Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many Lottery Picks do the Thunder have in the 2013 draft?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Both Toronto and Dallas miss the playoffs: two picks.

12 28.57%
  • One pick: Toronto misses, Dallas makes.

19 45.24%
  • One pick: Dallas misses, Toronto makes.

4 9.52%
  • Zero picks: Both teams make playoffs.

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Harden trade turn into two 2013 lottery picks for the Thunder?

I LOVE The Beard. But I do not think people are looking at the grander scheme of things when discussing the Harden trade.

I agree: In the short-term, the Thunder are worse.

But do me a favor, and look at this: Dismissing K-Mart, the Thunder still got a lottery pick (and one with high potential), PLUS two potential lottery picks next YEAR!

The thunder have received the first round picks from TORONTO and DALLAS in the 2013 draft! I think that we can all agree that Toronto is a lottery pick in an Eastern Conference that is even stronger than last year. But what about Dallas, I am curious who believes that Dallas will also miss the PLayoffs this season and be a lottery pick?

If so, consider this: The Thunder have Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka in place for the long-term. They now have talented rookies in Perry Jones AND Jeremy Lamb. And possibly two potential lottery picks next year...DAAAANG!

Anyways, Wanted to post to see who believes this turns into two lottery picks for the 2013 draft?

i believe the raptors pick would be 10-15 and the dallas pick 17-20

dude. Dallas has collison, OJ mayo, brand, kaman, marion and dirk..

cmon man lol they obv will make the playoffs, thats not the lottery pick, toronto, is a toss up, ill assume that lowry wont make a diff and say that they are a lottery team..

Quote Originally Posted by OKC View Post
    i believe the raptors pick would be 10-15 and the dallas pick 17-20
    yup. my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by dsickich123 View Post
    I LOVE The Beard. But I do not think people are looking at the grander scheme of things when discussing the Harden trade.

I agree: In the short-term, the Thunder are worse.

But do me a favor, and look at this: Dismissing K-Mart, the Thunder still got a lottery pick (and one with high potential), PLUS two potential lottery picks next YEAR!

The thunder have received the first round picks from TORONTO and DALLAS in the 2013 draft! I think that we can all agree that Toronto is a lottery pick in an Eastern Conference that is even stronger than last year. But what about Dallas, I am curious who believes that Dallas will also miss the PLayoffs this season and be a lottery pick?

If so, consider this: The Thunder have Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka in place for the long-term. They now have talented rookies in Perry Jones AND Jeremy Lamb. And possibly two potential lottery picks next year...DAAAANG!

Anyways, Wanted to post to see who believes this turns into two lottery picks for the 2013 draft?
    Let's see....

Dallas Pick

Top 20 protected. IF Dirk didn't have surgery, then OKC would most likely get the pick. However, Dallas is going to be off to a slow start with Dirk out for surgery for a month. They could easily be on the bubble or miss the playoffs entirely depending on how Dirk looks when he comes back. I wouldn't bet on this pick.

Toronto Pick

Top 4 protected AND Bottom 15-30 protected. Ok, so you're betting on the Raptors getting a pick between 5 and 14? Sorry to break it to you, but the Raptors are looking to be a very dangerous team this year. Last year they played very good defense in the second half of the year under Casey.

This year their team has improved, with their most dangerous assets being the triple threat PG combination of Lowry, Calderon AND John Lucas III. With Casey playing double PG lineups, they now have a Very dangerous scoring/playmaking mix and improved 3 point shooting.

Don't sleep on Toronto. I have them as my Dark horse team to sneak into the playoffs.

Charlotte Pick

2nd round pick, unprotected. Okay, OKC will get this one. They *might* be able to snag a good 2nd rounder since I expect Charlotte to be awful, MKG or not.

Summary

Don't expect too much out of the picks. They look better on paper than they probably will end up being. A few nice role players if you're lucky.

Sure, you can bet on a meltdown by Toronto, but I wouldn't.
    And Dallas is a bit of a crapshoot.

Be happy with K-Mart and Lamb. Anything else is a bonus.

What are the protections on the picks?

Edit the guy above me answered my question. Yeah they were just as I thought.

torocan, or anyone else, can you explain the pick protection? I'm not sure how it works

Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Let's see....

Dallas Pick

Top 20 protected. IF Dirk didn't have surgery, then OKC would most likely get the pick. However, Dallas is going to be off to a slow start with Dirk out for surgery for a month. They could easily be on the bubble or miss the playoffs entirely depending on how Dirk looks when he comes back. I wouldn't bet on this pick.

Toronto Pick

Top 4 protected AND Bottom 15-30 protected. Ok, so you're betting on the Raptors getting a pick between 5 and 14? Sorry to break it to you, but the Raptors are looking to be a very dangerous team this year. Last year they played very good defense in the second half of the year under Casey.

This year their team has improved, with their most dangerous assets being the triple threat PG combination of Lowry, Calderon AND John Lucas III. With Casey playing double PG lineups, they now have a Very dangerous scoring/playmaking mix and improved 3 point shooting.

Don't sleep on Toronto. I have them as my Dark horse team to sneak into the playoffs.

Charlotte Pick

2nd round pick, unprotected. Okay, OKC will get this one. They *might* be able to snag a good 2nd rounder since I expect Charlotte to be awful, MKG or not.

Summary

Don't expect too much out of the picks. They look better on paper than they probably will end up being. A few nice role players if you're lucky.

Sure, you can bet on a meltdown by Toronto, but I wouldn't.
    And Dallas is a bit of a crapshoot.

Be happy with K-Mart and Lamb. Anything else is a bonus.
    once again.

so in other words the mavs pick can't be in the lotto and the raptors pick has to be lotto. question is which year do the thunder get the picks

Quote Originally Posted by Faabs89 View Post
    torocan, or anyone else, can you explain the pick protection? I'm not sure how it works
    Pick protection means that if the Pick falls inside of the protected range, then the team retains the pick.

So let's say I give you a top 3 protected pick, if the lottery balls are drawn and I get the #1 pick, I keep it. If I get the #4 pick it goes to you.

In other words, Dallas' pick only helps OKC if Dallas gets picks #21-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_in_Mia_bish View Post
    dude. Dallas has collison, OJ mayo, brand, kaman, marion and dirk..

cmon man lol they obv will make the playoffs, thats not the lottery pick, toronto, is a toss up, ill assume that lowry wont make a diff and say that they are a lottery team..
    Welcome to the west my friend, too many strong teams; Dirk is going to be out for at least a month, Kaman has always had injury issues, OJ is way to inconsistent, Collison's best year was his rookie and the rest of that team is pretty old. Not saying they won't make it, but this team is going to have a tough time down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Pick protection means that if the Pick falls inside of the protected range, then the team retains the pick.

So let's say I give you a top 3 protected pick, if the lottery balls are drawn and I get the #1 pick, I keep it. If I get the #4 pick it goes to you.

In other words, Dallas' pick only helps OKC if Dallas gets picks #21-30.
    Ok so the Raps are protected top 4 and 21-30 so if they fall in the 1-4 or 21-30 range raps still get their pick. But 5-20 goes to OKC? Correct?

The toronto pick is nice in that it gives you a draft pick some time (but that may not be this season), the Dallas pick may never happen and if it does, it is 20+ so it aint amazing. The picks are more a bonus than anything else (the Toronto one being a better bonus). Martin and Lamb for a contract you couldn't afford can be seen as the best option your team had in this situation. You managed to keep a scorer SG, and also added a very nice rookie to a team coming back from the finals
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

Quote Originally Posted by Faabs89 View Post
    Ok so the Raps are protected top 4 and 21-30 so if they fall in the 1-4 or 21-30 range raps still get their pick. But 5-20 goes to OKC? Correct?
    Incorrect.

Raptors are protected 1-4 AND 15-30.
    Dallas is protected 1-20.

The best picks you can get from Toronto are 5-14.
    The best picks you can get off Dallas are 21-30.

ok, thank you sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast