Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 16 of 108 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 1611
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Bynum will have to get past a thorough evaluation for most (competent) teams to get an offer. Millsap is good value but OTOH he would make our frontline shorter than last season, which has been our downfall vs certain teams. Last night's draft seems to suggest Ferry wants bigger bodies in the frontcourt. My top C options based on how their deals might look are Howard, Bynum (if physical/mental checks out), and Splitter (Spurs likely match his offer).
    Splitter? I've seen enough of him to know he won't make us any better.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Well the DH12 deal isn't officially dead as Rondo is apparently on the market. But as we discussed before the draft, Howard would have to commit to me before I made that deal.
    We probably won't even See Rondo play this year.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,038
    We've really only scratched the surfaced on how good Teague can be. Woodson never wanted him to play. Joe Johnson and Josh were there his first starting season, so that hindered his development. Thus is the first season where this was really his offense to run. We saw the potentiall with all the 20+ points and 8+ Assist games he had. He could be better at finishing at the rim, mid range shot, and pick and roll situations. He could get better in all those areas to add to his game. Schroeder needs much development to be a full time , effective starter. Can he play now? Sure. But why waste his development when he could be overseas. Resign Teague for 3 or 4 years and be done.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by westside
    Splitter? I've seen enough of him to know he won't make us any better.
    Serviceable on offense but one of the better defensive centers in the league, specifically post defense, which has been a weak spot for the Hawks despite having such an athletic frontcourt duo (Al and Josh are great help defenders, but not great post defenders).

    I'm not talking about paying Splitter top dollar, not by a long shot. Still, his improvement is a huge reason why the Spurs were finally able to return to the Finals -- they built one of the toughest defensive frontcourts in the league. Suggesting he won't help a team like the Hawks is another way of saying Popovich was wrong for putting him in SAS' lineup all season; I think I'll defer to the Hall of Fame coach and the stats back it up. Many fans are fixated on just signing sexy names or just guys they have heard of, but I am all about contract value and addressing our weaknesses.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    IMO, the model for Teague is Mike Conley. They have similar body types, had similar concerns about their dedication and skillset through age 24, they even come from the same hometown (Indianapolis). When Memphis signed Conley to his 5-year-$40M extension, people laughed. Then Conley broke out this year, becoming their 2nd most valuable player after Marc, and now it looks like one of the best value contracts in the league. If Bud can transform Teague the way Hollins/Joerger did with Conley, at around that price, it could be worth it.

    Teams that struggle to attract free agents are usually better off making defense their foundation, because it's less expensive to build a great defensive team than a star studded team (LINK). 3 of the 4 teams in this year's conference Finals ranked 1st 2nd and 3rd in that category (LINK) and all three are considered "small/mid" markets by NBA fan standards. As long as you have a coach who can teach the great defense and at least the fundamentals of an efficient offense, you can succeed. That's what people don't seem to understand about the Detroit model: you don't have to overpay for offense, only do that for transcendent players. Otherwise, the focus should be on great defenders at below-market value and great drafting/scouting.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 06-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    IMO, the model for Teague is Mike Conley. They have similar body types, had similar concerns about their dedication and skillset through age 24, they even come from the same hometown (Indianapolis). When Memphis signed Conley to his 5-year-$40M extension, people laughed. Then Conley broke out this year, becoming their 2nd most valuable player after Marc, and now it looks like one of the best value contracts in the league. If Bud can transform Teague the way Hollins/Joerger did with Conley, at around that price, it could be worth it.

    Teams that struggle to attract free agents are usually better off making defense their foundation, because it's less expensive to build a great defensive team than a star studded team (LINK). 3 of the 4 teams in this year's conference Finals ranked 1st 2nd and 3rd in that category (LINK) and all three are considered "small/mid" markets by NBA fan standards. As long as you have a coach who can teach the great defense and at least the fundamentals of an efficient offense, you can succeed. That's what people don't seem to understand about the Detroit model: you don't have to overpay for offense, only do that for transcendent players. Otherwise, the focus should be on great defenders at below-market value and great drafting/scouting.
    I agree!
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    I'd probably rank Teague in the 12-14 range among all PGs in the league today, with room for growth on both ends of the floor, but it would still have to be at the right price. If Ferry doesn't give him a qualifying offer, it's because they have concerns about his worth ethic and upside that we don't know about.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    Couple free agency tidbits-Teams I'm hearing in the mix for Andre Iguodala: Denver, Hawks, Pistons, Kings, Mavs, Pelicans, Warriors, Rockets
    Sam Amick / USA Today

    Hopefully they view him as a SF, he'll age better there instead of guarding all these smaller quicker shooting guards.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Anything on Josh Smith S&T? I was hoping for a 1st rounder in next year's draft...
    i hope he signs in boston and we can get a 1st next year along with a big trade exception. could possibly have two top 5 picks next year if we tank.

    The start of something great to come in Carolina, bring on the haters!

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    http://twitter.com/ajchawks/status/351391756803248128
    The Hawks have extended a qualfying offer to Jeff Teague. #ATLHawks
    And now Step #1 is out of the way.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I wonder what the plan is now to talk Howard into coming? Obviously we were waiting for Paul (to make a decision on Teague) and including him in the plans to Howard. Wonder if they are scrambling to come up with an alternative idea to lay out to him.

    Either way, I hope this team don't look like the same team of years' past. Dwight Howard or bust (in my view, bust actually being a good thing. With a great structure in place at GM/Coach, I will feel excited if we enter the draft lottery to rebuild).

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,397
    Convincing Dwight to come to ATL is going to be hard considering before this takes place, a team with James Harden is pushing an idea. We don't have a James Harden and a James Harden isn't coming through free agency.

    I'm assuming we are either going to rebuild/tank or overpay Jefferson/Iggy/etc to come here and be a 6th/7th/8th seed.

    Another option is Ferry could try to get a star player through a trade, but we have nothing to trade. After this Howard thing is over, and most likely he ends up in Houston or back in LA, I hope the Hawks decide to rebuild with a long term vision, and find a star through the draft. Next year's draft is full of potential stars and we don't even have to land Wiggins, just being in the lottery gives us a chance to get a franchise player that is almost a decade younger and cheaper than any Iggy-type FA.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 06-30-2013 at 02:02 PM.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/bynum-draw...-several-teams
    The Cavaliers, Blazers, Hawks, Mavericks and Rockets are interested in free agent Andrew Bynum
    Told yall, lol. Everything is on the table, and that's 3 other smart front offices (DAL, HOU, POR) doing the same, so... yeah.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black*
    Convincing Dwight to come to ATL is going to be hard considering before this takes place, a team with James Harden is pushing an idea. We don't have a James Harden and a James Harden isn't coming through free agency.

    I'm assuming we are either going to rebuild/tank or overpay Jefferson/Iggy/etc to come here and be a 6th/7th/8th seed.

    Another option is Ferry could try to get a star player through a trade, but we have nothing to trade. After this Howard thing is over, and most likely he ends up in Houston or back in LA, I hope the Hawks decide to rebuild with a long term vision, and find a star through the draft. Next year's draft is full of potential stars and we don't even have to land Wiggins, just being in the lottery gives us a chance to get a franchise player that is almost a decade younger and cheaper than any Iggy-type FA.
    You are taking a pessimistic view of the entire situation before free agency even begins. Everything we have seen shows they (Ferry and Co.) are simply keeping their options open. Most importantly, there is no guarantee those 2014 picks become stars, most of those guys are 18 or 19 years old with zero sample size data to back it up, it's all potential at this point. Everyone swore Shabazz was going to be a superstar and #1 pick but now look at him, passed over by nearly half the league in the draft. No one had heard of Oladipo, and he became the #2 pick. Tanking does not work with every team, some teams are able to rebuild on the fly. This stuff changes too often to be so negative.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 06-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,918
    JT was going to get the QA offer., that's the only way to hold his restriction rights. Not saying the Hawks will or won't resign him, just saying it was academic, so the Hawks will have the chance to match if they decide to.

    I agree that Woodson does not like playing rookie pg's. But you can't blame it all on Woody, Joe, and Josh. While he showed flashes, ge also showed a lot of inconsistent effort on both ends of the floor. if he showed it in games, I'm sure he also showed it in practice. That likely more than anything else led to him not playing much early in his career.

    Now to the present day..... We saw the kind of offer Lin got last year, I would not go anywhere near that. While he has talent, he's not Mike Conley! Jason Terry with better court vission is more accurate. Conley is a pure point who looks for others first,, Jeff is not that.

Page 16 of 108 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •