Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Stones

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    I have an appt tomorrow where I'll find out if they're still there, and what needs to be done. Sometimes they pass on their own but I don't think that has happened to me yet. I'm terrified to imagine what they'd need to do if I can't pass them on my own.

The pain was from it moving from my kidney to my bladder. It was excruciating to where I couldn't stand up. I had no idea what was going on at the time. It felt like you had to go to the bathroom but couldn't, something was crawling around and scractching up your lower organs, and my whole bottom half felt heavy like something was pulling it down. Brutal. They gave me meds, but I haven't taken a pain one today yet. I feel very uncomfortable but nowhere near as bad as I was on Sunday.

If anybody knows they are common in their family, I'd definitely research it to where you give yourself the least chace of getting them. Reading up about it, people compare it to the closest thing a man can experience to childbirth. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

I know drinking alot of water helps, and there's stuff you should lay off of, consume more of.

Didn't they give you a strainer to use? That is how you can tell if you pass it or not. It took me three days and it was just a tiny pebble that I probably wouldn't have seen without a strainer. It's amazing something that small can cause that much pain. I was lucky it was that small though because I didn't even feel it when I passed it.

It's like giving birth. Horrible horrible horrible pain.

I've had 5 kidney stones and I am only 32. Three of them have been two big to pass on my own, so I had to have a lithotripsy procedure. It took about a week to pass all of the pieces. Pissing them out doesn't hurt at all. It's the going through your kidney and ureter that hurt. They say they are more painful than child birth.

Ian. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thechom80 View Post
    It's like giving birth. Horrible horrible horrible pain.
    How would you know?

just thinking about them makes me feel uncomfortable. I've never had them, but I know people who have and they say it's the most painful thing ever.

apparently shingles are also one of the most painful things ever too.

I had kidney kidney stones at age 22.

I was out the previous night partying with some friends and stayed at my best friends house. We of course woke up around 9:30am to watch the morning sunday games and i attempted to pee. Very little came out but i still had that pee feeling. I tried to push and push to make it come out with no luck.

So my first thought was "damn i caught something from some *****" lol

The pain really started to kick in and i began having cold sweats. Now i have a high pain tolerance and this HURT. I stuck it through the first game until v my friend took me to the hospital.

Having to sit there and fill out paperwork and give insurance information while waiting was tortuous. The nurse helping me told me what it probably was but they of course needed to verify. The nurse came back and was somewhat chuckling about it. Then the Dr. came over to explain what was going on and whatnot. Picture this line being said to you in the voice of Apu from the Simpsons...
    "do not worry...it is ONLY kidney stones"

Me: (said with relief) "ohhh, what are kidney stones. What needs to be done, does it hurt?"

Dr: "picture an apple tree...not drinking enough water or intaking too much sugar will cause the tree to dry and drop the apples. Kidney stones are like the apples. Everyone has kidney stones but they don't always fall. It is not painful...it is like the male equivalent of giving birth (laugh..walks away.)"

I was only in the hospital for a day and had to pee in a strainer until the stones came out. I did almost pass out while passing them.

Seriously...worst pain of my life...and i wanted to punch that ***** for chuckling lol

After talking with the Dr afterwards he said alcohol and soda and sugar drinks play a major factor.

BEWARE of kidney stones!
    TWINSIES!!

I've had kidney stones four times and I'm 24. On one occasion I passed out from the pain in a car on the way to the hospital. They're pretty damn excruciating.

I've read, and I've never had this verified by anyone in a medical field, that occasionally drinking small amounts of pure unfiltered lemon juice helps prevent them. I assume it's the high concentration of citric acid that would theoretically make that effective. I haven't tried it so I have no idea if it works.

They are terrible... feels like you are being harpooned from the inside out.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = Rebuild Mode! Love my fellow Faithful
    Warriors = 2015 & 2017 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    A's = The young talent is here!
    WINNING!

Will they hurt you if you don't go to the doctor will they like make you bleed really bad or non stop or will it just hurt a lot until you pass it

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    They are terrible... feels like you are being harpooned from the inside out.
    Very slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Will they hurt you if you don't go to the doctor will they like make you bleed really bad or non stop or will it just hurt a lot until you pass it
    In my experience, they hurt whether you go to the doctor or not. The last time I had them, I was given a shot of morphine and it had minimal impact on the pain. The anti-nausea medicine they gave me made me drowsy, which helped more than any pain meds they could have given me.

What actually helps the most is when they give you fluids intravenously. It helps flush the stone out faster and makes it easier to pass.

I think for stones too big to pass they actually use a laser, yes a laser, to break them up to a passable size.

This thread makes me cringe. I would hate to get kidney stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    How would you know?
    My kidney stone is a toddler now.

Recommended reading: Increased water intake may help reduce the risk of recurrence of kidney stones but more studies are needed
    Kidney stones (also known as calculi) are masses of crystals and protein and are common causes of urinary tract obstruction in adults. For a long time, increased water intake has been the main preventive measure for the disease and its recurrence. In this review only one study was found that looked at the effect of increase water intake on recurrence and time to recurrence. Increased water intake ... more
    A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia.

Kidney stones
    Renal calculi; Nephrolithiasis; Stones - kidney
    Last reviewed: September 16, 2011.

A kidney stone is a solid mass made up of tiny crystals. One or more stones can be in the kidney or ureter at the same time.

See also: Cystinuria

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Kidney stones are common. Some types run in families. They often occur in premature infants.

There are different types of kidney stones. The exact cause depends on the type of stone.

Stones can form when urine contains too much of certain substances. These substances can create small crystals that become stones. The stones take weeks or months to form.

Calcium stones are most common. They are more common in men between age 20 - 30. Calcium can combine with other substances, such as oxalate (the most common substance), phosphate, or carbonate, to form the stone. Oxalate is present in certain foods such as spinach. It's also found in vitamin C supplements. Diseases of the small intestine increase your risk of these stones.

Cystine stones can form in people who have cystinuria. This disorder runs in families and affects both men and women.

Struvite stones are mostly found in women who have a urinary tract infection. These stones can grow very large and can block the kidney, ureter, or bladder.

Uric acid stones are more common in men than in women. They can occur with gout or chemotherapy.

Other substances also can form stones, including the medications, acyclovir, indinavir, and triamterene.

The biggest risk factor for kidney stones is not drinking enough fluids. Kidney stones are more likely to occur if you make less than 1 liter of urine a day. That's slightly more than a quart.

Symptoms

You may not have symptoms until the stones move down the tubes (ureters) through which urine empties into your bladder. When this happens, the stones can block the flow of urine out of the kidneys.

The main symptom is severe pain that starts suddenly and may go away suddenly:

Pain may be felt in the belly area or side of the back

Pain may move to groin area (groin pain) or testicles (testicle pain)

Other symptoms can include:

Abnormal urine color

Blood in the urine

Chills

Fever

Nausea

Vomiting

Signs and tests

The health care provider will perform a physical exam. The belly area (abdomen) or back might feel sore.

Tests that may be done include:

Blood tests to check calcium, phosphorus, uric acid, and electrolyte levels

Kidney function tests

Urinalysis to see crystals and look for red blood cells in urine

Examination of the stone to determine the type

Stones or a blockage can be seen on:

Abdominal CT scan

Abdominal/kidney MRI

Abdominal x-rays

Intravenous pyelogram (IVP)

Kidney ultrasound

Retrograde pyelogram

Treatment

Treatment depends on the type of stone and the severity of your symptoms.

Kidney stones that are small usually pass on their own. When the stone passes, the urine should be strained so the stone can be saved and tested.

Drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water per day to produce a large amount of urine. See also: Kidney stones - self-care

Pain can be severe enough to need narcotic pain relievers. Some people with severe pain from kidney stones need to stay in the hospital. You may need to get fluids through a vein (intravenous).

Depending on the type of stone, your doctor may prescribe medicine to decrease stone formation or help break down and remove the material that is causing the stone. Medications can include:

Allopurinol (for uric acid stones)

Antibiotics (for struvite stones)

Diuretics

Phosphate solutions

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate

Water pills (thiazide diuretics)

Surgery is usually needed if:

The stone is too large to pass on its own

The stone is growing

The stone is blocking urine flow and causing an infection or kidney damage

The pain cannot be controlled

Today, most treatments are much less invasive than in the past.

Extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy is used to remove stones slightly smaller than a half an inch that are located near the kidney or ureter. It uses sound or shock waves to break up stones. Then, the stones leave the body in the urine.

Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is used for large stones in or near the kidney, or when the kidneys or surrounding areas are incorrectly formed. The stone is removed with tube (endoscope) that is inserted into the kidney through a small surgical cut.

Ureteroscopy may be used for stones in the lower urinary tract.

Rarely, open surgery (nephrolithotomy) may be needed if other methods do not work or are not possible.

See also: Kidney stones - what to ask your doctor

Expectations (prognosis)

Kidney stones are painful but usually can be removed from the body without causing permanent damage.

Kidney stones often come back, especially if the cause is not found and treated.

If treatment is significantly delayed, damage to the kidney or other serious complications can occur.

Complications

Decrease or loss of function in the affected kidney

Kidney damage, scarring

Obstruction of the ureter (acute unilateral obstructive uropathy)

Recurrence of stones

Urinary tract infection

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider if you have symptoms of a kidney stone.

Also call if symptoms return, urination becomes painful, urine output decreases, or other new symptoms develop.

Prevention

If you have a history of stones, drink plenty of fluids (6 - 8 glasses of water per day) to produce enough urine. Depending on the type of stone, you might need medications or diet changes to prevent the stones from coming back.
    Death Nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMan View Post
    Good luck. Hope all is well
    Thanks man, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Didn't they give you a strainer to use? That is how you can tell if you pass it or not. It took me three days and it was just a tiny pebble that I probably wouldn't have seen without a strainer. It's amazing something that small can cause that much pain. I was lucky it was that small though because I didn't even feel it when I passed it.
    Wow this sounds exactly like my current situation. I used the strainer and passed something tiny(like 1 mm) the night after I went to the hospital. I thought there was no way something that small could be the reason for all that pain, but I'm glad I read your post. I go to the doctor today so hopefully there are no stones left.

I had a kidney stone back at the first of August. It was a really bad one. I felt it coming on Friday or Saturday. Sunday night I started hurting so bad while we were at McDonald's. I told my wife we needed to go, but she was talking with some friends and her parents. I sat in the car for about 10 minutes in the worst pain you could imagine. I kept punching my hand and screaming just to alleviate some of the pain.

I finally got out of the car to go back in and starting throwing up right there in the parking lot.

My wife finally came out and we left but she insisted I go to the ER. Even with my insurance, it was over $500 for the scans.

I have had at total of 4 kidney stones since then. I have been taking hydrangea drops in my water and haven't had one since.

I passed all of my kidney stones fairly easily afterwards. Never had to have lasers or surgery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast