Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceviche!!!

Ceviche!!!

all praise the glory of acid-cooked raw fish with various accoutrement!

living in SoFla, i'm fortunate to have a variety of top-notch and authentic ceviches from all over south america. my personal favorite is peruvian ceviche (specifically grouper, octopus, scallop, or black conch). i have a little shack down the street from me that does AMAZING peruvian ceviche for less than $10 (and you get a shitload of high-quality fish, not some pansy amount... it's more than enough for lolo and i to share).

to me, the perfect ceviche is super-fresh grouper, thinly sliced red onion, lime juice, peruvian corn, hominy, some slices of sweet potato or yucca, and a little S&P to season. maybe some cilantro too.

then, after lolo takes her share, i set that ceviche on fire with this incredible green hot sauce (the guy won't tell me what it is... he says it's his family's secret hot sauce for over 75 years!).

who else loves ceviche? what kinds do you enjoy and where do you get it?
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

My step mom is half peruvian half polish.
    Her father moved to Peru following his service in the Polish Army during WWII.
    Let me tell you how lucky I was for that to happen then somehow she met my dad.

My grandma's ceviche is the tig o bittes. Anything that woman touches is delicious. I don't understand how she can make beans and rice good enough for me to eat pounds of it.

db75 Guest
    I freaking love ceviche, but it's so damn hard to find a good one in the Midwest (or good fish to make one at home)

Nothing beats the one my cousin made when we went fishing. Well, actually, my cousins are fishermen in the Philippines. They took me on a trip when I was around 13-14. Left the shore pitch black. Woke up, there it is, fresh fish. We just killed and cleaned the fish minutes before we ate it. Sooo soo good. I can't remember what kind of fish it is since I didn't care then. Fresh civeche and fresh seaweed sprinkled with fish sauce diluted with water and fresh of calamnsi. That's when I started to appreciate living in a province. What a great day it was.

I have always wanted to try this.
    Are there any you would recommend for a quick bite in SoBe

Also any food trucks you recommend in SOBE.

Holy **** **** how have we not had a ceviche thread yet?

You nailed it with the grouper. I'm also a big fan of sea bass for ceviche.

I haven't made it in a long time, but often get it out. For some reason I just never end up going to a high quality fish market....well the reason is they're all over priced in LA.

Love it with sea bass or halibut cooked in lime juice with onion and garlic. then once its done, mix in diced serrano, green olives, chopped tomato and cilantro and olive oil.

.....****, now I have to make some this weekend. Been far too long.

Not a fan of shrimp ceviche, but my in-laws make it pretty often. It's delicious, but I just prefer fish over shrimp for it.

Was looking up recipes and found this (from my favorite chef): http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=210

Never thought of doing it with scallops.....I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I have always wanted to try this.
    Are there any you would recommend for a quick bite in SoBe

Also any food trucks you recommend in SOBE.
    my ceviche in brickell http://www.myceviche.com/

it's about 10-15 mins from SOBE in a very popular and gastronimcally friendly area (try momi ramen if you're in brickell)

EDIT: there's also ceviche 105 near SOBE, which is probably the "trendiest" ceviche place in miami, but i find it to be just ok and rather pretentious. my ceviche is better. the shack 2 minutes from my place is the best (but i live a little norffff of miami).
    Last edited by BroadwayJoe; 06-04-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Holy **** **** how have we not had a ceviche thread yet?

You nailed it with the grouper. I'm also a big fan of sea bass for ceviche.

I haven't made it in a long time, but often get it out. For some reason I just never end up going to a high quality fish market....well the reason is they're all over priced in LA.

Love it with sea bass or halibut cooked in lime juice with onion and garlic. then once its done, mix in diced serrano, green olives, chopped tomato and cilantro and olive oil.

.....****, now I have to make some this weekend. Been far too long.

Not a fan of shrimp ceviche, but my in-laws make it pretty often. It's delicious, but I just prefer fish over shrimp for it.
    1. completely agree about shrimp ceviche... shrimp tends to overcook in the acidity and become too tough

2. sea bass ceviche is my ****ing JAM!!! i used to make homemade sea bass ceviche with the fruits of my labors from fishing. sea bass tiradito is the shiznittlebamsnipsnapsack too.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    1. completely agree about shrimp ceviche... shrimp tends to overcook in the acidity and become too tough

2. sea bass ceviche is my ****ing JAM!!! i used to make homemade sea bass ceviche with the fruits of my labors from fishing. sea bass tiradito is the shiznittlebamsnipsnapsack too.
    Always wanted to try it with halibut, but never have.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Always wanted to try it with halibut, but never have.
    i've had halibut ceviche before, but my parents' neighbors went on a fishing excursion in alaska and said they made some themselves minutes after catching a MASSIVE halibut while still on the commercial ship. they said it was the best fish dish they've ever had, of any variety.

they were kind enough to give me a few halibut and salmon filets, but obviously they were freeze-dried and shipped home.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i've had halibut ceviche before, but my parents' neighbors went on a fishing excursion in alaska and said they made some themselves minutes after catching a MASSIVE halibut while still on the commercial ship. they said it was the best fish dish they've ever had, of any variety.

they were kind enough to give me a few halibut and salmon filets, but obviously they were freeze-dried and shipped home.
    That's awesome. My buddy went down to Mexico and some locals took him on a fishing trip and they made ceviche the way it originated (like you said); right on the boat, fish out of the water, filleted and dropped in the lime juice (I think he said cilantro, tomato and avocado too? Can't remember). He said it was amazing. I can't remember what kind of fish it was though.

I bet that fresh halibut was great. Halibuts are huge right? Don't think I've ever seen one in person other than in fillet form.

EDIT "Hey GGGGG-Men, why don't you just Google a picture of one and find out dumb ***". And I did and yes they are.

halibut are ginormous... especially the wild ones in alaska
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

any food trucks in SOBE that are must have BWJ?

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    any food trucks in SOBE that are must have BWJ?
    a few, but i'd recommend actual restaurants over nearly every one of them... dim ssam a go-go is good (but they're the mobile off-shoot of sakaya kitchen in downtown miami, which is better and has a more expansive menu). nacho bizness is really good for fish tacos/burritos and their AWESOME fresh ginger lemonade. other than that, stick to sit-downs.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast