Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 108 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksd911
    The problem with the past couple years when we had joe was we could never develop our young players we drafted, I see some teams that seems like they pick in the 20's and year after year they turn out to be solid players. Feels like we just trade our young players or never developed them
    That was my biggest indictment of Woodson and Drew, both coaches would bury guys on the bench then whine about lack of depth later on. It's the first thing I'll be watching for with Budenholzer. The thing the Spurs did/do more than other teams is put any of their players on the floor in any situation, especially the inexperienced guys. Pop actually teaches his young guys, then throws them into the fire and expects results. We don't know if Bud will be better than our last two coaches but that kind of thing goes a long way to earning respect from your team.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 07-28-2013 at 02:23 PM.

I think the problem was Woodson/drew never had job security. Throwing young players out there requires the front office trust in case they don't step up. But we'll see how everything plays out. I'm excited

Quote Originally Posted by hawksd911 View Post
    I think the problem was Woodson/drew never had job security. Throwing young players out there requires the front office trust in case they don't step up. But we'll see how everything plays out. I'm excited
    Drew had no job security, so I partially agree with your statement. I don't think that was the case with Woodson, BK even tried to fire him, so I think his job was secure for a while at least. Woodson threw Both Josh's, Al, and Marv out there early in their careers. The problem with Woodson is if he didn't like you as a player or your attitude you where not playing ask A.C. Law. and Salim.
    Last edited by SB75; 07-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Woodson didn't even know Teague, but he told him straight up," i don't play rookies, you won't play much if any". Teague took it cool. But it just shows you, how a different coach can go a long ways in your development.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    So you don't think Devin's defense and leadership will be missed? Nor Ivan's hustle? Nor Zaza's toughness? My friend we lost a lot more than just Josh Smith.
    Zaza barely played last year, Ivan did hustle, and Whose to say Schroeder or Lou won't bs better than Devin. The players we bright in to replace them aren't JV players you know. Demarre Carroll is essentially Ivan with a better 3 point shot, just not as mean, still the same grit and hustle though. Millsap actually uses his talent instead of jacking threes all game. I think we're in good shape. Would like a 2 or 3 though.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

Quote Originally Posted by hawksd911
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75
    Drew had no job security, so I partially agree with your statement. I don't think that was the case with Woodson, BK even tried to fire him, so I think his job was secure for a while at least. Woodson threw Both Josh's, Al, and Marv out there early in their careers. The problem with Woodson is if he didn't like you as a player or your attitude you where not playing ask A.C. Law. and Salim.
    Quote Originally Posted by westside
    Woodson didn't even know Teague, but he told him straight up," i don't play rookies, you won't play much if any". Teague took it cool. But it just shows you, how a different coach can go a long ways in your development.
    westside and SB75 pointed out what I was going to say, hawksd911. Woodson sealed his own fate in many ways, and once you were in his doghouse, you were basically there to stay, Drew was kinda the same way (how often did we complain in here about guys like Ivan not getting enough PT?). Teague is a prime example. Think about it: Mike Bibby could barely even run up and down the floor his final two years in Atlanta, he was basically nothing but a spot up shooter, yet Woodson-then-Drew kept playing him nearly 30 mins per game until he was dealt for Kirk. Meanwhile Teague -- a 1st round pick -- was only getting crumbs. Made no sense, especially since the league was moving towards all these athletic PGs running pick and rolls. I'm not dismissing the rough environment (ASG) our former coaches had to work with, but they didn't do themselves any favors either.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 07-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Hawks claim PF/C Gustavo Ayon off waivers.

Ayon will earn $1.5 million this season, a reasonable salary for a competent backup big man. His per-minute rebounds, steals and blocks suggest nice fantasy upside, but he's unlikely to have value fighting for backup minutes behind Paul Millsap, Al Horford and Elton Brand.
    rotoworld

So basically the decision to overpay for our former backup center (Zaza) forced the Bucks to release their backup center who does many of the same things, is younger, at one-third of the cost... and that's who we just claimed. OK.

Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    So you don't think Devin's defense and leadership will be missed? Nor Ivan's hustle? Nor Zaza's toughness? My friend we lost a lot more than just Josh Smith.
    No I dont think Devin, Ivan or Zaza will be missed! actually I think we will be better. We finally get to move Horford to his natural position, Milsap and Brand are upgrades. Devin came of the bench Lou williams fills that spot. My Opinion but only time will tell

Agreed

Lucas Nogueira 'Most Likely' To Play In Spain Next Season
    Jul 29, 2013 3:33 PM EDT

Lucas Nogueira showed promise while playing for the Atlanta Hawks' summer league team, but the first round pick will "most likely" return to play in Spain next season.

The Hawks claimed Gustavo Ayon off waivers.

The Hawks had been debating whether it was better for Nogueira’s development to play major minutes overseas or play limited minutes while on a weight-training program in Atlanta.

Via Chris Vivlamore/The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Lucas Nogueira, Atlanta Hawks, NBA, NBA Misc Rumor
    Can't say I agree with this move, if he is stashed overseas this year. But hey, I'm not the one getting paid to make basketball decisions for the Hawks..
    "..complex mane dat love simple thangs."*S.L.uggeR*

Quote Originally Posted by SluggeR View Post
    Can't say I agree with this move, if he is stashed overseas this year. But hey, I'm not the one getting paid to make basketball decisions for the Hawks..
    He wouldn't get much PT here if he stayed.

I would want him over here working with my coaches and strength & conditioning guys. Practicing against the best players in the world day-in & day-out and getting burn in the d-league would be the way I would want to develop him..

Christian Watford Signs With Hapoel Eilat
    Jul 30, 2013 12:21 PM EDT

Christian Watford has signed with Hapoel Eilat of Israel.

Watford played collegiately at Indiana and went undrafted in June.

Watford can play both forward positions.

Via ****** Staff Report
    This what kills me about NBA scouts. You have teams wasting picks on overseas guys, that will never play in the league; yet a kid like this can't get a shot fresh out of college..

Nog's situation wasn't going to be an obvious decision either way. Plenty of potential and plays with a lot of energy, but still raw and thin. Likely a year or two away from being a difference maker. Schroder, OTOH, is an easy call.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 07-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.

The Atlanta Hawks, Milwaukee Bucks, Charlotte Bobcats and Denver Nuggets have expressed interest in Devin Ebanks, according to sources.
    Alex Kennedy / Hoopsworld

Page 58 of 108 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast