Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Does a coach's contract still have to be paid even once fired in the NBA?

Does a coach's contract still have to be paid even once fired in the NBA by a team?

For instance, Lakers firing of Mike Brown, does he still get the rest of the money from the contract he signed?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Yes. It's a contract. If you terminate it, you still have to pay the remaining amount due.

Yup. Terry Porter was officially off the Suns' pay roll last year (If I recall correctly) even though he was fired just a half season into a 3 year deal.

This is why it's extremely rare you'll ever see a coach just resign. If they wait to get fired, they will be paid millions to stay home.

yes.

Free As Seagull.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Everybody else is correct. They get paid regardless. If they didn't, they'd have a hell of a law suit on their hands... coaches would be suing owners left and right.

If the coahc resigns though, he's not eligible to coach for anybody else until the end of his contract, unless the team he quite allows him to. Also, obviously, if the coach resigns, not only can they not sign with another team until the term of the contract is up, but they don't get paid.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Mike Brown is still being paid by the cavs, in addition to his lakers contract.

But the answer is yes, nba head coaches almost always sign guaranteed deals.

Most NBA coaches contracts are guaranteed but they do not always get 100% of what the contract said. Larry Brown got around half of what was owed on his contract after he was fired by the Knicks.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

I was wondering why people were saying Mike Brown was still getting paid by the Cavs and Lakers. Didn't remember his contracts being that long, lol. This was from 7 years ago.

Mike brown has left the chat.

dude was collecting checks from 3 franchises, that's got to be a record

woah. Russian bots? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    woah. Russian bots? lol
    Yeah, guess they got deleted. Was wondering why such a dumb question was being asked and then I saw it was JB. Never was the brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I was wondering why people were saying Mike Brown was still getting paid by the Cavs and Lakers. Didn't remember his contracts being that long, lol. This was from 7 years ago.
    Because some teams negotiate a buy out or terms of the payments for fired coaches. Everything is negotiable. You will sometimes hear the phrase - the team is negotiating terms of the exit for front offices and/or coaches.

It depends on the terms of the contract. If they have a termination clause then it sets the rules.

Mike Brown is still getting paid by the Cavs