Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Do you research?

I don't mean skim Scientific American and Nature, but rather primary research at an educational institution. After all, this is a science forum, and I figure that at least a few of you are interested in science as a career rather than as a hobby.

I just finished my BA in Psychology (minor in Philosophy) and have been working in a few different labs for a few years now and I've now settled into a cognitive neuroscience lab with some unbelievable people, which I'm hoping will act as a nice bridge to my PhD research, where ever I end up doing that. An overarching project in the lab is to understand linguistic fluency through ERPs (event-related potentials - glad to discuss if anyone is unfamiliar) and specifically, looking at extremely early lexical access (as early as <100 ms). Our current project - we've teamed up with a prominent linguist - is investigating the nature of compound word processing.

I can go into detail if anyone is interested in cognitive neuroscience and language processing, but since this is an introductory post, perhaps someone else can share their own research / research interests.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    I have a phd in neuropsychology. Work studying substance abuse, cognition, HIV, pain perception, risky sexual behavior, decision making. Currently developing cognitive tasks for ecological momentary assessment in opiate addicts amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I have a phd in neuropsychology. Work studying substance abuse, cognition, HIV, pain perception, risky sexual behavior, decision making. Currently developing cognitive tasks for ecological momentary assessment in opiate addicts amongst other things.
    That is quite a wide scope - so are you interested in these issues from a developmental perspective or purely cognitive? There are topics in there that range from social - developmental - cognitive - perceptual.

I completed my Honours thesis with a professor whose research touched on risky sexual behaviours, sexual predators, etc. He is also interested in sexual orientation development and that's the area on which I concentrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    That is quite a wide scope - so are you interested in these issues from a developmental perspective or purely cognitive? There are topics in there that range from social - developmental - cognitive - perceptual.

I completed my Honours thesis with a professor whose research touched on risky sexual behaviours, sexual predators, etc. He is also interested in sexual orientation development and that's the area on which I concentrated.
    In today's world when it comes to social science, you should be able incorporate ideas from Social, Developmental, Cognitive, Genetic, and Neuroscience into your ideas. If you can't look to other fields and recognize the similarities, then what happens is people do the same thing in 4 fields and have 4 different names for the same thing. Social science has become very multidisciplinary. I like to situate myself somewhere near the center of such a team. It's how I want my lab to eventually set up my lab.

In today's world when it comes to social science, you should be able incorporate ideas from Social, Developmental, Cognitive, Genetic, and Neuroscience into your ideas. If you can't look to other fields and recognize the similarities, then what happens is people do the same thing in 4 fields and have 4 different names for the same thing. Social science has become very multidisciplinary. I like to situate myself somewhere near the center of such a team. It's how I want my lab to eventually set up my lab.
    Absolutely, that's not really what I was getting at. It is just typically the case that one's specialization comes in a certain area and they branch out from there. The lab in which I am currently working incorporates cognitive neuroscience, social neuroscience, perception, and developmental psychology, but my advisor comes from a developmental background.

I am assuming that you didn't receive specific training in all 4, but rather have decided to branch out to all 4 afterwards. I think that most institutions with any legitimate feel for where the field is going encourage a lot of intra-departmental collaboration, which is necessary for embracing the complexity of wide-ranging issues since PhD training is usually specific to a particular subfield in psychology, e.g., social, developmental, brain and cognition.

Absolutely, that's not really what I was getting at. It is just typically the case that one's specialization comes in a certain area and they branch out from there. The lab in which I am currently working incorporates cognitive neuroscience, social neuroscience, perception, and developmental psychology, but my advisor comes from a developmental background.

I am assuming that you didn't receive specific training in all 4, but rather have decided to branch out to all 4 afterwards. I think that most institutions with any legitimate feel for where the field is going encourage a lot of intra-departmental collaboration, which is necessary for embracing the complexity of wide-ranging issues since PhD training is usually specific to a particular subfield in psychology, e.g., social, developmental, brain and cognition.
    I could safely say I received training in most of those fields. you are a product of your lab. If your lab is multidisciplinary, then you will receive training in those areas.

I could safely say I received training in most of those fields. you are a product of your lab. If your lab is multidisciplinary, then you will receive training in those areas.
    Interesting. As I said I haven't started my PhD yet so I am making assumptions based on the programs offered. For example, when applying to do your PhD you apply to a particular subfield and are admitted into that particular subfield. The coursework then focuses on issues in that subfield, but obviously I am underestimating the importance of learning through your lab mates.

If this thread title were, "Did you research?" I'd be in. I'm a high school teacher now (bio and chem), but in college I majored in animal behavior and researched sexual selection as it related to dominance hierarchies and bill color in zebra finches.

Interesting. As I said I haven't started my PhD yet so I am making assumptions based on the programs offered. For example, when applying to do your PhD you apply to a particular subfield and are admitted into that particular subfield. The coursework then focuses on issues in that subfield, but obviously I am underestimating the importance of learning through your lab mates.
    Not from your lab mates so much as from the research process. Grad school is not didactic like undergrad. It's not what you learn in class but what you learn while conducting your own research that's going to define your training.

As one who has been a nurse for 25 years, I appreciate the research done to discover medications that I use at work daily. Many people have their lives enhanced by this research.

Of course, research is an important part to become successful in any field. When I compose my music using Garageband which is one of the coolest apps for music production, I do lots of research about what kind of people are liking these days, etc. Although you can create any kind of music using GarageBand because it is a versatile music studio in itself. But still, research is required to stand out from the crowd.