Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Oh trust me ive been enjoying watching this draft class. I have a really big feeling if Tom Vanelli is available at our pick we are taking him. I would like to get Tyler Hill though. Hill could be there in the second round for us , he is a huge risk/reward pick.

Rantaa is out of the picture. He signed with Chicago.

Yep its down to Backstrom which im pretty confident we will only sign him if its to terms of our liking or Smith really. Or else take a risk and trade for....I dont know.

Scandella was signed to a two year contract extension. I fully expect him to be up and a regular this year.

Good To Hear, I Am Still Dumbfounded On Why They Took So Long To Keep Him In The NHL
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 06-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.

I read a theory somewhere that made sense but honestly forgot why...so yes I am confused as well.

Bad news Heatley can't be bought out unless he is cleared by July 5th (unlikely). The only other way we could buy him out is if we let one of our RFA's go to arbitration. We will then have another period in August to use our buy out and he could be cleared by then. The only problem with that is most of the UFAs that could make a difference will be signed already and there is a chance Heatley is not cleared by then. It sounds like Gilbert will be bought out but as bad as he was he is still a serviceable NHL D. This leaves us with again a huge question mark on our back end the worst part of our team last year outside of Suter-Brodin.

Detroit needs to dump a D or 2 (thy have 9 under 1 way contracts next season) I say we ship a late draft pick to get Coliacavo. He was injured most of the season (no surprise there he is one of the most injury prone players) but looked very good in the playoffs and has a cheap contract with one year left. I don't expect Dumba to be ready for next season. Lots of rumblings for a Clutterbuck for Demers trade (which I am absolutely in love with the idea) but he is also and RFA we would have to pay 2-3m per. He is under utilized in SJ but has a #3 PP upside. Also sounds like Brodziak may be on the move for a cheaper 3c. And Seto rumors are running wild again about flipping him for a good young D. I wonder what we would have to add to move him for Shattenkirk, but again Shattenkirk is a RFA and would cost 4-5m.

Purple it's probably only going to be me and you this off season so if you want to know anything bout this draft or prospects let me know (I'm still the same prospect obsessed guy the Detroit forum loves) ill also keep you up to date on any rumors I hear.

Someone said we should offer Granlund+Spurgeon+future first for Vanek. Not only so we not have the cap space or the place for him in our top six with still having Parise,Pominville,Seto,Heatley,Coyle,Zucker as wingers we should not trade away our best prospect in years for a rental UFA. Remember Vanek was considered a buy out candidate for his bad play previous seasons until this year. The reasoning was that Granlund had a poor year but come on he is still a top prospect in the league just needs time to adjust.

OKOK.. I hate for you two to be left alone that long...

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I read a theory somewhere that made sense but honestly forgot why...so yes I am confused as well.

Bad news Heatley can't be bought out unless he is cleared by July 5th (unlikely). The only other way we could buy him out is if we let one of our RFA's go to arbitration. We will then have another period in August to use our buy out and he could be cleared by then. The only problem with that is most of the UFAs that could make a difference will be signed already and there is a chance Heatley is not cleared by then. It sounds like Gilbert will be bought out but as bad as he was he is still a serviceable NHL D. This leaves us with again a huge question mark on our back end the worst part of our team last year outside of Suter-Brodin.

Detroit needs to dump a D or 2 (thy have 9 under 1 way contracts next season) I say we ship a late draft pick to get Coliacavo. He was injured most of the season (no surprise there he is one of the most injury prone players) but looked very good in the playoffs and has a cheap contract with one year left. I don't expect Dumba to be ready for next season. Lots of rumblings for a Clutterbuck for Demers trade (which I am absolutely in love with the idea) but he is also and RFA we would have to pay 2-3m per. He is under utilized in SJ but has a #3 PP upside. Also sounds like Brodziak may be on the move for a cheaper 3c. And Seto rumors are running wild again about flipping him for a good young D. I wonder what we would have to add to move him for Shattenkirk, but again Shattenkirk is a RFA and would cost 4-5m.

Purple it's probably only going to be me and you this off season so if you want to know anything bout this draft or prospects let me know (I'm still the same prospect obsessed guy the Detroit forum loves) ill also keep you up to date on any rumors I hear.

Someone said we should offer Granlund+Spurgeon+future first for Vanek. Not only so we not have the cap space or the place for him in our top six with still having Parise,Pominville,Seto,Heatley,Coyle,Zucker as wingers we should not trade away our best prospect in years for a rental UFA. Remember Vanek was considered a buy out candidate for his bad play previous seasons until this year. The reasoning was that Granlund had a poor year but come on he is still a top prospect in the league just needs time to adjust.
    Lets start with Vanek and the above trade proposal. I'd love to have a differing opinion just because it would lead to more conversation.. BUT I think this would be an aweful trade.. Seems you are on board with that.

I'm all for a buyout of Gilbert. Unless he has some trade value.. I'd REALLY like to see them trade him and get a pick or 2 or maybe just a bag of pucks for in return though.. Thinking about giving up Shultz (A SOLID D first guy) for Gilbert who we used as Suter bait then cutting him and getting nothing but another year of paying some of his salary sounds like we got the short end of that trade for sure!! Just one more thing for the "Oh my god why did we trade nick leddy, Fletcher is the worst GM in the world" fans to talk about I guess.

I'm on the fence on Seto.. I'd still like to see us trade him for something.. I like the solid young D or D prospect idea.. I'd even consider trading him for a pick or 2.. maybe even a year or 2 out.. We need some cap space, but Seto has upside.. he shows flashes and when he's on this team wins regularly.

As for Heater.. While the team could use some cap space.. I like to think that Fletcher has other ways of improving the team while not cutting Heater and paying him to not play.. Afterall he is only makeing 5 millionish this year (though his cap hit is 7.5) So in that regard he is a bargain.. There are much worse players in the NHL making 5 mill per season.. And the PP seemed to crap the bed last year that much more when he went out. I'm indifferent on him really. I'd like the cap space so long as we use it wisely. If they keep him on for this year and want to let him walk next year that works too.. Thats just 7.5 mill off the cap space for next year's free agent class. And thats the year Seto and Pominville are UFA's also.. so the money could be used to lock one of those guys up (if not traded between now and then).. I have to think for everything they gave up for Pominville they want to try to keep him around too. I just looked on Cap-Geek and there are A TON of really good players coming up for UFA the year heater's contract expires.. Now that I read that.. i'd like to keep him for another year and line us up for a solid UFA run in two years again!!.

Lots of steam lately about Letang on the trade block.. Would the wild consider? If so.. what would they give up? It might help our PP, but may hurt our overall D.. THoughts?

It really is an awful trade proposal. To give up on one of the best Finnish prospects in years because he took a season to get use to North American Ice is just ridiculous. Not to mention we already have an inside track on Vanek for next year with both him and Pomin saying they want to play together again and Pomin wants to remain here in MN.

I dont think with his cap hit he has any value. There are a lot of teams who need to dump some money and Gilbert's contract doesnt help with that. There are going to be some buy outs that I would be all for giving a try on our D. Komasarik is one, he played well at the end of this past year and if we just use him in a 5/6 role I think he would be a nice big edge to our D.

I am very on the fence with Seto. I think he uses his body better then any of our top 6 forwards and he has a great release on his shot. If we could still get someone like Despres for him im fine with trading him like I said if Heatley stays we have a lot of top 6 wingers.

Heater I will be happy if he is around happy if he is gone. It might just come down to a need of us needing to buy him out to pay up a FA goalie. We are supposedly in the trade market for Bernier. I am just afraid what we would have to give up for him.

I would like Letang but I dont think we can afford him. That would make 3 7m contracts and a 6.5m contract and thats a huge portion of our cap hit in 4 players. Also if we were to trade for him since we dont have a first would be something like Zucker+Seto+2 more prospects. Too much.

[QUOTE=pidg88;26483082]It really is an awful trade proposal. To give up on one of the best Finnish prospects in years because he took a season to get use to North American Ice is just ridiculous. Not to mention we already have an inside track on Vanek for next year with both him and Pomin saying they want to play together again and Pomin wants to remain here in MN.

So we give up Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett and a 1st for pominville but Granlund, Spurgeon and a 1st for vanek is ridicluous? I think most people consider Vanek a better player than pominville. I agree, we do have a chance at signing him next offseason but that is no guarantee. And like I said before, If you are so certain vanek wants to play here, why would he be a rental?.. Considering the heatley situation, we def wont have the cap room for vanek this year so I agree we probable have to wait until hes a FA. Your obsession with Granlund is a little weird, I like him too but from ur previous posts you say "he doesnt have a great shot, doesnt skate very well and isnt a scorer".. I am also not ready to give up on him, but I dont think he is going to be the player everyone thought he was going to be. He is now firmly behind Coyle, Zucker and Brodin as best wild prospects. I am really hoping Dumba can make the team next year too, kids going to be a stud.

P.S.- I proposed that trade before we all knew Heatley could not be amnestied, it was under the impression that we COULD and would have the available cap room.. And did you say the sabres were thinking about buying out vanek before last season? Thats preposterous, the guy averages 60+ points a year for the last 8 season and they were going to just buy him out? for no return? Hes a potential 40 goal scorer.
    Last edited by JoeBlessU; 06-21-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Granlund is still our #1 prospect. In front of Coyle and Brodin. Even HF just listed him above those two and while I don't consider HF the best source it's just another showing of how he is our best prospect. Coyle and Brodin are more NHL ready and played fantastic sure, but that doesn't take anything away from how good Granlund can be. Larson was light years behind Granlund offensively and Hackett is easily replaced by our goalie prospect depth. With maybe a top 3 farm system in the NHL a 1st round choice is also expendable especially with our options to move back into the first round. So yes the Pominville trade is an easy one to make really. But to offer a top prospect for a Rental UFA is just ridiculous. I am in no way "obsessed" with Granlund but he is the best prospect this team has had since Gaborik and considering how talent starved we were, and still are at the C position you don't go throwing that away unless your getting a young locked up talent for years. So what Granlund had a **** first year, a lot of Euro's do it doesn't mean you unload them or they are a bust. And your absolutely right I said that about Granlund he does not have a top end speed, his shot is weak, he is small and lacks defensive acumen. But he is a playmaker first second and third always will be. That's something this team just doesn't have. His play making ability is even better then Koivu's. his offensiveIQ is off the charts. His skating came around this year, and if he adds weight and works on the smaller rink this off season he could be our 2C next year. And if he isn't I still am not worried. And don't say your not willing to give up on him, you already did. You threw him in a trade like he was nothing and said that he was basically a bust in his first year of the NHL as a 20 year old Euro because he had to spend a year in the AHL? Please give me a break.

Dumba also will not be ready next year for the NHL. And yes 60 pts for 7.5 mil cap hit? There are guys who make half that that reach those points and Buffalo is in some cap trouble with guys like Miller, Leino, Pominville, Vanek and Myers were on the payroll. They also have lots of young RFA's to pay.
    Last edited by pidg88; 06-21-2013 at 05:29 PM.

And the Vanek better then Pominville debate is a very very close debate. It really would depend on play style of the team and what type of player you are looking for. I would rather have Pominville personally on most teams first before Vanek. Although for the Wild I would of also loved to have Vanek as a shooter for Parise and Koivu. But that really comes down to preference.

And my last question is what do you think everyone viewed him as? Yes media hyped him up but I have always thought and said he will be a high end 2C or an average 1C I've never bought into him being him being a superstar like some. Potential is there but I think his size will force him to the wing eventually where he is a 60-70 pt playmaker with a 20-40 25-40 type seasons.

ya I think he will have to make the move to wing as I don't know if he has the size or defensive game to be a successful center

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    And my last question is what do you think everyone viewed him as? Yes media hyped him up but I have always thought and said he will be a high end 2C or an average 1C I've never bought into him being him being a superstar like some. Potential is there but I think his size will force him to the wing eventually where he is a 60-70 pt playmaker with a 20-40 25-40 type seasons.
    I pictured him as a little bit more of a goal scorer than what he showed last year, I am not going to say he is what we saw, but when you hear #1 prospect in any sport, you think of a game changer, a point a night guy. I think he did get overhyped a bit as well, probably because of that insane lacrosse style goal he scored in the IIHF...I agree, a good 2nd line center is probably his ceiling considering his size and defensive deficiencies. Personally, I still think Jason Zucker and Charlie Coyle are going to be better offensive contributors and overall players, but I guess only time will tell.

The scouting reports have usually always said he had a fairly average shot and release. His game is a distributor and facilitator. I think he could be a PPG season with two goal scoring wingers but that would be at the peak of his game. I don't think he will be a 100+ point player ever. I think Zucker and Coyle are perfect wingers for him. A big body for the dirty areas and a shooter with speed. He still has all star potential though at 21 y/o you just don't trade that for a guy approaching his 30's when we aren't in compete now mode yet. The core of this team is signed for a long time and I expect us to be contenders in 2 years and be threats fora while then. That gives him 2 years to develop before we can tell if he is a bust.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast