Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Oklahoma City Thunder is NOT a small market team

I'm tired of hearing numerous websites and people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team. Many people get the city and team confused. The city of Oklahoma is a small market but that does not mean Oklahoma City Thunder is a small market team. When one thinks of a small market, they think of teams that struggle to fill arenas, make money, and pay players. A team like the Bucks fit that description, and there the numbers back it up.

Bucks are dead last in team value at 312 Million and there average attendance is 14,064 per game which ranks 27th in the NBA.

Oklahoma City Thunder ranks top 12 in team value, and attendance: $475 Million team value and 18,203 people per game. In addition there market is top 10 in the whole entire league, currently worth $166 M. In reality Oklahoma City Thunder has a market worth more then 66% of the NBA.

Now ask yourself how can people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team...

Oklahoma City is a small market team. You answered it yourself by saying Oklahoma City is a small market...
    Conductor of the Zion Wall

i dont think filling up arenas has anything to do with being a small market..

There team value worth is $475M, top 12 in the league, how could they possible be a small market team
    if they generate those earnings.

uh, it is a small market dude. Just because they have absolutely maxed out their earning potential to climb into a respectable position doesn't mean they aren't small market.

Put it this way. If the Thunder sucked, those earnings would slash in half. The Knicks sucked for a decade, and made the same money they make now. THAT my friend, is a large market.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicReason View Post
    There team value worth is $475M, top 12 in the league, how could they possible be a small market team
    if they generate those earnings.
    Because they have maximized their earnings, which is how a small market team can be in the top half of earners, by having a championship caliber roster. All those extra playoff games, posters, t-shirts, etc, hit that bottom line that most small market teams never see.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I see your point Hawk eye, but in 2013 theres no way the thunder can be considered a small market. I`m not saying that they are a large market, but they definitely are not small. I understand what your saying, there success is the reason why they have maximized there earnings. Regardless there market as of today in 2013 is larger then 66% of the NBA.

I see your point Hawk eye, but in 2013 theres no way the thunder can be considered a small market. I`m not saying that they are a large market, but they definitely are not small. I understand what your saying, there success is the reason why they have maximized there earnings. Regardless there market as of today in 2013 is larger then 66% of the NBA.
    They are making money as a moderate sized market, but their financials are skewed. They were awesome the moment they relocated. In the next 20 years, as their team regresses, the numbers will show over time, they are a small market team. They are simply maximizing all earning potential right now. Take away their success, and those earnings are slashed dude.

hell, I am interested to see what the new team is Seattle does to the Thunder's merchandise sales, so many Seattle fans are Thunder fans.

I'm tired of hearing numerous websites and people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team. Many people get the city and team confused. The city of Oklahoma is a small market but that does not mean Oklahoma City Thunder is a small market team. When one thinks of a small market, they think of teams that struggle to fill arenas, make money, and pay players. A team like the Bucks fit that description, and there the numbers back it up.

Bucks are dead last in team value at 312 Million and there average attendance is 14,064 per game which ranks 27th in the NBA.

Oklahoma City Thunder ranks top 12 in team value, and attendance: $475 Million team value and 18,203 people per game. In addition there market is top 10 in the whole entire league, currently worth $166 M. In reality Oklahoma City Thunder has a market worth more then 66% of the NBA.

Now ask yourself how can people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team...
    It's simple, they play in a small market. That's what defines a small market team. They may not have to operate like one, but that's only because they are so well managed. It doesn't change the fact that they play in a small market.
    POOP

1 you are a small market.

2 if okc hadnt Stolen the team from seattle in a nightlite robbery from seatle now sacrmaneto fans wouldnt have to lose their team.

3 the moment durant walks/is traded/retirs and the team is not contending you will realize HOW much of a small market okc is, and will eventually lose the team.
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    hell, I am interested to see what the new team is Seattle does to the Thunder's merchandise sales, so many Seattle fans are Thunder fans.
    The Thunder is still their team in their minds. Plus the Thunder are so much better than the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Hoops member, 2009
    If your team picks him in the top 10, the GM should be fired. Every year there are comparable talents to Steph who go undrafted. He is not worth a first round pick, let alone a lottery pick.

I agree Hawk Eye it is going to be interesting what Seattle does, but regardless for the next couple of years. I would say 5-10 years. OKC will have a top market value. As long as there winning and can retain stars like Westbrook and Durant there market would not be exposed. Similar to Lebron in Cleveland, a small market team, but when Lebron was there, there market was not small. I'm thinking outside the box here.

They are a small market team

It's just because they have a superstar in Durant and another in Westbrook that they make money/bring in fans etc...

They could never compete financially with the Knicks/Lakers and even Boston.

I agree Hawk Eye it is going to be interesting what Seattle does, but regardless for the next couple of years. I would say 5-10 years. OKC will have a top market value. As long as there winning and can retain stars like Westbrook and Durant there market would not be exposed. Similar to Lebron in Cleveland, a small market team, but when Lebron was there, there market was not small. I'm thinking outside the box here.

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Hoops member, 2009
    If your team picks him in the top 10, the GM should be fired. Every year there are comparable talents to Steph who go undrafted. He is not worth a first round pick, let alone a lottery pick.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast