Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LA Lakers 1971 33 Game Streak

I just want to post some interesting stats, I'm not trying to say this is better, or anything else, I'm taking some information I found interesting about the streak when I looked it up for myself and wanted to share.

1. The Lakers played 4 back-to-back-to-back games during the streak.
    2. 2 times during the streak they played 5 games in 6 days (back to back to back, day off, then back to back)
    3. They scored over 120 points, 22 times
    4. They defeated the Warriors 4 times and the Celtics 3 times during the streak.
    5. The streak ended against the Milwaukee Bucks, with Kareem Abdul Jabaar
    6. Wilt Chamberlain was 35, and Jerry West 33
    7. They had 3 players who played 38+ minutes per game for the season
    8. 16 games were away, 17 were at home.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...972_games.html
    Last edited by Tymathee; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Cool, but none of this is comparable to the Heat's streak because the league is completely different now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Unprecedented pussification.

There was only 16 other teams they could play against, as other teams were still in the ABA. 33 games is 33 games, and is very very impressive but yes, it was a totaly different era. The Heat's approach of this 4 decade old record is a great story.

Jerry West traveled.

You have to admit what's impressive about the Laker streak are the 3 games in 3 nights. Brutal schedule when your best players are in their mid thirties. Either way I respect both streaks. That's hard to do in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    You have to admit what's impressive about the Laker streak are the 3 games in 3 nights. Brutal schedule when your best players are in their mid thirties. Either way I respect both streaks. That's hard to do in any era.
    Couldn't agree more. Both are phenomenal streaks. Why can't people realize this?

Quote Originally Posted by ATX View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Both are phenomenal streaks. Why can't people realize this?
    Both are great, the heats just less impressive.

Yeah. I don't really care which is better. The East is down, for sure, and that matters. But the Heat still are going to beat essentially all the playoff teams except for 2 or 3 over this streak if they beat SAS. There have been some REALLY bad teams, especially lately, but they've beaten just about everyone over this streak. The NBA talent pool was a bit less impressive back then, but there were less teams so that talent pool was perhaps more condensed.

They're both amazing streaks. I'm 100% content with leaving it at that.

The Lakers streak of 33 was 13 games longer than the Bucks' streak the year before. If the Heat get to 33 it will be 11 games longer than the Rockets' streak a few years back. Comparing them each to the second best streaks of their era and they both look equally as impressive. It's hard to see any trend suggesting it was easier to go on long winning streaks then as it is now, or vise versa.

Both are amazing. That's good enough for me. Comparing them is trivial.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Both are impressive. I just think the Heat's current streak is harder to do considering the league today is much more competitive. Basketball is much more popular, and you have international players competing as well. Laker fans are really getting annoying ever since Lebron has taken over the league. First with how they're so defensive about Kobe, now they're getting all defensive about some streak that none of them even witnessed to seeing.

Why can't Laker fans just appreciate history being made right in front of their eyes? They're all so bitter it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrofan45 View Post
    Both are impressive. I just think the Heat's current streak is harder to do considering the league today is much more competitive. Basketball is much more popular, and you have international players competing as well. Laker fans are really getting annoying ever since Lebron has taken over the league. First with how they're so defensive about Kobe, now they're getting all defensive about some streak that none of them even witnessed to seeing.

Why can't Laker fans just appreciate history being made right in front of their eyes? They're all so bitter it's pathetic.
    Lol You act like it happened in the 1800's..

Actually your the one coming off bitter.

Wow 5 games in 6 days is tough!

I dont think anyone here is comparing era's, Just a lot of jelly fans who's teams will never have the history the Lakers do.

Thats pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloDaw9 View Post
    Lol You act like it happened in the 1800's..

Actually your the one coming off bitter.
    I don't understand the LOL part, it was 40 years ago. Only 50 year olds could barely even remember it.

How am I bitter? I'm a celtics fan and we have the most championships of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrofan45 View Post
    I don't understand the LOL part, it was 40 years ago. Only 50 year olds could barely even remember it.

How am I bitter? I'm a celtics fan and we have the most championships of all time.
    Your obviously bitter towards Laker fans and Kobe or why bring it up? I didn't see anyone defending Kobe in this thread..

Lol because it's funny that you believe no one over 50 exists.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloDaw9 View Post
    Your obviously bitter towards Laker fans and Kobe or why bring it up? I didn't see anyone defending Kobe in this thread..

Lol because it's funny that you believe no one over 50 exists.
    There aren't many people over 50 on this website so I don't see anything wrong with what I said before. And I brought it up because all you see on this site are Laker fans bringing up Kobe's accomplishments again and again like they are trying to prove to the rest of us of how great he is while trying to negate Lebron's greatness. I love watching Kobe play along with Lebron. But over these past few months Laker fans on this site have become so annoying it's unbearable.

And now with this thread trying to negate the current streak the Heat have going. And you're calling me a "jelly" fan? Nice try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast