Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black* View Post
    Either way, there are 5 or so guys that I feel comfortable rebuilding (tanking) for in this draft. If we don't get Howard, I would rather get a Parker, Young, or Randle instead of Ellis, Jennings, etc.

If we stay the same ol' Hawks, would people really want to see the wins followed by blow outs on national TV? Or the 2nd round eliminations? Boom or bust. If you're not first you're last. Well if we don't get the boom (Howard/championship) we should try for the potential boom, not the safe middle.
    I agree. If you are not signing these guys in conjunction with Howard, I'll pass.

But some seem to want to tank with Horford, and I'm not sure Al is going to be happy with that. While I understand fans saying you have to have someone to play with whichever guy we could land, you also have to understand that I don't think AL is going to lay down and be okay with playing on a 50 plus loss team.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    I agree. If you are not signing these guys in conjunction with Howard, I'll pass.

But some seem to want to tank with Horford, and I'm not sure Al is going to be happy with that. While I understand fans saying you have to have someone to play with whichever guy we could land, you also have to understand that I don't think AL is going to lay down and be okay with playing on a 50 plus loss team.
    too bad? I mean he is getting paid 12 million to play a game. and it seems like Al is one of the smart ones, so perhaps he understands what it takes to compete in today's nba. Or like Silver and Slugger have been saying, we can get him some nice role players so that he can continue play on a mediocre team that gets eliminated in the first round.

But some seem to want to tank with Horford
    I could trade Horford for the future as well (just because he isn't 19 or 20 anymore). I like him and feel he is a winner, but if it means for the future getting 2 potential stars in next year's draft I would do it. You could tank with him on the team (literally every other position would need to be projects) and you would have to sit him alot (which would obviously show a tank though). He is in his prime and I doubt he would agree to that. I would trade him for another potential top pick in 2014 or a player like Cousins/Drummond.

Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    too bad? I mean he is getting paid 12 million to play a game. and it seems like Al is one of the smart ones, so perhaps he understands what it takes to compete in today's nba. Or like Silver and Slugger have been saying, we can get him some nice role players so that he can continue play on a mediocre team that gets eliminated in the first round.
    If we keep Horford and no Dwight, I want to tank, no playoffs. In it for Wiggins/Parker. Horford would have to sit out some games and barely play or the rest of the team be filled with projects.

My tank team (this could get us the worst record to be safely in the top 3 or 4 in next year's draft):

Dennis Schroeder
    John Jenkins
    a vet FA on a 1 year deal
    Al Horford
    Mike Muscala

Try to sign and trade Smith for a 2014 pick.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 07-02-2013 at 08:42 PM.

If we keep Horford and no Dwight, I want to tank, no playoffs. In it for Wiggins/Parker. Horford would have to sit out some games and barely play or the rest of the team be filled with projects.

My tank team:

Dennis Schroeder
    John Jenkins
    a vet FA on a 1 year deal
    Al Horford
    Mike Muscala

Try to sign and trade Smith for a 2014 pick.
    I'm on board with this. To compete in this league today, you got to be patient and you need a clear
    vision. I'm just baffled by some of the comments on here. It's like these guys aren't watching the same NBA that we're watching.

I do agree though that Horford should be smart enough and Ferry would be laying out his plan to him what the tank would do for the team, and could get a Franchise player in here to play alongside him. If we can't get Howard, it's our only hope for that and someone like Horford should know. If he doesn't want that, then you could trade him.

I'm on board with this. To compete in this league today, you got to be patient and you need a clear
    vision. I'm just baffled by some of the comments on here. It's like these guys aren't watching the same NBA that we're watching.
    Exactly. The Hawks are sadly not the Lakers, etc. Stars don't come, you have to draft them. Howard is a hopeful due to the home-connection, but after that, drafting a star is what it takes for a team like the Hawks.

Signing 2nd and 3rd tier guys to stay in the 7th-8th seed gets you nowhere. Hawks fans should know that by now.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 07-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.

I like some of those ideas but we are still banking on getting the right kid out of the draft, and who's to say the kid is a star. I just know what I see, and I'm a sports guru so I'm up on college and pros. I see all these kids get the hype and never really become that star

Exactly. The Hawks are sadly not the Lakers, etc. Stars don't come, you have to draft them. Howard is a hopeful due to the home-connection, but after that, drafting a star is what it takes for a team like the Hawks.

Signing 2nd and 3rd tier guys to stay in the 7th-8th seed gets you nowhere. Hawks fans should know that by now.
    yep yep. and the more I think about, the more I just want to say **** howard. All of this "recruiting" just seems real... slimey... to me. I'd get more satisfaction by winning with the spurs approach.

Quote Originally Posted by afrazier9 View Post
    I like some of those ideas but we are still banking on getting the right kid out of the draft, and who's to say the kid is a star. I just know what I see, and I'm a sports guru so I'm up on college and pros. I see all these kids get the hype and never really become that star
    Who says the FAs we sign will improve the team? Everything is a gamble. Anybody remember Larry Hughes was supposed to be Lebron's 2nd guy to winning a title? Ferry had to make that gamble for a free agent. So it goes both ways. Give me the chance of Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Young/Smart not turning into stars over Ellis, Jennings, Jefferson.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 07-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.

yep yep. and the more I think about, the more I just want to say **** howard. All of this "recruiting" just seems real... slimey... to me. I'd get more satisfaction by winning with the spurs approach.
    Me too. Sometimes I get caught up in the Howard stuff due to all of us wanting a star. But I am more excited to see Ferry and Bud turn this entire Franchise around through the draft.

I agree that putting role players around Al is not the way I want to go. I have said many times I don't believe you can be a contender with Al as your best player. But you also have to understand that the man is heading into his prime, and may not want to be part of a rebuilding process. If he truly is a smart guy he understands some teams have been rebuilding for a decade and it doesn't always work out the way the GM has planned. He'd be risking the prime of his career. I'm for tanking if we can't get Howard, but I'm for completely tanking and trading Al to.

I don't want it to get to the point where he comes out and publicly ask for A trade. IDK if he will or won't just looking at this thing from all sides. If we do tank, let's truly TANK so we are guaranteed one of the top 3 picks. We could get some nice young pieces and unprotected picks for Al from teams that are tired of trying to re-build through the draft. Char comes to mind.

I really don't know why one would have to explain why Ferry would rebuild on a forum these past couple pages instead of signing the Ellis types of FAs. It's simple, Ferry wouldn't trade Joe Johnson away just to sign Monta Ellis. He traded Joe away believing Joe isn't worth that much to this team and that we should get a star in here. Is Ellis a star? I fully believe we will tank if we don't get Howard (if Horford is traded, that is Ferry's decision, and I'm cool with it either way), and any more knowledge of this comes from the fact we are letting everyone from Korver and Smith to Zaza and Ivan go seek out other teams. The old Hawks are no more, if we get Howard or not. It's Ferry Time!

If we do tank, let's truly TANK so we are guaranteed one of the top 3 picks.
    Which means any 1 of Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Smart/Young could be ours to take. That is better than any free agent not named Howard out there. Plus if we can get a lottery draft pick for Horford and another in a hopeful sign and trade for Smith, 3 picks next year could quickly set us up nicely.

Kings/Nuggets looking at Iggy. New Orleans offered a contract to Evans. Jefferson talking to Bobcats.

Really the only 3 FAs (besides Dwight) standing in the way of a complete rebuild are Josh Smith, Monta Ellis, and Brandon Jennings. I haven't heard nothing about them. Though when Howard decides, Mavs or Rockets are going to need Josh Smith (or Mavs Jennings/Ellis).

Page 27 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast