Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Is this franchise doomed?

Let me "shoot", if you don't mind.

The Houston Astros have ALWAYS been a "punching bag" of a baseball team throughout the years. They were literally "born to die" (as the video from astrosdaily.com media section says), and through time the words seem to portray truth behind this thought.

During the 1980's the team began to turn around. We eventually had one of the BEST pitching staffs (Ryans, Richards, Scott), and we were possibly bound for glory. However, the 86 meltdown in the NLCS proved otherwise.

Fast forward to the 1990's. The year we had Randy Johnson, if I recall correctly we won something around 102 games. However, AGAIN, we sadly lost in the first round to the Padres.

Go even further, and it's 2003. I was in Amarillo, Texas on a business trip. I sit down at a bar, order an ice cold brew, and look up at the big screen. It's sportscenter, and BREAKING NEWS...... Andy Pettitte is coming home to Houston. Seems like something may be brewing here.

A few weeks or so later (I still to this day have not seen the footage), Andy Pettitte shows up to give an Astros hat to his buddy...... ROGER CLEMENS. Next thing ya know BANG you have the ROCKET and the SOUTHPAW home in Houston. Starting to sound good now! In the next two years, Minute Maid Park broke records in revenue. We hit the playoffs BOTH years, NLCS both years, and the World Series in 2005. Sadly, we lost in 4 to the Chicago White Sox (eh, no point to ***** about it, the team didn't use their bullpen at ALL in the ALCS).

Since then, Drayton McLane worked under the assumption we were ONE player away from another World Series. Yeah, we all saw how THAT worked out.

Then, finally, Jim Crane buys the team. A new owner. A new direction. BUT WAIT........ there is a catch. The team was bought ONLY if the Astros were moved (THANK MLB) to the AL West.... one of the HOTTEST divisions in baseball.

So my question is....... WHERE does this team go now? We are in COMPLETE rebuild mode, and the future is NOT looking bright at all. Is this team ruined?

Only time will tell. Get ready for another 100 loss season folks. The DOG DAYS have arrived!

Drayton really screwed us. That being said, I like what I see from Crane. Really excited for this year!

Quote Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
    Drayton really screwed us. That being said, I like what I see from Crane. Really excited for this year!
    I agree with you that I like the direction they are going. It is the only plausible direction to take after Drayton McLane completely disregarded the minor league system from 2006 until he sold the team. I also like the hire of Jeff Luhnow as G.M. He was instrumental in developing the Cardinals farm system, which is far and away the best minor league system in baseball today. I know it is frustrating for Astro fans right now as they will finish last in the A.L. West and come close to, if not exceeding, 100 losses. However, if you have patience I think you will see the fruits of this rebuild in about 2-3 years. I am not saying we will win the World Series then, but we will be a much more competitive team challenging for the A.L. West division crown.

With you guys tanking the last couple of years and this year for Rondon. You are set to have an outstanding amount of top talent coming up. As a fan of a rebuilding team, you guys did alot better job completely tearing down. We kind of half-assed our rebuild.

im actually legit scared we aren't going to get the #1 pick and miss out on Rondon. I mean something like Appel/Rondon/McCullers in a couple years is just
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    im actually legit scared we aren't going to get the #1 pick and miss out on Rondon. I mean something like Appel/Rondon/McCullers in a couple years is just
    Yes, that would be a mean rotation and would allow us to be a top tier team for many years. Add in Folty and we could have a rotation unmatched in baseball.

You can always get points in the media for blowing up rosters and rebuilding "the right way" with youth. Seldom does anyone look at the number of times this strategy didn't work. The prospects Houston got from the fire sale often didn't have much upside. You can get younger trading salary (and be honest, this is what the trades were about) but younger doesn't always mean better. "We have more depth in our minor league system" means something if that depth is producing players who are pushing position players and rotation pitchers for their jobs. If not, then what does it mean to someone paying major league ticket prices to watch AAA players fail in the majors?

The key will be the draft. If Houston doesn't consistently click on their top picks this team could be bad not just in the near term, but for a long time to come. There is also a downward spiral aspect in which baseball revenues decline so much over the next few years there won't be an ability to pay to bring in needed veteran depth when the youngsters hit the majors (assuming they do). Then we are not just talking about five years of bush league baseball in Houston, but as many as 10.

What this debacle points out (beyond the need to remove Bud Selig as commissioner) is the absolute necessity of a salary "floor" in baseball to prevent teams from ripping off their fans and communities. We may be watching the worst team in major league history and there is no promise to fix anything, just the assurance that five years from now you'll see we knew what we're doing. Seeing as this is a team built on a series of one-sided deals which will likely not produce major league starters it is hard to see the franchise as anything other than on a one way ticket to long standing mediocrity.

Is this franchise doomed?

This team is on the way up IMO. We are finally loaded with prospects throughout our farm system. I trust our FO and I love how they're taking this team from rock bottom and moving up. These are definitely our dark days, but we have plenty of light ahead for years to come.

Yes it is.....trying to bottom-out and gut the team to keep payroll to a bare minimum over the years to make the team attractive to sell has left this team a laughing stock. A minor league team playing against big leaguers with hopes of prospering and growing together fast. Sometimes draft picks take 3-4 years to develop; maybe they turn into busts? Hopes of the pitching turning out to be like Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Millwood is a crap-shoot!! Lets hope it works soon!! ***Maddux was traded for (to Atlanta)......Houston is trading away Wandy and Bud Norris type young Vet pitching??? Will they never be 3rd to 5th starter material??
    Last edited by Jatman20; 07-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Olajuwon: Pass me the Ball
    Kenny Smith: But "Dream", You're covered by four guys
    Olajuwon: That's OK....I Dunk on ALL of Them !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jatman20 View Post
    Yes it is.....trying to bottom-out and gut the team to keep payroll to a bare minimum over the years to make the team attractive to sell has left this team a laughing stock. A minor league team playing against big leaguers with hopes of prospering and growing together fast. Sometimes draft picks take 3-4 years to develop; maybe they turn into busts? Hopes of the pitching turning out to be like Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Millwood is a crap-shoot!! Lets hope it works soon!! ***Maddux was traded for (to Atlanta)......Houston is trading away Wandy and Bud Norris type young Vet pitching??? Will they never be 3rd to 5th starter material??
    Wandy is a joke and Bud, although a nice pitcher, is no better than a #4 on most decent teams. They would not be much help to this team in 3-4 years when they are competing for the playoffs. They are better off getting players who will be help at that time.