Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for Basketball Purists

The past month I have heard about this prestigous group of basketball fans call basketball "purists". They said that a Bulls/SA or Indy/SA would be the best outcome for a finals matchup. Most said that they didn't want a flashy team like Miami in the Finals, because it isn't pure basketball.

My question to you after Game 1 is, where you not entertained last night. If that wasn't a great defensive and offensive stuggle I don't know what is. Do you retract your statement that you would rather see Chicago or Indiana in the finals.

this is a real topic I want to hear some thoughts. Not baiting or trolling. Was Game 1, pure basketball?

I think it is stupid that people call Miami a flashy team. It does them a disservice. LeBron is a pretty damn technically sound player.

I hate hearing that, because the HEAT are an athletic team doesn't mean they're not fundamentally sound.. Lebron has about as good of vision as anyone in the league and always makes sound efficient passes. Lebron also has great footwork in the post and is a good deep ball shooter.. Bosh is a good shooter and has some post moves as well. They wouldn't be in the finals if they weren't fundamentally sound.

Their style of basketball is boring. It was before yesterday and it still is today. It has nothing to do with fundamentals or anything. They execute their style pretty well, it's just boring. Lebron is fun to watch, but I think he'd be a lot more fun if he operated in a more traditional motion offense or the triangle. This dribble-drive/kick-out business just isn't all that interesting. It doesn't rely on matchups for the most part, it can lead to hot and cold spells, and a significant portion of offense needs to come from transition - which, again, is fine and good but it doesn't make for great x's and o's basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Their style of basketball is boring. It was before yesterday and it still is today. It has nothing to do with fundamentals or anything. They execute their style pretty well, it's just boring. Lebron is fun to watch, but I think he'd be a lot more fun if he operated in a more traditional motion offense or the triangle. This dribble-drive/kick-out business just isn't all that interesting. It doesn't rely on matchups for the most part, it can lead to hot and cold spells, and a significant portion of offense needs to come from transition - which, again, is fine and good but it doesn't make for great x's and o's basketball.
    If it is so simplistic, then why are they in the Finals for the 3rd year in a row. It is good basketball, it creates wins. Isn't that what good basketball is?

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownBears22 View Post
    If it is so simplistic, then why are they in the Finals for the 3rd year in a row. It is good basketball, it creates wins. Isn't that what good basketball is?
    Because they have the best player on the planet, a very athletic team that is pretty dominant defensively and in transition, and they have very good 3 point shooting.

Good basketball & creating wins is not always what people would call entertaining and flashy. Trust me, I know. (though I think many people, enjoy watching Miami)

Because they have the best player on the planet, a very athletic team that is pretty dominant defensively and in transition, and they have very good 3 point shooting.
    So a well rounded team is not pure basketball?

basketball purist are just hipsters that think they know basketball.

So a well rounded team is not pure basketball?
    I wouldn't call the Heat a well-rounded team. But nobody is saying they aren't good. They've been in the finals 3 years in a row - obviously they're a very good team. Are you just being deliberately obtuse?

I wouldn't call the Heat a well-rounded team. But nobody is saying they aren't good. They've been in the finals 3 years in a row - obviously they're a very good team. Are you just being deliberately obtuse?
    How is a team that has been to the finals 3 years in a row. Are a top efficiency team. Top 5 defensive top 5 offensive team. Not considered well rounded? They do everything relatively well, and most things they are top 5 in the NBA.

I'm still watching some of the re-cap that game had me on the edge of my seat

How is a team that has been to the finals 3 years in a row. Are a top efficiency team. Top 5 defensive top 5 offensive team. Not considered well rounded? They do everything relatively well, and most things they are top 5 in the NBA.
    Very light on big men. Lucky for them Lebron is the best player in the game and has a power forward's body, but that doesn't change the fact that their second best post player is Birdman.

A close game is a close game, and usually they're enjoyable to watch, but that doesn't mean that I'd like to watch Miami play over Indiana or Chicago. Those two teams are real basketball teams, I'd take that over the new, flashy and dumbed-down NBA any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
    A close game is a close game, and usually they're enjoyable to watch, but that doesn't mean that I'd like to watch Miami play over Indiana or Chicago. Those two teams are real basketball teams, I'd take that over the new, flashy and dumbed-down NBA any day.
    Yep. Traditional lineups. Traditional big men. Players who don't just live off athleticism and have high bball I.Q.

That's a glimpse of pure bball
    He felt that one

Bye Bye Haters

KNICKS SEAHAWKS RANGERS MARINERS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast