Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Greg Monroe: The best player that no one talks about?

I was just making a post in the trade idea forum about Monroe and I looked at the season he put together last year.

He started all 66 games, and was one of the lone bright spots for Detroit last season.

I've known that he was a solid player just from watching some Detroit games, but I never really knew how good he was.

Per36 last season, he put up ~18 points, 11 rebounds, while shooting 52% overall..This was only his second season, and he was 21 years old.

I started comparing him to the other great power forwards around the league, and I came across LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge is commonly viewed as one of the top power forwards in the league. I took a peek at LMA's numbers from his second season in the league and compared them to Monroe's numbers last year:

So, a year younger in his second season, Monroe is better defensively, a better rebounder, a better passer, and a more efficient offensive player than Aldridge was in his second year.

How good could this kid be? Why isn't he getting more recognition for how well he plays? Can he make the same jump Aldridge did?

I heard his defense sucks tho, but yes I will be watching him very closely this year. Kind of hard to prove yourself in year 1 and not getting attention that comes with highlight reel plays. For some reason its easier for us to buy into the potential of a Blake Griffin because of his highlights and market, but its harder for us to notice the silently more productive player.

Monroe is better defensively
    Well, Monroe isn't good defensively. So I don't know if that's true.
    Last edited by rocket; 10-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Lol probably not. His defensive isn't that good
    Hes comparing him to a younger LMA, but I dont remember that guy so I didnt want to touch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I heard his defense sucks tho, but yes I will be watching him very closely this year. Kind of hard to prove yourself in year 1 and not getting attention that comes with highlight reel plays. For some reason its easier for us to buy into the potential of a Blake Griffin because of his highlights and market, but its harder for us to notice the silently more productive player.
    22-12-3.8 as rookie is pretty easy to buy into, though the highlights don't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Ill take Monroe over Blake long term all day. Not the injury risks and he can do more then dunk

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Hes comparing him to a younger LMA, but I dont remember that guy so I didnt want to touch on it.
    Yeah I edited my post. Monroes defense isn't good. But I didn't watch LMA when he was younger either so I can't really comment on who's better defensively in their 2nd season

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbball234 View Post
    Ill take Monroe over Blake long term all day. Not the injury risks and he can do more then dunk
    Lol

As far as the best player no one talks about I'd have to go with Nikola Pekovic but yes I'd agree that Greg Monroe fits into that category as well

Being a rookie-sophomore on a bad team will do that to you. Guy has major potential though.

Free As Seagull.

From everything I've heard hes had a great off-season. Apparently hes has a good mid-range shot now.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Well, Monroe isn't good defensively. So I don't know if that's true.
    Better than Aldridge I'd say, though...Which is all I was alluding to. Aldridge is a pretty poor defender in my eyes.

Monroe is a poor help defender. His lack of athleticism is his main problem. Hes a very solid post-up defender though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Better than Aldridge I'd say, though...Which is all I was alluding to. Aldridge is a pretty poor defender in my eyes.
    meh you could go either way

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Greg Monroe is solid. He's a good player. I believe he was playing center this past season though. I expect if Drummond works out well Monroe may move to PF. Statistically, Monroe is not too bad defensively (got 1.3 steals a game last year, which is pretty good for a front court player, and 0.7 blocks, not bad, but nothing to write home about). I expect his defence to improve, and he's a solid rebounder who may get better at that.

The thing about his scoring is, he's the only real option Detroit had last season, and people weren't throwing double teams at him because, well, let's face it, if they were playing Detroit, chances are they were in the lead. And it's not like Monroe was killing people on offence. He was posting in the mid-teams. Most opposing coaches will be happy to live with the highest scoring player on the opposing team only getting 15 points.

I expect Monroe to quietly play well for another season or so before he is really tested. If Drummond reaches his potential and shows some skill this season and next, it will be hard for Monroe to grow offensively because there will be two socring options for Detroit in the post. If Drummond turns out to be a bust, then Monroe will continue to get more looks on offence, but the team will still be a lottery team, and so he will continue to be overlooked.

I like the kid. He's got a lot of potential. He's certainly a better rebounder than LMA, but LMA has proved to be a versitile scorer and leader, and he was putting up his numbers (until this past season) on a playeroff team in the West, which is something more than a lottery team in the East.

Edit: It's also tricky looking at the productivety of young players on lottery teams. The teams are generally more interested in developing young talent and seeing what young players can do than winning, so guy like Monroe get more involved roles on offense. A good example of this is Lionel Simmons. He was a forward for the King back in the early-mid 90's, and they gave him the ball a lot because they didn't have any other options, and he was posting in the high teens, 17, 18 points a game (though his FG% was low) and pulling in arond 7 or 8 boards, which are numbers that aren't to far off from what LMA was doing his first few season. And the King continued to give him a lot of shots for three more seasons because they didn't manage to pick up too many great draft picks. But by fifth season he was fighting just to get minutes (and the kings at this point are still a lottery team mind you), let alone get shots. He failed to improve his FG% and when his tenure with the Kings was finished, he couldn't even get a job in the NBA. I mean, he was runner up for the ROY award, and at a time when he's supposed to be in his prime, he couldn't even get a roster spot in the NBA.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 10-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast