Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 349 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    ^ it's a handful of games, don't freak out.

It's frustrating, but it'll be okay.

Look at the Cubs, Brewers, Astros, Marlins, Reds and Tigers pens.

They have all been worse than the Cardinals so far.

We'll be okay.

Salas does need to go down, I agree. And we do miss Motte, but we'll be alright. I think Rosnethall should be closing if he is going to be in the pen. Then Boggs can have the 8th, Mujica the 7th and Choate and Scrabble can have the lefties whenever, and Kelly can take the long innings and we can call up someone to take over for Salas that can be the other long man/extra reliever. Doesn't really matter who to me.

It's a good bullpen, and a very small sample size.

Wonder why we as a team are being so inpatient this year?

Our offense is way down this year thus far, and we have the second worst plate discipline in baseball which has a lot to do with it.

We are walking a ridiculous 5.8% of the time this year, last year it was 8.4%

League average is right about 8%

Bigger issue is our complete lack of power so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    ...We did survive several weeks of Ryan Franklin as a closer after all when he was absolutely god awful
    Really? Skip? You had to go there? Ugh, Boggs starts growing a red-goatee, I'll be finding your house and egging it.

It's not to the "Franklin fiasco" yet. I do like the idea of Kelly, but we'll see. Way too many arms in this system to spend outside. Hell, call Wacha up, nobody touched him this spring....just kidding Jeffy.

lol

Our bullpen will be fine. Small sample size and relief pitchers aren't always in prime shape now because of the strange schedules in spring, they can end up pitching in the 4th or 3rd inning vs the 7-8-9 they are used to.

But I do think the early season issues with closer this year are simply a misuse of players, its just that Boggs isn't a very good pitcher it's he's not a good closer, he just doesn't fit the role. Especially because if he needs a so called fire man (someone who can strike out guys if he lets someone on) that guy is already gone (Rosenthal)

We really need Rosenthal in the 8th/9th hybrid style role and Boggs in the 8th

Also, I know we've had the debate before but I still think bringing Mujica back is smart. He's just so good in the 7th inning and it gives the pen stability.

I think we can live without him but I do see any reason to mess with a very good thing

If the BP becomes a defining issue down the stretch we could always use Wacha Flacka Flame as the closer like Waino in 06. Though Rosenthal should be given next crack at the job after Boggs if he doesn't right the ship.

i would also definitely be for bring him back

Whatever happened to Eduardo Sanchez?

he's hurt right now i believe

Yep.

Plus he is resisting to what the coaches teach him, he is basically a Mexican Rasmus who pitches.

He could make it to the club again but don't expect him to be a long term player here. He's injury prone, a walk machine and he refuses to take coaching

Quote Originally Posted by salto View Post
    Really? Skip? You had to go there? Ugh, Boggs starts growing a red-goatee, I'll be finding your house and egging it.

It's not to the "Franklin fiasco" yet. I do like the idea of Kelly, but we'll see. Way too many arms in this system to spend outside. Hell, call Wacha up, nobody touched him this spring....just kidding Jeffy.
    That was Spiezio.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Yep.

Plus he is resisting to what the coaches teach him, he is basically a Mexican Rasmus who pitches.

He could make it to the club again but don't expect him to be a long term player here. He's injury prone, a walk machine and he refuses to take coaching
    From the reports coming out all ST and early season is the Sanchez IS following what the staff is preaching.. Unlucky turn of events to strain a forearm at key moment..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Wonder why we as a team are being so inpatient this year?

Our offense is way down this year thus far, and we have the second worst plate discipline in baseball which has a lot to do with it.

We are walking a ridiculous 5.8% of the time this year, last year it was 8.4%

League average is right about 8%

Bigger issue is our complete lack of power so far.
    It is a weird start.... Only Adams is raking... Small sample of course.... And yet no one is a mess at the plate either... Getting enough production to beat a few good teams so far.. Rotation has been very good.. Waino the best so far.. Lynn and Garcia are the keys IMO.. Health for Garcia and consistency for Lynn..

I dont have a firm idea on the pen... The talent level is much higher then the level of performance so far.. Confidence is low among everyone except Mujica... That guy has been a rock so far... As long as Mo and MM find the right guy for 9th soon they will be fine.. I am assuming Motte is gone for year.. Just easier that way to deal with it.. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best..

Quote Originally Posted by bda28 View Post
    That was Spiezio.
    Spiezio was a better pitcher than Franklin. He had a dyed red imperial goatee, Franklin's was naturally red, and did nothing for his ability to get batters out.

i agree that the talent is in the pen.... but that doesn't mean people will live up to their abilities