Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Current religion: Atheism
    Former religions: Catholicism, Buddhism, Agnosticism

1. Location - Los Angeles
    2. Current religious affiliation? No religion. Never had one and never found one that made enough sense for me to accept it. Apatheist belief in god.
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any? None
    4. What sports teams do you follow? NY Giants, Mets, Red Wings, Islanders, Seahawks
    5. Anything else you care to share? nah

db75 Guest
    1. Location?: Chicago
    2. Current religious affiliation?: None
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any?: Roman Catholic
    4. What sports teams do you follow?: Chicago Bears, Chicago Cubs, Chicago Blackhawks
    5. Anything else you care to share?: I'm excited to see this forum make its return. Hopefully we can have some intelligent, rational, and interesting conversation about all things religion-oriented.

Ian. Guest
    1. Location: Seattle
    2. Current religious affiliation? Atheist
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any? Christian
    4. What sports teams do you follow? Mariners and Seahawks.
    5. Anything else you care to share?

Nope

1. Location - North New Jersey
    2. Current religious affiliation? - None
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any? - None (Mother was a Catholic, Father was a Jew. Both decided to not press religion on me and my sister)
    4. What sports teams do you follow? J/M/Nets
    5. Anything else you care to share? - Even though I don't consider myself a religion, I have been to Church a couple of times this year. My best friend is pretty religious and I asked to go along with him to explore a little bit. I don't know what I truly think about it though.

]1. Location chicago
    2. Current religious affiliation? Islam
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any?
    4. What sports teams do you follow?
    5. Anything else you care to share? This should be intersting...

So let's see, a bit of background, born and raised muslim, i went to catholic school in 2nd grade, growing up in the states in 80's n 90's (being the "outsider"), naturally that made me very tolerant of other peoples views. I dont consider myself religious although my spiritual ideology is unshakable. I believe islam to be the purest form of truth, however i believe every religion is filled with beauty, knowledge, wisdom, and truth. All worshippers of the creator are cut of one cloth, and what labels we apply to ourselves is secondary. I find atheism to be very interesting and mind stimulating and for a handful of years looked into it somewhat heavily. I think one of the strongest principles i try to apply to myself is the realization that human cannot judge the hearts of other humans, nor the battles of other humans, and so we should remain as humans and not try and elevate ourselves to judges.

I think this forum is a great idea
    Last edited by nastynice; 07-07-2013 at 09:32 PM.

1. Location: Central Illinois

2. Current religious affiliation: None

3. Former religious affiliation: Evangelical Christianity

4. What sports teams do you follow: Chicago everything

5. Anything else you care to share: I grew up in a very devout Christian environment, and loved it to be honest. Almost everyone I knew was Christian, my best friends were Christian (many of them are still my closest friends 20 years later), my school was Christian, etc.

I went to a Christian college but started to really confront all the doubts that had crept in over the years. The more I was really honest with myself, the more I realized that I just didn't believe anymore. It was pretty stressful at first, walking away from my lifelong faith. But I have absolutely loved just living in an honest way, free to explore the world for what it is.

I'm excited to see this forum is back now!

1. Location: Seattle
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any? Nothing really set it stone. Believed there was a God, but was never a true Christian. No church or anything.
    4. What sports teams do you follow? Mariners & Seahawks.
    5. Anything else you care to share?
    More of an explanation of 3. I believed in a God of some sort, likely most closely identifying with that of Christianity, but never practiced it. Never been to church, never accepted Jesus or anything. When my dad passed away, it made me think harder about the whole idea of Heaven and God, and I found that there really was no evidence, and I had no reason to have faith, so I became an atheist.

1. Location: Georgia
    3. Former religious affiliation, if any? Well, my mom is a hardcore Catholic, and my father is atheist, just doesn't tell my mom (and won't let me tell my family about my lack of religiousness). My family is not over religious, we only go to church Easter & Christmas, though.
    4. What sports teams do you follow? Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Eagles, Florida St. Seminoles, Orlando Magic & Tottenham Hotspur.
    5. Anything else you care to share? I try not to get heated on the topic of religion.

Current religion: Atheism/agnosticism (depends how you define those terms)
    Former religions: Lutheran
    1 Kings 11:3: “He (Solomon) had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray.” -- Biblical marriage. One man, seven hundred women.

I was born and raised Catholic. Whole family is pretty religious.

I don't believe in anything now. I'm ok with that.

A's Raiders Pistons Redwings Cubs and of course Notre Dame

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    In baltimore now, but I will always be a south side Chicago guy.

I too was born and raised catholic.

Now some might say agnostic. I believe that the question about the existence of god is and unknowable one. Meanwhile I actually believe in an occasionally interventionist god, but that organized religion (or organized atheism for that matter) often does more harm than good.

Cubs, Packers, Bulls, Blackhawks, Starting to love the orioles and ravens though.

This is a forum that will crash and burn. When it does that pop noise you hear will be the beer I'm opening to watch the embers.
    Last edited by flips333; 07-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

A religious forum where 80% of the people checking in are self proclaimed Non-Believers or Athiest. Yeah crash and burn is in the future.

I am very religious, very Christian, and live it everyday. I believe in traditional marriage between a man and a woman but I do respect the belief of others, but Right is right and wrong is wrong. Once you say that, people just want to attack you and your belief system.

If there truly was a religious forum where people just wanted to discuss religious belief's of others in a respectful way, I would even sign up to run it. But having a non believer moderate a religious forum makes about as much sense as having a Yankee's fan run the Red Sox forum. You simply cant do it.

Atheism is non belief. It is not a Religion. Websters dictionary describes religion this way...

The outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or of Gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience service and honor are due.

Atheism is defined as.....

Ungodliness, Wickedness, a disbelief in God. Doctrine that there is no deity.

So people calling their religion as Atheist should change it to "None" because Atheism is nothing more than believing in NO RELIGION.

I respect anyone who claims to not believe, that is a personal choice. But clearly not a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    A religious forum where 80% of the people checking in are self proclaimed Non-Believers or Athiest. Yeah crash and burn is in the future.

I am very religious, very Christian, and live it everyday. I believe in traditional marriage between a man and a woman but I do respect the belief of others, but Right is right and wrong is wrong. Once you say that, people just want to attack you and your belief system.

If there truly was a religious forum where people just wanted to discuss religious belief's of others in a respectful way, I would even sign up to run it. But having a non believer moderate a religious forum makes about as much sense as having a Yankee's fan run the Red Sox forum. You simply cant do it.

Atheism is non belief. It is not a Religion. Websters dictionary describes religion this way...

The outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or of Gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience service and honor are due.

Atheism is defined as.....

Ungodliness, Wickedness
    , a disbelief in God. Doctrine that there is no deity.

So people calling their religion as Atheist should change it to "None" because Atheism is nothing more than believing in NO RELIGION.

I respect anyone who claims to not believe, that is a personal choice. But clearly not a religion.
    All reasons why I dislike religion. All of the bolded are just incorrect, and unnecessary. Without going off on a tangent, this is an example where religion is not always a high moral standard. When people make assumptions about people who do not agree with their beliefs.

Also, what if others dont agree with what you and your God/belief system say is right or wrong?

I know this isnt the thread for this discussion, but this post and its backhanded remarks just kind of ticked me off

Everyone has a right here to talk about religion. Whether they are Atheist, Catholic, Muslim, or anything else. Let's try to be civil with one another and if someone says something stupid/ignorant please ignore it or report it. We'd like to keep this forum open as long as possible because religion is a fascinating subject from both perspectives.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast