Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who Replaces Ortiz?

With it increasingly likely that Ortiz misses at least the first two weeks of the season, how do you replace him on the roster? A few possibilities that have been suggested:

• Jackie Bradley. Let Bradley play man LF while Gomes gets into the mix at DH. Takes advantage of the strengths of both but starts the service time clock on the replacement for Ellsbury.
    • Mike Carp. Carp provides a better defensive 1B than any of the current possibilities and some offensive punch (when he makes contact). Napoli would DH and probably get into more games with a delayed start in the field.
    • Lyle Overbay. Similar thoughts to Carp but with less offensive impact. Risk losing Overbay when Ortiz returns and you have to waive him to get him to Pawtucket.
    • Ryan Lavarnway. Like the JBJr possibility, Lavarnway stays up to get into the field play mix, taking the backup catching roll and getting tutored by Ross. Salty serves as DH.

I don't think it will be JBJ

The JBJ choice is lacking compared to the others. JBJ automatically is no worse than the 2nd best fielding OF on the roster, and perhaps #1. With a poor glove like Gomes, and a gimpy RF in Victorino, why wouldn't one of them (or both in turn) be the DH?

JBJ won't break camp with the team unless Ortiz is ruled out until at least the ASG. If so, in order to calm restive fans, they would have to bring JBJ to the team for opening day, and worry about bring him back down later on to make sure they get one extra year of control in the books.

I also believe that Salty could be a part time candidate so Lavarnway could get more time in the field w/o cutting into Ross's time, which he was promised.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

It would be a chance for Brentz if he hadn't ****ing shoot himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    It would be a chance for Brentz if he hadn't ****ing shoot himself.
    slim chance of that happening even before he shot him self.
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The JBJ choice is lacking compared to the others. JBJ automatically is no worse than the 2nd best fielding OF on the roster, and perhaps #1. With a poor glove like Gomes, and a gimpy RF in Victorino, why wouldn't one of them (or both in turn) be the DH?

JBJ won't break camp with the team unless Ortiz is ruled out until at least the ASG. If so, in order to calm restive fans, they would have to bring JBJ to the team for opening day, and worry about bring him back down later on to make sure they get one extra year of control in the books.

I also believe that Salty could be a part time candidate so Lavarnway could get more time in the field w/o cutting into Ross's time, which he was promised.
    I agree 100%
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

Lyle Overbay or Lavarnaway would be my choices.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    Lyle Overbay or Lavarnaway would be my choices.
    Lavarnway can't hit. Seems to have trouble hitting a fastball above 90. Ross could be a better DH candidate but he's catching so unlikely he's going to get the opportunity.

Overbay would required a roster move. Who is likely to get release to make such accommodation?

I say put Nova in left field with Sweeney and have Gomez DH and ya put Napoli there a little bit as while as Saltomachia and let Bradley play everyday at Pawtucket like Middlebrook did last year to start and when he is lighting up the minors and a opening in the outfield is created for him to play everyday and bat leadoff call him up and Lavarnway needs to work on his catching skills to at least be and his offense hasn't impress me so far. Reminds me of Kalish in the fact he was ranked high. I always thaught Redick from when he played here in 2011 was a better outfielder then Kalish but with all our left hand outfielders at the time he was a afterthaught.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Lavarnway can't hit. Seems to have trouble hitting a fastball above 90.
    That's temporary. He can mash FB's. He's got a little loop/hitch in his swing which makes him late right now.

Ross could be a better DH candidate but he's catching so unlikely he's going to get the opportunity.
    Why would you put your best defensive catcher at DH, one that isn't much of a hitter? No.

Overbay would required a roster move. Who is likely to get release to make such accommodation?
    Aceves, Nava, etc.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Where's DMac when you need him?

Darryl
    Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507682257

Keep JBJ down for 20 days so we have club control until '19 and if he's still mashing and Ortiz is still out, call him up but only if he's going to be an everyday player. We should not derail his progress by calling him up to play every other day.

I think we're better off holding JBJ in AAA until mid-season when Ellsbury is away with trade (or hopefully not injury) unless he is pulverizing Pawtucket.

I'll do it

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think we're better off holding JBJ in AAA until mid-season when Ellsbury is away with trade (or hopefully not injury) unless he is pulverizing Pawtucket.
    Why? He is our best hitter right now. We wont loose that year offer service time if we send him down for 20 days sometime in the next 3 years. We need his bat now. We need to get off to a good start

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast