis.
    They were run like **** it wasn't fair, they had 6 seasons without a win % above 28% and the NBA moved them to Memphis which ended up having worse attendances than Vancouver. The Canadian dollar is close what the US is now (unlike back then) so the NBA should give them their team back.
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 08-18-2013 at 12:54 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    My Happy Place
    Posts
    12,134
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post
    They were run like **** it wasn't fair, they had 6 seasons without a win % above 28% and the NBA moved them to Memphis which ended up had worse attendances than Vancouver. The Canadian dollar is close what the US is now (unlike back then) so the NBA should give them their team back.
    Isn't the Canadian dollar already worth as much as the US dollar? Correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm planning to move to Canada soon so this would actually be good to know )

    I mostly want Vancouver back because of the cool jerseys and the name actually made sense.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    Isn't the Canadian dollar already worth as much as the US dollar? Correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm planning to move to Canada soon so this would actually be good to know )

    I mostly want Vancouver back because of the cool jerseys and the name actually made sense.
    It fluctuates it's been higher than the US recently but right now I think it's 3 cents below so you'd be able to buy thing over here for cheaper right now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    south
    Posts
    6,546
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Since when does not even close = significantly.
    Hey alexander,
    I agree; this was at best both sloppy initial reporting AND not-up-to-the-task-at-hand correcting / re-wording.
    Hey pupsingh, please do us a favor; and get the reporting at least fairly close to the facts; otherwise, you're (unintentionally or not) tricking us into wasting time coming here due to "sensationalizing" of a story.

    As to the actual possibilities of Seattle (and Vancouver); I have the gut level reaction that, no matter how rich, a team-owner does NOT have the right to pull a team out of city - if he/she/they don't want to stay; then they should be forced to sell to someone who does. Otherwise, as has happened, it's the fans that get the royal screw-job.

    If I was a Seattlite or Vancourerer I imagine I'd be nothing less than enraged over this crap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •