Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    My private high school was on a 12.0 scale (A+ was 12, A was 11, A- was 10, etc)

69 was failing, and a 93 was a B+

I had a low A- average, so something like 10.2 or so.

I got a 31 on the ACT, and went to the DII college in my local town. I didn't care about college in the slightest and dropped out and got a job.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    That's about where I was. Not doing just fine, but closer to there than I was a few years ago. Can I ask what field you're in?
    I'm not rich by any means. When I say just fine, I mean I make enough to pay the bills and raise a kid while still being able to go out and do things (dinner, movie, whatever. I don't drink or party or anything like that). My wife works also.
    I do in-home work for Geek Squad. Mainly home theater installs, but also a little PC/networking. Used to do computer repair inside the Best Buy store for Geek Squad as well.
    I've been with BB about 6 years and doing Geek Squad for 4. I can honestly say I enjoy what I do and they are very good about promoting from within. I typically get to the store to get my work van around 745 and I'm off around 4 or 5 (sometimes earlier or later, depending on what jobs are scheduled)
    I get benefits, 401k, employee discount, pto, etc. I average about 45 hrs per week and have Sundays and Mondays off. Can't complain at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by goingfor28; 06-26-2018 at 06:44 PM.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    I had like a 3.4 out of 4 and a 34 on the ACT Went to the U of I, but that's the only place I applied. Was not afraid of not getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Little hazy on some details, afterall it was 1993 when I went through this process. I had a 3.7 GPA, played 3 sports, and applied to only like 5-6 schools. I think my SAT/ACT scores were around 1050/27. San Diego State, Texas A&M at Galveston, University of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Northern Iowa, and a maritime academy out west. I was accepted to all of them, but went to Texas A&M. Now, when I went to college, I basically smoked pot and drank 40's the first year, so I had to dig myself out of a 1.3 GPA, and ended up around a 2.9 when I graduated, so I didn't set the world on fire or anything.

I am so out of touch with the application process today, where every kid thinks they need to go to college, so the schools are flooded. I do know my wife's daughter is an off the charts student, test scores are amazing, she plays softball, and volunteers for kids programs. She just got back from visiting West Pointe. She is constantly applying for scholarships, but the schools she is applying to and being accepted to would have laughed at me. It's funny to me that she has to chase getting academic scholarships, instead of the other way around.
    It's still only about 50%... and the % of high school grads going to college is dropping not rising.

In my opinion the big difference between college back when we went and now, is that today it's more of a business. Schools are fighting to stay afloat. It also explains grade inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Reading this thread I have no baseline for what is good or not. When I went through the processes, SATs were out of 1600 but some people are posting scores in the 2000's. GPA was out of 4.0 and now people are posting 4.5's.

But it's actually a great time to be a college grad right now, their unemployment rate out of College is very low and they aren't having much trouble looking for work. The economy is doing good and they are fine. So this backlash about going to college will likely recede once people start realizing the current crop of college grads are actually going to earn more than their non-college graduating counterparts. Basically, college grads during the recession got screwed.
    Honestly what it comes down to when I was looking at college vs not, is that the kid out of college has proven they can be responsible (enough) and follow directions well enough for 4 years. It's not just about the major it's about some basic life skills. (I'm not saying it's necessary, but it's worthwile)

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    It's still only about 50%... and the % of high school grads going to college is dropping not rising.

In my opinion the big difference between college back when we went and now, is that today it's more of a business. Schools are fighting to stay afloat. It also explains grade inflation.
    Is that because they're going to trade schools or they're just not getting any education beyond High School? Or do you know?

might that be because there are other educational/training options out there rather than college? Or do you think people are weighing the cost versus expectations?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    might that be because there are other educational/training options out there rather than college? Or do you think people are weighing the cost versus expectations?
    To you and valade... I would guess some of it was the financial meltdown, the numbers I saw only went up to 2013. I would guess some of the message comes through (and I agree) college is not for everyone, and there is a lot to be said for finding a trade, or if you got a good idea and the money going into business for yourself.

I'm sure the numbers are out there. But colleges are having trouble partially just because of the lack of population growth.

All that said WAAAAAAAAyyyy more people go to college than back in the 90s

To you and valade... I would guess some of it was the financial meltdown, the numbers I saw only went up to 2013. I would guess some of the message comes through (and I agree) college is not for everyone, and there is a lot to be said for finding a trade, or if you got a good idea and the money going into business for yourself.

I'm sure the numbers are out there. But colleges are having trouble partially just because of the lack of population growth.

All that said WAAAAAAAAyyyy more people go to college than back in the 90s
    kids are getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I wanna say I was around a 3.7-3.8.... I applied to a handful of schools (Michigan, Hillsdale, Michigan State, UC Davis, UCLA, and UCSD)... I got into them all except UCLA. However, I ended up just going to local community college for a few years and joined the merchant marines lol. Eventually went back and earned my BS and then MS.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = Rebuild Mode! Love my fellow Faithful
    Warriors = 2015 & 2017 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    A's = The young talent is here!
    WINNING!

Late on this one, but to the OP.
    Do the best you can the rest of the way, but don’t drive yourself crazy with anxiety about it? I work with a lot of kids your age that come to me because they have bad situations at home and/or have problems with the law. Most of them have poor gpa’s or have quit high school, they all get in and go to college.

If you know what you want to do, find a college that excels in your particular field. That would include having good labs and resources, current tech, and a healthy network of alumni in that field. For the most part, a bachelors is a bachelors. Shoot for the moon when you are looking at grad school.

If you don’t know what you want to do, there is absolutely nothing wrong with community college. Take a wide variety of classes until you find something that calls to you. You get a fresh start and you can take those grades(unfortunately not always the credits) when you do figure out what you are interested in.

Don’t sweat the gpa, but put forth your best effort. College is a totally different animal than high school.

FWIW, I had a 3.4 gpa with a 32 in my ACT. I took a wrestling scholarship from university of Illinois and transferred after my freshman year(knocked up the old lady)to be closer to home. I went to a graduation ceremony at NIU this spring for a kid I worked with that quit high school and finished his degree with a 3.7. Again, work hard, but don’t sweat the outcome. You will be fine.

As an abused foster child from the slums I didn't see many ways out for myself. Eventually I found myself working construction and moonlighting as a janitor at MIT. One day a math professor happen to leave a problem on the board that the I solved for kicks. Who solved the problem became a big mystery. the teacher puts up another problem and unbeknownst to me set up a sting operation. He winds up catching me solving this problem too. Anyway he is impressed by my math skills and eventually blackmails me into studying math at MIT

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    As an abused foster child from the slums I didn't see many ways out for myself. Eventually I found myself working construction and moonlighting as a janitor at MIT. One day a math professor happen to leave a problem on the board that the I solved for kicks. Who solved the problem became a big mystery. the teacher puts up another problem and unbeknownst to me set up a sting operation. He winds up catching me solving this problem too. Anyway he is impressed by my math skills and eventually blackmails me into studying math at MIT
    You should consider writing a screenplay based on your story.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    kids are getting dumber
    This is 100% untrue. people are getting smarter as time goes on.

What was your guys GPA and what colleges did you get accepted into?

This is 100% untrue. people are getting smarter as time goes on.
    The generation that has reverted to suppressing art and seeing everything in black and white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 07-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678