Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,497
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    People see 3rd liner and freak out but if you think about how much value Clutterbuck can bring to a team. Maybe 15-20 goals, great PKing, and 300 +/- hits, pretty much no players in the NHL like him. Matt Cooke is pretty similar, but Ill take Clutterbuck out of those 2 any day
    Oh come on. I never said that Cal Clutterbuck is a bad player. Seriously, a week before, you were calling Nino a top ten prospect. You do not trade top 10 prospects for players like Clutterbuck .Cal had 10 points in 42 games last season. That's fourth line points, dude. He'll be 26 when the season rolls around as well. I think there was better players available for Nino, but that's just me.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bradenton, FL (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    People see 3rd liner and freak out but if you think about how much value Clutterbuck can bring to a team. Maybe 15-20 goals, great PKing, and 300 +/- hits, pretty much no players in the NHL like him. Matt Cooke is pretty similar, but Ill take Clutterbuck out of those 2 any day
    Clutterbuck is way more disciplined and is not a cheap shot artist. You are right. Now that we mention it, you know who Clutterbuck reminds me of? Our Redwings friend here would know, Dan Cleary. Maybe it's a bit of a reach because Cleary has 40 point + potential but either way Clutterbuck is a great Pker and with the right line mates can score goals and contribute offensively.

    As for Strome, why would you hate him moving to the right wing with JT? It's already been discussed.

    http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...-wing-possible

    You could put PMB as the 2nd line center, he played the center position with the Wild. Either way kmo I respect your opinion, but don't forget our center position has some nice depth with Nelson, Lee, and even Sundstrome. But you are correct in the fact that Strome would be a great number 2 center because the only guy that has that kind of ceiling on the names I've mentioned is probably only Nelson, and to me he is also more of a borderline 2nd/3rd line type.

    I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing Strome on the 1st line with Tavares. They already have good chemistry because they are friends and they work out in the offseason together. He would bring another right handed shot and he is 10x the player Boyes is.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,497
    I don't think Dan Cleary and Cal Clutterbuck are the same at all..

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bradenton, FL (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I don't think Dan Cleary and Cal Clutterbuck are the same at all..
    Both are excellent defensively, they can kill penalties, and pack an excellent two way game. Cleary is better offensively by a long shot, but Clutterbuck can use the body and make other teams pay. Not similar at all two way wise?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,497
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Both are excellent defensively, they can kill penalties, and pack an excellent two way game. Cleary is better offensively by a long shot, but Clutterbuck can use the body and make other teams pay. Not similar at all two way wise?
    I am going to link pidg to this page, as he's a Red Wings fan and Wild fan, and watches the majority of the games. One of the better posters.

    However, I'll give my view.

    Cal Clutterbuck's game is built on being big, fast, and explosive. By explosive, I mean going fast into corners, throwing his big body around, and constantly going 100 miles per hour. He's got a very limited offensive upside. Has he got above 30 points? I'll have to double check that. He might have got into the low 40s. He's more of a fourth liner capable of playing on the third line. I mean, he's 25, in his 5th NHL season, and just came off a 10 point year averaging 14 minutes a night. I checked, career high was 34 points. He's very good defensively, and logs huge minutes on the PK.

    Dan Cleary now. I guess I'll go over him now, and a few years ago during his peak. During his peak, he was putting up .67 or so PPGs which is good for about 50 points. His style of play causes injuries as he's older like expected. He got started as an NHL regular a lot later in his career. His speed was never anything really special. His game is built on his IQ. He never quite had the shot that Clutterbuck has, but was capable of playing on any line. During Cleary's peak, he was a second liner. He'd go into the corners, and crash the net. Much better offensively than Clutterbuck despite a career high of about 47 points. Dan Cleary is more of an average PK'er now, and was solid back in the day. Never as good as Clutterbuck. Much more of a leader though. He's honestly captain material.

    I'd honestly call Clutterbuck a Darren Helm-ish player, but not as good.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bradenton, FL (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I am going to link pidg to this page, as he's a Red Wings fan and Wild fan, and watches the majority of the games. One of the better posters.

    However, I'll give my view.

    Cal Clutterbuck's game is built on being big, fast, and explosive. By explosive, I mean going fast into corners, throwing his big body around, and constantly going 100 miles per hour. He's got a very limited offensive upside. Has he got above 30 points? I'll have to double check that. He might have got into the low 40s. He's more of a fourth liner capable of playing on the third line. I mean, he's 25, in his 5th NHL season, and just came off a 10 point year averaging 14 minutes a night. I checked, career high was 34 points. He's very good defensively, and logs huge minutes on the PK.

    Dan Cleary now. I guess I'll go over him now, and a few years ago during his peak. During his peak, he was putting up .67 or so PPGs which is good for about 50 points. His style of play causes injuries as he's older like expected. He got started as an NHL regular a lot later in his career. His speed was never anything really special. His game is built on his IQ. He never quite had the shot that Clutterbuck has, but was capable of playing on any line. During Cleary's peak, he was a second liner. He'd go into the corners, and crash the net. Much better offensively than Clutterbuck despite a career high of about 47 points. Dan Cleary is more of an average PK'er now, and was solid back in the day. Never as good as Clutterbuck. Much more of a leader though. He's honestly captain material.

    I'd honestly call Clutterbuck a Darren Helm-ish player, but not as good.
    All I'm saying Bran is that they are both 2 way players that are more gifted on opposite ends but still hold a great two way game. Cal's career high was 34 points in 2010/11. In no way is he more gifted offensively then Cleary who was a pretty constant 40 point player in his career. I'm just comparing there two way ability, nothing more.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,497
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    All I'm saying Bran is that they are both 2 way players that are more gifted on opposite ends but still hold a great two way game. Cal's career high was 34 points in 2010/11. In no way is he more gifted offensively then Cleary who was a pretty constant 40 point player in his career. I'm just comparing there two way ability, nothing more.
    But my point is, you can do that for every single two-way player. I went more in depth with the comparison. One is a fourth to third liner, while the other, third to second liner. Clutterbuck's a great player, don't get me wrong, but I do think that was a bad trade, and that there are better comparisons. Watch Cal this season, and watch Darren Helm of Detroit. Both of their games are built on speed, throwing the body, and when they score, it's from hard work. They don't have much "offensive" skill, but willingness.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bradenton, FL (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    But my point is, you can do that for every single two-way player. I went more in depth with the comparison. One is a fourth to third liner, while the other, third to second liner. Clutterbuck's a great player, don't get me wrong, but I do think that was a bad trade, and that there are better comparisons. Watch Cal this season, and watch Darren Helm of Detroit. Both of their games are built on speed, throwing the body, and when they score, it's from hard work. They don't have much "offensive" skill, but willingness.
    I agree with all your points except one. Clutterbuck is a proven 3rd line player, not a borderline 3rd/4th. I'm curious to know who his line mates were in the Wild, because the Islanders could possibly provide him with better linemates that will most certainly up his offensive production.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,497
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    I agree with all your points except one. Clutterbuck is a proven 3rd line player, not a borderline 3rd/4th. I'm curious to know who his line mates were in the Wild, because the Islanders could possibly provide him with better linemates that will most certainly up his offensive production.
    Clutterbuck was like 11th in average ice time up front for the Minnesota Wild, and I believed played on the fourth line. He would have finished a full season with under 20 points. You can't justify him at this point at least, being a sure thing third liner. I would call him a third liner though, who plays on the fourth line as well. Let's just sum this up, and say he's a bottom six forward. Nothing more.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,380
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I don't think Dan Cleary and Cal Clutterbuck are the same at all..
    Agreed. Not close enough to compare. Different skill sets.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    23,722
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Oh come on. I never said that Cal Clutterbuck is a bad player. Seriously, a week before, you were calling Nino a top ten prospect. You do not trade top 10 prospects for players like Clutterbuck .Cal had 10 points in 42 games last season. That's fourth line points, dude. He'll be 26 when the season rolls around as well. I think there was better players available for Nino, but that's just me.
    If there were better players available for Nino, Nino would nto be on the Wild, and Clutterbuck would not be on the Islanders. That's the best package they could get.

    Also, didn't really call nino a top 10 prospect ever. I called Strome a top 10 prospect, I called Nino a top prospect, which he is, and temas have to take risks and trade top prospects for players who can help their team right now.Nino was never gonna be an Islander after what h
    as happened the last 2 years so we got the best deal we could get for him, and it happened to bring in a player who can help us a whole lot


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

    New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    23,722
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Clutterbuck is way more disciplined and is not a cheap shot artist. You are right. Now that we mention it, you know who Clutterbuck reminds me of? Our Redwings friend here would know, Dan Cleary. Maybe it's a bit of a reach because Cleary has 40 point + potential but either way Clutterbuck is a great Pker and with the right line mates can score goals and contribute offensively.

    As for Strome, why would you hate him moving to the right wing with JT? It's already been discussed.

    http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...-wing-possible

    You could put PMB as the 2nd line center, he played the center position with the Wild. Either way kmo I respect your opinion, but don't forget our center position has some nice depth with Nelson, Lee, and even Sundstrome. But you are correct in the fact that Strome would be a great number 2 center because the only guy that has that kind of ceiling on the names I've mentioned is probably only Nelson, and to me he is also more of a borderline 2nd/3rd line type.

    I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing Strome on the 1st line with Tavares. They already have good chemistry because they are friends and they work out in the offseason together. He would bring another right handed shot and he is 10x the player Boyes is.

    Strome is a C, maybe the most creative prospect in the NHL right now, he's a center, and Cup teams don't win with 1 amazing C and a guy like Nielsen as their #2, it just doesnt happen. I love Nelson and Lee and Sundstrom but NONE of them will be good 2nd line C's/ Theyll be great 3rd line C's or goo complementary middle 6 wingers.

    I know it's been discussed but Ill be furious if it happens.

    Especially because PMB is not a C. He hardly ever plays C and is awful at faceoffs. Not the guy you want at 2nd line C. He COULD play C but that doesnt mean he can play C.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

    New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    23,722
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Both are excellent defensively, they can kill penalties, and pack an excellent two way game. Cleary is better offensively by a long shot, but Clutterbuck can use the body and make other teams pay. Not similar at all two way wise?
    You cant just say players are similar because theyre both good 2 way players and are wingers. Cleary is better offensively by a bit but different, Clutterbuck is a true crash the net type, has a ton fo speed, etc while Cleary is more skilled and has better intagibles I guess you'd say.. Clutterbuck is also gonna lead the league in hits almost every year (well top 3) while Cleary will give you 1 or 2 a game on most nights, and that's it. I disagree with bran that Clutter is a 4th liner who can play on the 3rd. You can't put so much weight opn this season> Before this season he had 19 and 15 goals in his last 2 seasons in 76 and 74 games. Anyone who can dot hat, regardless of how, in the 3rd line role, is way more than a 4th liner.

    Also, no knock on Cleary as a leader as he's damn good at his role but Clutterbuck is a hell of a leader. He's the on ice leader of the Wild, easily.
    Last edited by kmo429; 07-16-2013 at 03:17 PM.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

    New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,541
    Sorry that I am a little late to Brans dragging me in on this but yes they are very different players. The only similarity is that they are both capable in the offensive zone but better defensively. Clutters game is hitting and creating energy a typical 3/4th line player. He hits and hits and skates to go hit. His wrist shot (if implemented and used) is actually very good, but he never really uses it. and his line mates were Pierre MB - Kyle Broziak I think MN gave him better mates then you guys can (considering I think PMB with be a top 6 player with you guys). He is a crash and banger, a pest with a capable wrister. I do think he is a third liner though.

    I could just copy and past what Brans said about Cleary, because he is pretty much spot on.

    If the true question is who won the trade well sorry but the Wild won hands down. Nino is still a super good prospect and I think this is really going to come back and bite you guys in the butt.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bradenton, FL (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Sorry that I am a little late to Brans dragging me in on this but yes they are very different players. The only similarity is that they are both capable in the offensive zone but better defensively. Clutters game is hitting and creating energy a typical 3/4th line player. He hits and hits and skates to go hit. His wrist shot (if implemented and used) is actually very good, but he never really uses it. and his line mates were Pierre MB - Kyle Broziak I think MN gave him better mates then you guys can (considering I think PMB with be a top 6 player with you guys). He is a crash and banger, a pest with a capable wrister. I do think he is a third liner though.

    I could just copy and past what Brans said about Cleary, because he is pretty much spot on.

    If the true question is who won the trade well sorry but the Wild won hands down. Nino is still a super good prospect and I think this is really going to come back and bite you guys in the butt.
    Those were quality line mates. You may be spot on with Nino, he has the ability but he is just a dbag and not a team player. How I want to see the Islanders 3rd line -

    Josh Bailey - Nielsen/Strome - Clutterbuck

    It all depends on what happens and who can crack the team... If Strome makes the team, he better be the second line center or at least the right wing because Nielsen will be bumped down.

    Our dumb coach Capuano would most likely bump Bailey up and put Grabner on that 3rd line. Gonna do the math and add up the average number of points scored for that Minnesota Line and do one for the Isles, thank you for sharing info on Clutter and his linemates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •