Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why doesn't John Stockton get more love?

He is the all time leader in two categories: Steals and assists. No one is even close to his all time assist record and Kidd is about 600 behind him in steals. You always hear about Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Oscar Robinson, and Gary Payton (rightfully so), but never Stockton.

The man has kept himself out the limelight after his career, however he was the best point guard of his era and he helped make Karl Malone what he is...

Thoughts?

no rings /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

Because he wasn't flashy. That dude was dirty as hell but he's a winner.

Standing on Sacred Ground

When the season starts and the blatant homerism subsides, people will realize the 2 biggest flaws on our team. MAYBE??

no rings, and never had a year or two period where he was just unreal. His unreal longevity, and sheer numbers put him way up there, but he is behind Magic for sure, and then stacked in there with a handful of other PG's as far as rankings go.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    no rings, and never had a year or two period where he was just unreal. His unreal longevity, and sheer numbers put him way up there, but he is behind Magic for sure, and then stacked in there with a handful of other PG's as far as rankings go.
    So his 1990 season when he averaged over 17 points, 14 assists, and 3 steals isn't unreal?

Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd never had a season like that.

His defense was vastly underrated and I know people argue that he was dirty but at 6 feet tall that just the way it was for a guy like him in the days of handchecking.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRandy View Post
    So his 1990 season when he averaged over 17 points, 14 assists, and 3 steals isn't unreal?

His defense was vastly underrated and I know people argue that he was dirty but at 6 feet tall that just the way it was for a guy like him in the days of handchecking.
    there were better players that year though is what I am saying. At no point was Stockton considered a top 3-4 player in the league. Trust me, I am a huge Stockton fan, and I do think he gets overlooked, but its not like true fans don't appreciate him. He simply wasn't polarizing, not flashy, played in a market with no media, and fell victim to all of that, on top of never winning a chip.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I think CP3's 08-09' season rivals Stockton's 89-90' season btw. Better in fact..

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ulch01&y2=2009

Point Guards. Especially those in the older eras just didn't impact the game like bigs and wings. That was the mailman's team and everyone knew it.

He never one a ring, played 2nd fiddle to Karl Malone, but mostly because He is not around the game. I remember giving some Lessons to Dwill early on, but he really needs to Coach or be a GM or something.

4 Reasons:
    Never won a championship
    Not very good for a highlight reel
    Never the best player on his team
    Played in Salt Lake City

You change any one of those factors and he'd be a lot more well known (can you imagine if Stockton had played for the Lakers?), but all of those things hurt his popularity. The guy is practically worshiped in Utah, though.
    Last edited by Rylz; 01-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    Point Guards. Especially those in the older eras just didn't impact the game like bigs and wings. That was the mailman's team and everyone knew it.
    The Magic Man
    New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRandy View Post

CP3 had a year on the Hornets where he averaged 23 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Hoops member, 2009
    If your team picks him in the top 10, the GM should be fired. Every year there are comparable talents to Steph who go undrafted. He is not worth a first round pick, let alone a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph aka Jman View Post
    The Magic Man
    Really the only exception.

I don't care how you get it done or where you play. He is one of the best to ever play the game. He deserves more love and respect. Tim Duncan will be known as the best PF ever and he is not flashy. Comparing him to Magic is unrealistic. Magic played the PG position and was physically gifted but he could have played any position. Put Magic in a 6 foot body frame to be fair to rank him with point guards. Magic and Lebron are better comparisons.

Don't know why?

I have the deepest respect for John Stockton. He played his last game in Arco Arena, they year we finally advanced against the Jazz. Arco Arena sent him out gloriously for an opposing arena. We gave him an extraordinary ovation, and respected the hell out of him. That was the 1st hump in the Sac Kings playoff spree, and Stockton, Malone, Hornacek were vicious.

Definitely one of my favorite NBA PG's...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast