Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,734

    The True NBA Superstars

    This is a very arbitrary of dictating the "true" NBA superstars, but you have to admit, there is a correlation between people's ability to recognize a firstname and stardom.

    In basketball, growing up as a kid, whenever someone said "Michael", everyone knew that he/she was talking about Jordan.

    Everyone knows Shaquille, Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwight by their first names without even asking their last names.


    What other superstars can get this distinction in basketball? Am I wrong for thinking that this a way of measuring NBA stardom?
    PM for my contact information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyfromNeptune View Post
    This is a very arbitrary of dictating the "true" NBA superstars, but you have to admit, there is a correlation between people's ability to recognize a firstname and stardom.

    In basketball, growing up as a kid, whenever someone said "Michael", everyone knew that he/she was talking about Jordan.

    Everyone knows Shaquille, Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwight by their first names without even asking their last names.


    What other superstars can get this distinction in basketball? Am I wrong for thinking that this a way of measuring NBA stardom?
    Rajon, Serge, Pau, Dirk, Tyson, Demarcus, Tyreke, Lamarcus, Andrea, Mirza, Chase, Caron?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queens,NYC,NY
    Posts
    4,892
    oops you said melo, wheres the popcorn i wanna see this..

    Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    33,882
    I think a lot of it has to with the unique first names you just listed. How many LeBron's, Kobe's, and Carmelo's have you heard of in this world?

    A lot with MJ was because hes pretty much a basketball God, but the whole Nike 'wanna be like Mike' campaign had a lot to do with it.

    You don't say 'Chris' and know your talking about CP3. Its not because hes not a superstar, its more because theres 50+ NBA players named Chris.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Doghouse
    Posts
    12,105
    I think it's a mistake to assume widely-recognized first name = superstardom

    Most of these guys have name that no else has or has had in the league. How many Kobes or Lebrons have there been? How many Carmelos? But Kevin, that's a common name so people might ask McHale or Garnett? That is if they're not a Rockets fan and start talking about Kevin Martin.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8,470
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyfromNeptune View Post
    This is a very arbitrary of dictating the "true" NBA superstars, but you have to admit, there is a correlation between people's ability to recognize a firstname and stardom.

    In basketball, growing up as a kid, whenever someone said "Michael", everyone knew that he/she was talking about Jordan.

    Everyone knows Shaquille, Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwight by their first names without even asking their last names.


    What other superstars can get this distinction in basketball? Am I wrong for thinking that this a way of measuring NBA stardom?
    Yes, you are wrong.
    What do you mean by everyone?
    When someone said said "Michael" it was Michael Jackson throughout the world, not Jordan.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,734
    But I'm not talking about very good players like Dirk or Paul Pierce. I'm talking about the greatest players in our league..Kobe..Dwight..Lebron
    PM for my contact information.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by naps View Post
    Yes, you are wrong.
    What do you mean by everyone?
    When someone said said "Michael" it was Michael Jackson throughout the world, not Jordan.
    In the basketball world it was Jordan.
    PM for my contact information.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyfromNeptune View Post
    But I'm not talking about very good players like Dirk or Paul Pierce. I'm talking about the greatest players in our league..Kobe..Dwight..Lebron
    Dirk belongs in that convo of our "greatest players" in the league.

    He's been hovering in and out of the Top 5 for a while.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Your Anus
    Posts
    1,564
    what does this have to do with being a Superstar? Because someone recognizes you doesn't mean you're a Superstar, it means you're popular.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    C Florida
    Posts
    7,045
    The only superstars in today's game are:

    LeBron
    Durant
    Kobe
    Wade
    healthy Rose

    these are the players that can single-handedly take over the team without any help

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
    The only superstars in today's game are:

    LeBron
    Durant
    Kobe
    healthy Wade
    healthy Rose

    these are the players that can single-handedly take over the team without any help
    Fixed & u can add CP3 & Dwight too

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    STAT CITY
    Posts
    4,367
    Melo a superstar? "ZOMG he's a overrated selfish chucker who only got out of the 1st round once."
    Deal with it


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,027
    ^Yup.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
    The only superstars in today's game are:

    LeBron
    Durant
    Kobe
    Wade
    healthy Rose

    these are the players that can single-handedly take over the team without any help
    hmmmm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •