Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Defensive Player of Year? (ESPN's Take)

5 panelists had 5 different answers - all 5 were centers. None were Dwight Howard:

Haberstroh: Tim Duncan. Could also go with Joakim Noah here, but Duncan is somehow averaging 2.6 blocks per game at age 36 while anchoring the Spurs' seventh-ranked defense. Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler don't play for above-average defensive teams, so it's hard to justify their vote so far. Tony Allen, LeBron James and Serge Ibaka also have a case, but Duncan's my pick.

Levy: Roy Hibbert. His offense has been bad, like Derrick Martin-bad, but the Pacers are above .500 in large part because of Hibbert's interior defense. The Pacers have the second-most efficient defense in the league and are holding opponents to 59.8 percent shooting at the rim. Now if Hibbert could just get a hook shot to drop.

Nowell: Tyson Chandler. While some of the usual stalwarts are not submitting seasons quite up to the honor, Chandler remains as steady an anchor as ever. While much of his improvement has come on the offensive end of the floor, this guy is captaining a defense whose other components are either 50 years old or Carmelo Anthony.

Strauss: Marc Gasol. Tony Allen gets much of the Internet love, but Gasol is the defensive foundation in Memphis. The nimble 7-foot Spaniard does much to allow the Grizzlies' aggressive pressure defense. With Marc backing up feisty guards, the blue bear has the No. 1-ranked defense so far.

Young: Noah. He's a one-man wrecking crew. With his energy, intensity and effort, Noah is involved on every possession, contesting shots, blocking others and grabbing rebounds. The Bulls are firmly planted near the top of the league again in defensive efficiency, and while Tom Thibodeau's system gets a lot of the credit, Noah's actually on the floor making it happen.
    Who ya got?
    I survived Stephon Marbury's inability
    Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson era
    I survived them all leaving, a 12-70 season and not getting the #1 pick
    Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Nets
    I survived Melodrama
    Deron Williams traded here
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare
    I survived Avery & PJC's rotations
    THE Offseason - Success TBD

Really in awe at what the oldies are doing.

Tyson Chandlers been playing some shut down D all year, most efficient guy in the league. I wish the Thunder had him (

Dark-horse candidate: Larry Sanders

Tyson Chandler annoys me sometimes, although he's my favorite knick. he can be very soft in the post.
    My team, my city.

I say Noah. Because I'm a homer when it comes to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    I say Noah. Because I'm a homer when it comes to him.
    Lol. He is a very solid defender though.

heard a stat dunno if true: celtics with KG on the floor best opp FG% without him worst opp FG% of the league.
    Thats says something.

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    I think Noah has been big defensively.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

I'm gonna also homer it up and say Jo, but they all deserve consideration. Noah vs. Chandler tonight.

Jimmy

Omer Asik

Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    Brooklyn isn't smoking noone's *** besides the line at the medicare office
    Sig bet with FriedTofuz or whatever his name is (I'm on my phone so it's too tedious to go find his exact name) that if the Nets lose to the Raptors I will delete my account and if the Raptors lose he will delete his (lol Raptors fans are so cute).

As a Knicks fan I'll say Chandler hasn't played to a level that he would deserve it, so far.

I don't think there's any front runner so far, but I think what Hibbert is doing defensively has been remarkable, and highly unnoticed.

Grizzlies are the number 1 defense in the NBA giving up under 90 points a game(no one else is even close).

Number 1 in steals and force turnovers.

Number 2 in opp FG%.

But I have to give the credit to Tony Allen(especially) and Mike Conley,,,, Marc Gasol has the back.

I just don't know what else Tony Allen has to do to get it he does everything he could possible do yet they always give it to a Center.
    Last edited by Blitzbolt; 12-21-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Nowell: Tyson Chandler. While some of the usual stalwarts are not submitting seasons quite up to the honor, Chandler remains as steady an anchor as ever. While much of his improvement has come on the offensive end of the floor, this guy is captaining a defense whose other components are either 50 years old or Carmelo Anthony.
    ****ing troll

Quote Originally Posted by Nyc4You View Post
    ****ing troll
    Yeah, that guy is clearly a ****. Tyson hasn't even been playing at a DPOY level so far, that guy doesn't even know what's going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast