Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Report: James Harden turned down $52m extension from The Thunder (NBC Sports).

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter

The most high-profile player eligible for a contract extension before Oct. 31 is the Thunderís James Harden. Heís a playmaker and scorer whoís been vital to the teamís success, and took home the leagueís Sixth Man of the Year award just last season. But heís looking for a max contract, and the Thunder are looking to avoid luxury tax penalties, so the negotiations drag on.

Thunder GM Sam Presti and Hardenís agent Rob Pelinka have been in recent talks, but the sides are still apart on a deal. According to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the latest offer came in about $8 million short.

Harden, 23, recently turned down a four-year offer worth about $52 million, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Harden, last seasonís Sixth Man of the Year, has been pushing for a maximum contract extension of four years, $60 million.

Nevertheless, the fact the two sides are still negotiating suggests there could be a deal to be made somewhere between the Thunderís latest offer and Hardenís desire for a max contract.

Harden has said he wants to stay with the Thunder, but a player with his talent deserves a max contract, and it appears that he knows it. If no deal is reached by Wednesdayís deadline, Harden will become a restricted free agent on July 1, where heíll almost certainly receive that max offer from someone else. The Thunder will have the right to match, of course, so even if a deal doesnít get done, the possibility that Harden could stay with the team remains.

Kurt Helin broke down the ins and outs of the situation between Harden and the Thunder in greater detail, so give that a read and let us know if you think Harden will indeed be back playing for Oklahoma City for the start of the 2013-14 season.

If OKC is smart, they'll give him the max, amnesty Perkins and do a S&T of Ibaka for good pieces that compliment the big 3 of Harden, Westy and KD.

uh oh. trouble in paradise.

It all depends on who they see as better is it Ibaka or Harden? I'm really high on PJ3.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

yeah, he wants 4 yrs $60 mil

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    WOW!!! That is a lot of money to turn down. Harden better hope he doesn't get injured this season. Over 10 million per season? That is a fair deal. I'd scoop that up in a heart beat.

If I was OKC I'd look into trading Harden for somebody like Klay Thompson. A great shooting guard under a rookie contract, have the Kings throw in a draft pick. I think the Kings would go for that, and OKC would have an affordable replacement who would fit in with the team. Great three point shooter too. Over 40% from behind the arc as a rookie! I'm still mad at Detroit for not picking him up!
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 10-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

I'd argue they don't really need Harden. Ibaka is the better choice, plain and simple, and if Eric Maynor is healthy, I don't see why he can't be used at the one while Westbrook slides into Harden's place. Harden is expendable, especially at $15M a year.
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

he wants that other 8 million. doesn't seem like a huge deal, but in the era of compounded luxury tax, it might cost OKC 16-24 million (after tax) to actually get Harden his additional eight million.

isn't it absolutley classic how these compounded luxury tax regulations created under the new CBA could actually prevent one of the few successful and dominant small market teams from keeping up with the big markets/signing their talent long term??

i just can't get over how ironic that is. compounded luxury tax was created to help the little guy, but in reality all it does is make it harder for them to spend the money necessary to challenge the big markets. The los angeles Lakers just signed a three billion dollar time-warner deal, and we're supposed to pretend that a compounded luxury tax will keep them from spending? please, compounded luxury tax (be it 2 or 3 fold) is childs play for the Lakers. all compounded luxury tax does is keep them untouchable from medium sized markets, otherwise willing to spend the big bucks (like OKC). the problem masquerading as the solution; very similar as to what goes on in american politics.

with that being said, I'm sure they sacrifice their short term bottom lines in order to win a title with this group. if they can win with this team, those fans will be loyal for the rest of time; it's an investment like any other.

James harden to Phoenix

everyone thought okc's window was so big because of their age and now its closing if harden departs

Harden better not sign for anything less then the MAX... What if he signs for a cheaper contract and they just trade him 2 yrs from now ( because things are not working out ).

PAY that tax OKC.

I could be just saying all of this, so Harden ends up on another team, because OKC future with him would negatively impact the HEAT ( but the world would never know ).

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

i think they should just give him his money.

if they don't they could try to flip Westbrook for Kyrie Irving. keep on passing down their max guard talent in exchange for future max talent, still on rookie contracts

call it the revolving door of cheap, young, soon to be dominant talent. saves your future, saves your pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by KB24PG16 View Post
    everyone thought okc's window was so big because of their age and now its closing if harden departs
    based on your hope?

no,harden is fantastic player but as long as they have kd and westbrook,the champ window is open for them

Should pushed for Westbrook+Ibaka for D12 base when they had the chance.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    i think they should just give him his money.

if they don't they could try to flip Westbrook for Kyrie Irving. keep on passing down their max guard talent in exchange for future max talent, still on rookie contracts

call it the revolving door of cheap, young, soon to be dominant talent. saves your future, saves your pocketbook.
    Why would Cleveland take that?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast