Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And this myth of cap issues and us having to buy people out is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    And this myth of cap issues and us having to buy people out is getting old.
    First... Thanks for the links..

As for us having Cap issues.. I agree. I don't think they will have a cap issue at all.. I was simply saying that he isn't producing like a 7.5 mil per year player.. granted he is one of the better offensive players on our team.. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for next year at all.. Just throwing it out there.. Especially if they are in a spot where they think Coyle or Larson or Zucker or maybe Dumba or really any of they young guys are ready to step up full time and need more than 3rd or 4th line minutes.. We are fairly tight for roster space.. Personally i'd rather see us buy out Seto than heater.. (Again.. i'm not saying we should just if we HAD to buy out one.. Seto isn't producing as much as heater) I'd rather trade seto than buy him out.. And for the right price there have to be takers out there for a young former first rounder with fiarly high upside.

So in short.. No cap issues.. It just opens up more options if we wanted an extra 7.5 mill under the cap for next year.. If not.. You move him to the 2nd line and away you go.. he is then likely gone the following year anyways..

Yes Heatley will be gone once his contract is up unless he wants to resign for less then half his current hit and become the next Todd Bertuzzi. We have big contracts expiring this year and young guys who can step up and fill in those contracts. I still would be ok with trading Seto but he has been racking up the points lately and playing really really well. We have a good core and we have star players, next year we just need to maybe get Backstrom back on a discount and add a vet top 4 D and were good imo.

Wild sign Brett Clark.

Russo received a text while on with PA earlier saying the Wild will trade someone today. Cullen? PMB?

Quote Originally Posted by thechom80 View Post
    Russo received a text while on with PA earlier saying the Wild will trade someone today. Cullen? PMB?
    Gotta be PMB. He is the odd man out now, and unlike Granlund, there is no benefit of putting him in Houston.

lol, the trade was Chay Genoway for a 7th round pick...exciting!

If it were PMB, what kinda value does he have? Might have to package him with someone else to get any real return.

nowhere else really to put this, so this thread it is.

wow...The Minnesota Gopher Women's hockey team wins their 49th straight game tonight (last night), and wins the national championship. What a feat. They went undefeated on the season...that is unbelievable, especially in a sport like hockey, where you can outplay a team, and still lose when you run in to a hot goalie.

Would you guys take a chance on Jaromir Jagr? Heard hes available. Could be a solid veteran addition for playoffs.

Anybody ever play EA Sports games? In particular, franchise or GM mode? I feel like I want to fast forward the Wild 5 years to where players like Brodin, Coyle and Granlund are 90's overall.

Haha yes I do. I just started a new franchise with the trades. I also tone down/boost up players that they dont have and add in college players.

So here is my write up for next year (think this is the most appropriate place to put this) it will be a long one but a good one now that the deadline is over!

My projected lines:
    Parise-Koivu-Pominville
    Granlund-Coyle-Setoguchi
    FA-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
    Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

First notable is Bouchard is gone. Its time and we have the prospects to replace him and dont have the cap room to sign him. He is playing well and will get a good contract somewhere.

Alright I think out of necessity we have to buy out Heatley. We have 9m in cap room (which I will get more into later) and his cap hit is really going to open up some room for us. As amazing as Cullen is playing he will need to take a pay cut to stay and with the season he is having I doubt that happens.

Clutterbuck is going to cost a hefty raise so we have a couple options with him being an RFA. Package him with lets say Scandella to move back into the first round. A package like this could get us in the early 20's range. If Heatley is bought out then I think Clutterbuck is kept with a cap hit around 3.5-4m.

Granlund takes Heatleys spot on the 2nd line wing. He played better and better the more games he got and is doing just fine down in Houston. He just needs a season to adjust because he is a smaller player. But I think next year with a full summer here to train and no lock out he will bulk up and be ready.

We need a 3rd line LF (unless we keep Cullen). Is this Zuckers spot? Or does Zucker slide into the second line and Granlund moves to center? But then what happens to Coyle. This spot really is a wrench.

I really think it comes down to keeping Heatley or Clutterbuck. And with our new scoring depth with Pom I just dont think we need Heatley.

Now to the D:
    Suter-Brodin
    Gilbert-Spurgeon
    Stoner-Falk/Prosser

Spurgeon is an RFA and playing well and putting up points like we all expected. I think he gets resigned but he will command a raise. My guess is in the 2-3m per range. We can afford that but barely.

Falk I think we sign to a cheap contract to be that 6-7D while he continues to develop. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall I like our D. I would like one more vet for the top 4 but really then who do you kick out? I say we let the kids run with it as long as they keep doing well this season.

Goalies:
    Backstrom
    Harding
    Kuemper

This is where is gets reaaaaaly interesting. Do we keep Backy? He will cost minimum 5m so idk if we can afford him. I would like to keep him another season or two for a 7-8m (3.5 per?) contract would be great. He can mentor Kuemper/Gustafson.

Harding I dont know. It would be a shame to buy him out because of his condition. But its a business and if he cant perform and play then I think its time to move on and buy him out. This would also free up cap space to sign Cullen/Clutter/Spurg.

Kuemper I think needs a full AHL season before he is a full time backup, at least thats what I would like to see.

Draft:

We traded our first yes, but I follow prospect all year round more then probably the NHL. I am going to make an educated guess on who we can get at our 2nd round pick (im going to assume its 54 just for the sake of it).

My three top options
    1) Jacob De La Rosa: Good 200 ft center/winger who can play with some grit a long with offensive flair. Its a stretch that he will fall this far but Euro's have been dropping the last couple of years. He is big and can handle the puck well and isnt afraid of contact.
    2) Tom Vanelli: Think Matt Dumba light but bigger. He is aggressive in all three zone especially offensively. But he also is gritty and physical in his own end. Also a Minnesota product and we all know how much we all love the home grown players
    3) Oliver Bjorkstrand: Nothing flashy RW. He is just a straight playmaker and can make things happen when he has the puck. He has good IQ on both ends of the ends and is a good forechecker. His skating needs to be worked on but he has good hands that would make him a skillful 3rd line RW in the future.

So here ya go. Those are my thoughts.

son of a *****, that is a long write up, but I know your thoughts are worth it. If it was someone else, I may overlook that post, but since it is you, I know I have to read it (In the past you have wondered if my praise for you has been sarcastic or not, it is not sarcastic).

K, read it. Not sure why you have Coyle and Granlund on the same line, with Coyle being the center. I think those two could end up on the same line, but I think it would make more sense to have Granlund as the center. I do not think we buy Heatley out, as he will be in the final year of his contract, thus making him valuable as a contract coming off the books going into next offseason, or as trade bait for a team looking for some scoring power without having a lot to invest in a half year rental. Clutterbuck has been a fan favorite since entering the league, but I think he is overrated. I love his energy, but on an ideal team, he is a 3rd line checking forward, not worth the contract he will likely be asking for. I have thought for the last two seasons that Backstrom is expendable, but no longer think that. Finding a replacement for a goalie that is one of the top 12 goalies in the league will be hard to do, so I think we resign him for about 4.5 mill, on a two year contract. I see us attempting to trade Heatley, Clutterbuck and Scandella during the draft.

Here is a lineup of players I feel confident will be on the team next season.

Parise/Koivu/Pominville
    Coyle/Granlund/Seto
    ???/???/Zucker
    Rupp/Konopka/???

Suter/Brodin
    ???/???
    ???/???

Also Pidg, make the jump from being a Detroit fan, to a Wild fan. Being and MN fan has the bigger pay off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast