Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    84

    Is modern day Defense better then the Defense of the 80s and 90s


    Many talk about theres too many fouls in todays era but there were actually more fouls called in the 80s(some say due to high pace.) and the 90s.
    Then people talk about Handcheckins but teams averaged more points back then compared to now.
    So does this era actually hae better defenses then the pasts since less points are scored in this era. And since there are less fouls in this era doesn't this just prove that great defensive teams dont have to foul. And that Physical Defense isn't better then Non Physical Defense
    Last edited by A Black Prophet; 05-27-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,879
    I have never heard one player/coach/executive speak on the game being more physical now than it was in the 90s. Donnie Walsh like 2 days ago was saying how much different it is building a power team in today's league because of the game is officiated. There might have been more fouls but the fouls were real fouls, fouls that today are considered flagrants. Teams played more physical. A foul today was a no call yesterday, a foul yesterday is a flagrant today, the physical nature of the game meant more whistles, half the whistles you see now should be no calls.

    The number of fouls doesn't correlate to the overall physicalness of the game because the way the game is officiated and what is considered a foul in the eyes of the refs constantly changes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    73,020
    modern day defense is most certainly "better" than they've ever been.

    not at all because of anything mentioned in the OP, however.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,563
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I have never heard one player/coach/executive speak on the game being more physical now than it was in the 90s.
    Yea but Im sure plenty of former coaches/players would say the 60's/70's were more physical than the 80s/90s/Now. But the topic is about the strength of the defense, not the physicality of it. Like I've heard several coaches, whos careers span the eras, harp about the added intellectualism of today's complex schemes on top of superior athletes.

    You gotta admit its a conversation worth having, yet because of this, its something I dont put much effort into discussing, I just dont think any era is better overall, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, not sure whats the point in discrediting any far more than the other.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I have never heard one player/coach/executive speak on the game being more physical now than it was in the 90s. Donnie Walsh like 2 days ago was saying how much different it is building a power team in today's league because of the game is officiated. There might have been more fouls but the fouls were real fouls, fouls that today are considered flagrants. Teams played more physical. A foul today was a no call yesterday, a foul yesterday is a flagrant today, the physical nature of the game meant more whistles, half the whistles you see now should be no calls.

    The number of fouls doesn't correlate to the overall physicalness of the game because the way the game is officiated and what is considered a foul in the eyes of the refs constantly changes.
    Why is it that everytime someone brings up defense of the pasts all they can bring up is physicality im a say it once and im a say it again Physical Defense is not always better then non physical Defense for example Dennise rodman he was more physical then duncan he isn't a better defender then duncan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Yea but Im sure plenty of former coaches/players would say the 60's/70's were more physical than the 80s/90s/Now. But the topic is about the strength of the defense, not the physicality of it. Like I've heard several coaches, whos careers span the eras, harp about the added intellectualism of today's complex schemes on top of superior athletes.

    You gotta admit its a conversation worth having, yet because of this, its something I dont put much effort into discussing, I just dont think any era is better overall, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, not sure whats the point in discrediting any far more than the other.
    I think the overall skills, athleticism, nutrition/training and overall knowledge of the human body and the game of basketball makes the present era of NBA players 'better' than the past in a sense, but I also think the way the game is officiated has a lot to do with the ease or difficulty it takes to defend, score, or just play in any era. I think the way the game is officiated makes it harder to defend in today's era and easier to score, the way the game is officiated is beneficial to offensive stars, they are able to get FTs for minimal contact, players get in foul trouble early and they aren't able to clog lanes and protect the rim as aggressively. I think really in any field or walk of life, the further you go in the future, they are usually 'better' at their craft, you learn more and you improve.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,879
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Prophet View Post
    Why is it that everytime someone brings up defense of the pasts all they can bring up is physicality im a say it once and im a say it again Physical Defense is not always better then non physical Defense for example Dennise rodman he was more physical then duncan he isn't a better defender then duncan
    Because when your allowed to play physical it makes it easier to defend and tougher to score.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,089
    The degree of difficulty to play elite defense has gotten significantly harder with the hand-checking rules and the use of more and more 3pt specialists.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,879
    I would never sit here and say a guy like LeBron couldn't dominate in the 90s, but I think the overall physical nature of the game and hand checking would probably make it more difficult to drive the lane as successfully as he does. I do think he would adapt though just like the rest of the crop of NBA players would.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Because when your allowed to play physical it makes it easier to defend and tougher to score.
    Then why did they average more points in the 90s then how did wilkins put up insane scoring numbers and he wasn't a better scorer then Lebron

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,879
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Prophet View Post
    Then why did they average more points in the 90s then how did wilkins put up insane scoring numbers and he wasn't a better scorer then Lebron
    Who knows? Pace? More fouls due to the physical nature of the game, better post players and higher percentage looks. There is probably multiple reasons for that. Points scored doesn't necessarily equal better defense because, again, the way the game is officiated and the things you are permitted to do by the referees on both ends constantly changes. You can't really compare stats from different eras as equals because of that. I would think it would be possible to play better D in an era where more points were scored.

    In short, I think the league is more talented, players are probably better defenders, but they aren't encourage by the way the game is officiated to play great defense, the refs make it more difficult to play great defense, and I don't think points scored is enough to sway me from that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    The degree of difficulty to play elite defense has gotten significantly harder with the hand-checking rules and the use of more and more 3pt specialists.
    You dont need to hand check to play elite defense Lebron,Ron Artest, Chris Paul, Paul George, Conley, Wade has proven this to us
    And dont let me mention Bigmen

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Who knows? Pace? More fouls due to the physical nature of the game, better post players and higher percentage looks. There is probably multiple reasons for that. Points scored doesn't necessarily equal better defense because, again, the way the game is officiated and the things you are permitted to do by the referees on both ends constantly changes. You can't really compare stats from different eras as equals because of that.
    But if physical defense is really that big of a deal you would think they would average less PPG thats why I say like Zone defense hand checking is really overrated and I disagree handchecking would not effect lebron scoring ability he would probably average a lot more FT attempts you guys forget MJ averaged 11.9 FTA his 3rd year in the NBA. And I always say Wilkins had pretty good scoring years in the 90s and he isn't a better scorer then Lebron so lebron would do just as good in that era like he is doing in this era.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8,468
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I have never heard one player/coach/executive speak on the game being more physical now than it was in the 90s. Donnie Walsh like 2 days ago was saying how much different it is building a power team in today's league because of the game is officiated. There might have been more fouls but the fouls were real fouls, fouls that today are considered flagrants. Teams played more physical. A foul today was a no call yesterday, a foul yesterday is a flagrant today, the physical nature of the game meant more whistles, half the whistles you see now should be no calls.

    The number of fouls doesn't correlate to the overall physicalness of the game because the way the game is officiated and what is considered a foul in the eyes of the refs constantly changes.
    Physicality doesn't necessarily guarantee a better defense. It's the combination of individual defensive skills/IQ and the scheme put in place by the coach.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Prophet View Post
    Why is it that everytime someone brings up defense of the pasts all they can bring up is physicality im a say it once and im a say it again Physical Defense is not always better then non physical Defense for example Dennise rodman he was more physical then duncan he isn't a better defender then duncan
    Dennis Rodman in the first half of his career was an amazing defender. The second half of his career he bailed out On defense to keep racking up the boards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •