Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Offseason

Seto to WPG for a second rounder.... Yuck

Also, signed Matt Cooke to a 3 year deal (2.5M per year).

Beat Me To It By a Second...I Don't Like It

Would have rather shipped Seto for them for Redmond/Postma. A second is nice I guess? Matt Cooke huh...I get it we needed someone to replace Clutterbuck but why him Fletcher why

And I think our summer next year is going to be extend Pomin and sign Vanek.

Not big on the Cooke signing either. We have bottom line grinders, we need a scorer and solid defense.

Well, We Needed Tough Guys..bBut Cooke?

I Have A Feeling That Is The End Of Our offseason

I would be more mad if I didn't think we were doing this to clear room for Vanek next year.

Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    I would be more mad if I didn't think we were doing this to clear room for Vanek next year.
    Signing A Player For 3 Years, And Getting Rid Of A Player Who Had One Year Left Doesn't Sound Like A Move For Next Year...

I Think The Moves We Have Made With Our Forwards Were More To Open Up Permanent Roles For Nino, Granlund, Zucker And Coyle. With Cullen And Seto Gone, Tha Is A Much Bigger Possibility...But Yes, I Do Think We Maker A Big Move Next Year With An Expected Cap Increase, And HeaTleys Contract Going Away

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    Signing A Player For 3 Years, And Getting Rid Of A Player Who Had One Year Left Doesn't Sound Like A Move For Next Year...
    Oh my bad, for some reason I was thinking Setoguchi had more than one year left.

Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    Oh my bad, for some reason I was thinking Setoguchi had more than one year left.
    I think the Seto deal is good to slightly better than good (Certianly not great).. IF you think about the Burns trade which brought him here. WE basically traded burns for Coyle and a first (Phillips) and wanted an offensive player also so we swapped a 2nd for Seto to make the deal happen.. Seto worked and filled a roll here and we then swapped him for another 2nd. I am pretty indifferent but it could have been worse.. Also we didn't have a 2nd next year due to the Pominville trade so That makes it a better deal in my eyes.

Cooke.. Man I just don't know.. I find it difficult to believe that we wouldnt' have been able to sign Clutter for 3 years 2.5 per.. BUT i'm ok with turning Clutter into NIno and spending the money on Cooke.. SO LONG AS HE ISN"T suspended a bunch.. He is the kind of guy I HATE on other teams, but will probably like on our team.. I'm 100% in favor if this is Clutterbuck for Nino and Cooke.. So I guess I like it in that respect.

I've said before on other chats that I like keeping Heater for next year. In the grand scheme of things he is only making 5mill with a 7.5 cap hit (To the organization this probably makes buying out Gilbert a wash) and Heater is servicable and a good locker room guy... Plus that gives us a good chunck of change to spend next year.. AND next year has a VERY solid crop of UFA coming onto the market.. (Unless they are signed during the season)

Right now the wild are pretty much done this year and historically have been a team to spend pretty close to the cap.. Assuiming they don't extend anyone right now we have just over 22 million in cap space for next year.. And if the cap goes up.. well so does our cap space

Nino gets extended but unless he produces a ton this year it is unlikely his cap hit will be much higher than it is..

I'd really like to think they are going to extend Pominville

Stoner is gone, Rupp, Knopka, Mitchell are gone Heater gets let go OR signed much lower if he likes it here (He'll probably sign a deal with a "Contender" *I"m not saying we won't be, but he may go to a team much closer than our young squad*) That gives us a good chunk of change to make a run a Vanek.. Other notable UFA, THe sedins, Gaborik, Marelau, Thornton, Kessel, Lundkvist,Callahan, Brown.. etc.. A MUCH DEEPER UFA Class than this year with MONEY TO BURN!!! I LIKE IT!!!!!

Also, we will have about 11 million cap space the year after that to resign any of teh young guys who are due extensions at that time. .. I.E. coyle, grandlund, Brodin. (Zucker and Nino due extensions next year not 2014)

I guess I just hope that we have a team good enough to make the playoffs in a VERY tuff midwest conference and hopefully make some noise or make a seriese of it..

I still reallly like where this team is and how it is set up for the future. A couple good/solid drafts and we are still in a great spot.. SO long as the fans and leo don't get antzie and call for yeo and fletcher's heads..

Considering we didn't have a first round pick or very much if any cap space i think this is a very servicable offseason and am excited to see how things come together next year with the combination of youth and vets this club has...

My thought process is that Seto can bring both goal scoring and a decent amount of hits for only 500k more per year than Cooke who is basically just someone who can only take cheap shots.

Edit: thought I was in a different thread when I posted... My bad
    Last edited by natelpete; 07-07-2013 at 12:05 AM.

This is how I have decided to look at the Cooke thing. Take away his name and if you tell me we were going to add a solid veteran third liner who can put up 15ish g, hits like a truck and is an agitator that can kill PK's and still has gas left in the tank I would be pretty darn happy because we needed that for our third line. He has done a pretty good job at cleaning up his act recently (I still dont think the Karlsson thing was on purpose). So take away the initial sting of the signing and im happy with it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast