Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 200

Thread: Blow it up!

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,832
    I've been around way too long to take offense at other posters.........I'm cool .........the punctuation police have hated me for years. That said.....I'm not writing a thesis here.lol

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Norwood Park, IL
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsBullsCHWS View Post
    I'm pretty sure Bush League was just really drunk when he posted that. I don't think he actually has any kind of problem with too many periods or your style.
    This is true. I don't discriminate against periods or any other form of punctuation.

    U.S. Cellular Field, where dumb baseball thoughts are embraced.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,832
    ROFLMAO.....hey...I know tempers flair after watching this team lately.

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    18,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    LOL! Really? It doesn't mean anything? Nothing at all. In order to get on base you need to either get a HIT or draw a WALK. Something a good hitter does. 2 things that Dunn is not capable of unless the ball leaves the yard or .... or he gets hit by the pitch. Adam Dunn is a waste of a roster spot, but unfortunately people like watching the little ball go high up in the air and our golden chance to trade his sorry butt out of town this past winter. The Astros might take him, for a couple of coupons to Subway but that's it.

    My original statement is that the current White Sox depend too much on the home run. Have you not been watching. The only reason they won in Texas was because fluky Flowers hit a OMG wait for it ... a home run. Otherwise they lose that game. How about the game against KC last night, how many hits did we have? 4, 4 lonely hits. The lineup is a mix of crap and capzasin with sprinkles of a couple possible cornerstones for a rebuild. We need people who can HIT and unfortunately for you that means people who have decent averages and the OBP will come with those averages. Why? Because a good hitter does both.




    One really big flaw with your argument Dunn's stats from last year were 110 hits of which 41 left the park, that means 37% of his hits were home runs. This compared to his stats with the Nationals has him hitting 10% more of his OBP as home runs. Before coming to the WS he had 145 Hits and 38 home runs. That's a considerable difference and it shows with a .356 and the year before that it was .398 in OBP. He relies too much on the home run and a good hitter would have a lower percentage of HR's to Hits. Batting .147 and 6 home runs is just plain awful, and as a Sox fan I'm done with Dunn. Also Dunn had a lot of walks last year because teams played cautious with him because he was actually hitting the ball out of the park but 2 years ago and now are showing that all he is ever good at is hitting the ball out of the park and that is it.



    Why the comparison? Really? Do I really need to point this out that you can't see the comparison which I did put in my last statement. Both teams are built on home run hitters, and both teams are crap. Which confirms my point that home run hitters do not make a team.



    Arguing Cubs points with me is an automatic deduction of 25 points, and additional 25 points because this is a White Sox forum. You want to play the Cubbie fan whine go to their forum. But to tame the little home run fan in you, they have no clutch hitting, therefore they score little to any runs.

    On to a basic reading lesson for you. First you need to calm down when you read, second those are 2 different statements. One was hypothetical because, while it isn't impossible to hit 10 home runs in a game it is impractical to think that a team will hit 10 home runs a game, since the average per game is about 1-2 home runs (that's per game considering both teams). The next statement was a practical statement, 10 hits in a game is more likely then 10 home runs in a game. Okay do you get it now?

    Your obvious hysterics and lapses in judgement preclude that you are obviously not reading anything I have written or you just can't understand simple logic. Last years World Series Champions the Giants hit a league worst 103 home runs BUT top 10 in avg and obp. Which alone stands to prove that you don't need the long ball to win games since they won 94 of them, oh and a title.

    A balanced team removes players like Dunn from the line up, and inserts more dynamic players or more to the point an urgency for the players on the team to work together and not hope for someone to hit it out of the park. I rather have a team that scores runs with 10 hits (no home runs) and CLUTCH hitting then a team that prays for the home run to win a game for them. It will never be a good season for any team that needs a home run every game to win. Oh look it's happening now with the White Sox. Get rid of Dunn and the old bones on this team and get fresh young clutch hitters who hit for average and your OBP will come with them.

    IMHO, OBP is a little overrated. It counts home runs as actually getting on base when technically the player isn't actually on base since he clears the bases. OBP should be (Hits + all walks - Home runs) divided by (AB + all walks + Sac flys).
    There is just so much "I can't believe what I am reading" in here I don't know where to start.

    You do realize batting average is not looked at as it once was. Batting average equates to everything being the same. Single, double, triple & home runs are all the same in BA. I hope that you realize a HR is better than a single. Also a triple and double are better than a single. For you saying HR are a bad thing and that they shouldn't be counted in OBP is just WOW! Like BBCHWS said the Sox are lacking OBP guys who are not power hitters. Dunn and Konerko are the only true power hitting guys who have high OBP. But our dumbass hitting coach got into Dunn's head by saying swing earlier which goes against Dunn's strength of taking pitches and having long AB's.

    My favorite non White Sox player is Kevin Youkilis, he is the exact hitter that the Sox organization is lacking. In his prime he was an OBP machine. He didn't have that much power but had great at bats all the time and was always around a .400 OBP. The only guy on the White Sox who is an ok OBP guy is DeAza and its only his second full year. Hell Rios isn't that great of an OBP guy, he has always been around .340 which is just ok.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,289
    I can sum up everything in one sentence.

    You can rely on the home run you just need the OBP to back it up. White Sox are last(DEAD ****ing LAST) in OBP and Walk%. Thats the real problem here.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    16,707
    Danks getting closer to returning.

    He was hitting low 90s consistently and went 7 innings only throwing 86 pitches.

    I really hope he can bounce back and become at least a really good #3 pitcher.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    There is just so much "I can't believe what I am reading" in here I don't know where to start.

    You do realize batting average is not looked at as it once was. Batting average equates to everything being the same. Single, double, triple & home runs are all the same in BA. I hope that you realize a HR is better than a single. Also a triple and double are better than a single. For you saying HR are a bad thing and that they shouldn't be counted in OBP is just WOW! Like BBCHWS said the Sox are lacking OBP guys who are not power hitters. Dunn and Konerko are the only true power hitting guys who have high OBP. But our dumbass hitting coach got into Dunn's head by saying swing earlier which goes against Dunn's strength of taking pitches and having long AB's.

    My favorite non White Sox player is Kevin Youkilis, he is the exact hitter that the Sox organization is lacking. In his prime he was an OBP machine. He didn't have that much power but had great at bats all the time and was always around a .400 OBP. The only guy on the White Sox who is an ok OBP guy is DeAza and its only his second full year. Hell Rios isn't that great of an OBP guy, he has always been around .340 which is just ok.

    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run, because a home run on its own is just 1 run. While a base hit starts something, it builds confidence, and it gets the guys going. In 2 games thus far against KC, the Royals haven't hit any home runs but yet they have won both games because they have a roster of players who can hit and get on base for the next guy.

    If you have ever played baseball you would know what I'm talking about. Ever hear the coach say "just get a little hit here" hell I think Hawk has said it more then a few times. He isn't talking about hitting a home run he's talking about getting on base. There is psychological factor behind it that gets the other guys going.

    It's a reason why I say IMHO that OBP should not count home runs. A more accurate stat would subtract home runs because he isn't actually on base for the next guy. The active words are "on base".

    People rely way too much on the home run when 2 singles and a double can score you 2 and sustain a rally and even knock out the pitcher from the game.

    Some people understand this because they actually played the game not just show up and swing the bat. I remember many times when I played when I could easily have jacked a home run but it was more logical to get a hit and get on for the next guy. But then again not many people really know the game.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    37,176
    This is literally the most mind-numbing thing I have ever read. It's like you're one of those annoying ATT brats who would decide to go with slower rather than faster, or thinks Nicky rhymes with flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run, because a home run on its own is just 1 run.
    What is wrong with you

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    16,707
    Haha, it is just amusing now. Can we please just shut down this thread. DaSox, lets get a trade and transactions thread up and going.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,737
    Being able to make a connection between baseball commentaries and little brats on a telco commercial . . . .
    RTC JD.

    By the way, I've seen no one (here or elsewhere) point out that if Hawk's stupid theory is true, then the Sox are losing because they don't care. I wonder how Hawk would feel about that?

    Oh, and is it wrong that I'm attracted to Sager simply because of his sig?

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    37,176
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheCell View Post
    Being able to make a connection between baseball commentaries and little brats on a telco commercial . . . .
    RTC JD.

    By the way, I've seen no one (here or elsewhere) point out that if Hawk's stupid theory is true, then the Sox are losing because they don't care. I wonder how Hawk would feel about that?
    I've been wondering the same thing. Or, the fact that sabermetrically the Sox are the worst offense in the American League.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wheeling, IL
    Posts
    6,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run, because a home run on its own is just 1 run. While a base hit starts something, it builds confidence, and it gets the guys going. In 2 games thus far against KC, the Royals haven't hit any home runs but yet they have won both games because they have a roster of players who can hit and get on base for the next guy.

    If you have ever played baseball you would know what I'm talking about. Ever hear the coach say "just get a little hit here" hell I think Hawk has said it more then a few times. He isn't talking about hitting a home run he's talking about getting on base. There is psychological factor behind it that gets the other guys going.

    It's a reason why I say IMHO that OBP should not count home runs. A more accurate stat would subtract home runs because he isn't actually on base for the next guy. The active words are "on base".

    People rely way too much on the home run when 2 singles and a double can score you 2 and sustain a rally and even knock out the pitcher from the game.

    Some people understand this because they actually played the game not just show up and swing the bat. I remember many times when I played when I could easily have jacked a home run but it was more logical to get a hit and get on for the next guy. But then again not many people really know the game.
    Dude. I played college baseball. I know what I'm talking about when I say a home run is better than a single.

    I'M A MONSTER!!!!!!

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wheeling, IL
    Posts
    6,087
    You do realize that back to back to back home runs score 3 runs, where 2 singles and a double only score 2, right?

    I'M A MONSTER!!!!!!

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wheeling, IL
    Posts
    6,087
    I literally cannot fathom what on God's green Earth is going through your head.

    I'M A MONSTER!!!!!!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •