Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Trade deadline

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37

    Trade deadline

    The new collective bargaining agreement has been a great success for the owners. Not only did they get a bigger slice of the pie. They also have been forced to save themselves from themselves, with an extremely punitive tax system. Teams are less willing to go well over the salary cap for star players, let alone second tier players. There were no blockbusters today at the trade deadline. Teams are unwilling to part with young talent for guys like Josh Smith or Paul Milsap(unless your the Kings ). Ultimately, with no blockbusters we still only have five teams who can possibly win the title. The Heat, Clippers, Thunder, Spurs and Pacers are rejoicing that the comp is standing pat. And the owners are seriously lining their pockets while the league is becoming very top heavy.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    4,961
    Yeah, dumb move by the Kings. I hope Crawford is good for the Celtics. I figured Orlando would get more for Redick than Udrih, but I don't know much about Harris or Lamb. Guess they'll finally get rid of Nelson in the off-season? I wish the Lakers would've made a move. Because they didn't, that means more drama until the summer.


    6/15/19...when my wish became a reality.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by jmj365 View Post
    The new collective bargaining agreement has been a great success for the owners. Not only did they get a bigger slice of the pie. They also have been forced to save themselves from themselves, with an extremely punitive tax system. Teams are less willing to go well over the salary cap for star players, let alone second tier players. There were no blockbusters today at the trade deadline. Teams are unwilling to part with young talent for guys like Josh Smith or Paul Milsap(unless your the Kings ). Ultimately, with no blockbusters we still only have five teams who can possibly win the title. The Heat, Clippers, Thunder, Spurs and Pacers are rejoicing that the comp is standing pat. And the owners are seriously lining their pockets while the league is becoming very top heavy.
    You forgot the Bulls (assuming all teams are healthy)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    So you're unhappy that a star like Smith stayed on his team instead of some capped-out team being willing to go further over the cap to trade for him, but you're also upset that only 5 teams can win the title? Do you see why that doesn't really make sense?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    H-Town/The Burgh
    Posts
    14,528
    Oh, a trade deadline thread!!! SWEET!

    Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    So you're unhappy that a star like Smith stayed on his team instead of some capped-out team being willing to go further over the cap to trade for him, but you're also upset that only 5 teams can win the title? Do you see why that doesn't really make sense?
    I don't think Josh Smith is truly a difference-maker. I just miss the time when owners would make bold moves. I am actually more disappointed in the other 4 teams besides the Heat didn't make any moves. Those four teams, as presently constituted, cannot beat the Heat in my estimation. The Spurs stood pat instead of going after Al Jefferson. Could the Pacers gotten anything for Danny Granger? I don't know. I hope that further explains my position.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jmj365 View Post
    I don't think Josh Smith is truly a difference-maker. I just miss the time when owners would make bold moves. I am actually more disappointed in the other 4 teams besides the Heat didn't make any moves. Those four teams, as presently constituted, cannot beat the Heat in my estimation. The Spurs stood pat instead of going after Al Jefferson. Could the Pacers gotten anything for Danny Granger? I don't know. I hope that further explains my position.
    Your estimation doesn't matter. Spurs could totally beat the Heat in the playoffs as well as other good teams.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by drose View Post
    You forgot the Bulls (assuming all teams are healthy)
    I don't think the Bulls can score enough points to be true contenders. They couldn't beat the Heat when Rose was healthy and the Heat weren't NBA champs. Reggie Rose conspicuously left out Boozer when naming the Bulls great players today. I think that is telling in terms of how D. Rose may view Boozer. A stretch, but Boozer and Rose have never really meshed in Chicago. This Bulls team is worse than the '10-'11 Bulls and the Heat are better than the '10-'11 Heat team that beat the Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals. Sorry, not this year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Your estimation doesn't matter. Spurs could totally beat the Heat in the playoffs as well as other good teams.
    Wow. Then why even comment if it doesn't matter. Very disrespectful. The Spurs haven't won a title in 5 years. These present Spurs are very similar to the Patriots. A great reg. season team. I truly enjoy the Spurs. They are one of my favorite teams to watch. I just think the time has passed for their big three. I think LBJ is on a mission and will be tough to beat. I don't think the Spurs are built to win 16 postseason games.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jmj365 View Post
    Wow. Then why even comment if it doesn't matter. Very disrespectful. The Spurs haven't won a title in 5 years. These present Spurs are very similar to the Patriots. A great reg. season team. I truly enjoy the Spurs. They are one of my favorite teams to watch. I just think the time has passed for their big three. I think LBJ is on a mission and will be tough to beat. I don't think the Spurs are built to win 16 postseason games.
    2011 Mavericks. Yes, a big team gives trouble to the Heat especially when they play zone. Surprise, surprise, plenty of those types of teams are in the league. Heat are worse this year compared to last year and even though they are better than the Pacers, the gap been closed further and an upset is possible. Heat were only a correct foul call last year away from being knocked out of the playoffs by Celtics.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Yeah, dumb move by the Kings. I hope Crawford is good for the Celtics. I figured Orlando would get more for Redick than Udrih, but I don't know much about Harris or Lamb. Guess they'll finally get rid of Nelson in the off-season? I wish the Lakers would've made a move. Because they didn't, that means more drama until the summer.
    I think Jordan Crawford is a perfect fit for Boston. He can't shoot, but he is tough. He will be gritty a compliment to Courtney Lee. I think he could be the starting 2 by the playoffs. Lamb is the shooter from Kentucky at the 2, last yr. I don't really like Harris. Vaguely remember him at Tennessee. Udrih is a good player to back up or even possibly replace Nelson as a short term replacement. Didn't Redick just sign a deal recently? His contract may have prohibited his market. I also think highly of Redick as a shooter. He would've been a nice fit in Chicago. They need shooting with no Korver now. Nelson has been on the decline since Rafer Alston took the Magic to the Finals. Ridiculous. He has almost completely flamed out to me. He really wasn't a PG coming out of college. He loves to shoot too much. I thought that Howard would be a great fit in LA. He has been a disaster. Very conflicted by this situation. I understand hitching your wagon to a top 7 player, when healthy. The problem for Dwight is, with no Dr. Buss, what is this franchise going to look like in the future. Yes, a dramatic and anxious summer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    2011 Mavericks. Yes, a big team gives trouble to the Heat especially when they play zone. Surprise, surprise, plenty of those types of teams are in the league. Heat are worse this year compared to last year and even though they are better than the Pacers, the gap been closed further and an upset is possible. Heat were only a correct foul call last year away from being knocked out of the playoffs by Celtics.
    Did the Spurs get Dirk Nowitzki? I missed that. If they haven't, they're in trouble. I do like Leonard on Lebron. I do not like Duncan on James or Battier. I also like the matchup for the Heat if they face Bonner at the 4. Duncan, Leonard, Jackson, Manu, Parker is an interesting five. I still like Bosh, James, Battier or Allen, Wade and Chalmers over the Spurs. Thanks for playing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,742
    Oh, only Dirk can beat the Heat?

    I am guessing you have not been watching sports for that long. There are four possibilities.

    Flukey ******** gets the Heat eliminated and or Random Variation in outcomes of close games
    Match up mismatch for the Heat.
    They run into a team that maybe better than them at that time.
    They win the championship.

    Heat could very possibly lose in the playoffs and you thinking they can't is pretty short-sighted and tells me you are pretty young.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Oh, only Dirk can beat the Heat?

    I am guessing you have not been watching sports for that long. There are four possibilities.

    Flukey ******** gets the Heat eliminated and or Random Variation in outcomes of close games
    Match up mismatch for the Heat.
    They run into a team that maybe better than them at that time.
    They win the championship.

    Heat could very possibly lose in the playoffs and you thinking they can't is pretty short-sighted and tells me you are pretty young.
    I have forgotten more sports than you will ever know. Believe that. Basketball is a dynasty sport. Heat, Pistons, Spurs, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics and Rockets are the only teams, besides the '84 Sixers and 2011 Mavs, to win the title since 1980. Thats 9 teams in 32 seasons. NINE. Teams don't usually get hot a make a run in the NBA playoffs. This is not the NFL or March Madness. Best of seven series generally brings out the best team. Can the Heat lose? Yes. Any team can lose. I didn't think I needed to spell that out for you Guppy. I'm making a prediction. I also just gave you a history lesson. I won't even get into great players carrying those nine teams and hitting their primes during those dynastic runs. That would be like feeding a steak to a baby.
    Class dismissed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,742
    Nah, you are new at this. I can tell.

    Best team in the NBA only wins it all 53 percent of the time. Heat have lower odds because they aren't statistically the best team in the NBA, nor were they last year or the year before that. But they still have high odds because they play in the East where they are the only elite team in the SRS.

    Saying the Spurs are only a regular season team is pretty dumb, by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •