Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 340 of 346 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 5189
  1. #5086
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,574
    If we want a good option at third long term to supplement Carpenter, Sheldon Neuse is being promoted in Oakland, and he is blocked everywhere he is good at (RF and 3B)

    We could trade some of our young talent for him (O'Neill, Williams, and a minor league pitcher). A's might want to do that.


    And Neuse could play 3B/LF/RF for us. If Carpenter struggles, he plays third. If Carpenter is good, then he's a 4th outfielder and backup at third. 6 years of control, is a good cover in case Gorman struggles, but can go to the outfield and be a bench bat if Gorman arrives and is good. Doesn't have a ton of value, but we could leverage the O'Neill upside for the stable player.

    Neuse was horrible last year, is 24, and has exploded this year. But he's also playing on a team whose entire team average is .300. He's better than league average, but I dunno if he's that great overall. But the fit could be there.

  2. #5087
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    If we want a good option at third long term to supplement Carpenter, Sheldon Neuse is being promoted in Oakland, and he is blocked everywhere he is good at (RF and 3B)

    We could trade some of our young talent for him (O'Neill, Williams, and a minor league pitcher). A's might want to do that.


    And Neuse could play 3B/LF/RF for us. If Carpenter struggles, he plays third. If Carpenter is good, then he's a 4th outfielder and backup at third. 6 years of control, is a good cover in case Gorman struggles, but can go to the outfield and be a bench bat if Gorman arrives and is good. Doesn't have a ton of value, but we could leverage the O'Neill upside for the stable player.

    Neuse was horrible last year, is 24, and has exploded this year. But he's also playing on a team whose entire team average is .300. He's better than league average, but I dunno if he's that great overall. But the fit could be there.
    Holy hell, are his numbers sustainable?
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  3. #5088
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,574
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Holy hell, are his numbers sustainable?
    Well it's the PCL.

    He's probably a league average bat at the MLB level, or near it.

  4. #5089
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,579
    How about the power though
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  5. #5090
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,574
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    How about the power though
    For Neuse?

    It's the PCL, it's hard to tell if that's park and league caused, or if he's tapping into it.

  6. #5091
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,242
    Consistent numbers in the minors except last year. Went through 3 levels in 2017 (Low A- high A- and AA).

    See if his success transitions to his limited time in Oakland.

    Why is PCL such a hitters league? Fair amount of distance between each teams, granted all of the teams are west of the Mississippi. Its not like its the Texas league where everything is in tighter region.

  7. #5092
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,574
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Consistent numbers in the minors except last year. Went through 3 levels in 2017 (Low A- high A- and AA).

    See if his success transitions to his limited time in Oakland.

    Why is PCL such a hitters league? Fair amount of distance between each teams, granted all of the teams are west of the Mississippi. Its not like its the Texas league where everything is in tighter region.
    They changed the ball this year, and it's flying out of ballparks like hot cakes.

    League broke their league home run record like in July.

  8. #5093
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Holy hell, are his numbers sustainable?

    I like how you view Gorman as nothing more than a trade chip and are seeking out older players over him. Gorman has shown no signs of not making it to the show. maybe he doesnt, maybe he flops when he does get here but hes on schedule to be here at age 21 following the year next year or sometime in 2021 if he doesnt make the team out of camp.

  9. #5094
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    I like how you view Gorman as nothing more than a trade chip and are seeking out older players over him. Gorman has shown no signs of not making it to the show. maybe he doesnt, maybe he flops when he does get here but hes on schedule to be here at age 21 following the year next year or sometime in 2021 if he doesnt make the team out of camp.
    I see him as our best trade chip with a pretty big hole in his swing that can very well be exposed. I could easily be wrong, and that's ok.

    I'll take proven talent over prospect promise any day
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  10. #5095
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I see him as our best trade chip with a pretty big hole in his swing that can very well be exposed. I could easily be wrong, and that's ok.

    I'll take proven talent over prospect promise any day

    ill take a guy with a hole in his swing at 21 with 30-40 hr potential like gallo or smoak over a guy who might pop 20 in a season and hit .260. 3b who hit bombs at that rate dont grow on trees. until the league ends the shift, average as much as it sucks isnt as important as hitting dingers unless you have a roster thats doing it top to bottom. even if they end the shift, these pull power hitters will see a drastic rise in their average. if there was no shift, we still wouldnt be happy with carpenter but he wouldnt nearly be this bad. its still on him to hit the other way. just saying

  11. #5096
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    ill take a guy with a hole in his swing at 21 with 30-40 hr potential like gallo or smoak over a guy who might pop 20 in a season and hit .260. 3b who hit bombs at that rate dont grow on trees. until the league ends the shift, average as much as it sucks isnt as important as hitting dingers unless you have a roster thats doing it top to bottom. even if they end the shift, these pull power hitters will see a drastic rise in their average. if there was no shift, we still wouldnt be happy with carpenter but he wouldnt nearly be this bad. its still on him to hit the other way. just saying
    Different of opinion is all
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  12. #5097
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,668
    what they should really do is resign ozuna, which all indications are they wont.

    sign will smith since the plan is to move carlos back into the rotation, at least it was before hicks went down.

    platoon 3b again for another year if you have to.

    find an option for one to be the opener on road starts when waino is pitching since his splits are absurdly bad. cabrerra or somebody to pitch three innings in these 16 games on the road. waino comes in and gives you hopefully another three to four and maybe you have a chance to steal a few wins. that means a roster spot goes to a guy who at best pitches four times through the rotation. he would be available when one, two and three go but he'd have to be on rest for the fourth starter then start on the road when the fifth spot comes up.

  13. #5098
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,242
    Ozuna says that returning to the Cardinals is his "priority"

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...=desc#comments

  14. #5099
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,309
    Id bring Ozuna back..

  15. #5100
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,574
    For me, it entirely depends on the years.

    1. If we bring him back, we have basically no budget next year for other needs. We are set to have a high payroll next year.

    Current payroll
    15 players making a combined - $147M (includes Leake's $4M)
    Arb player estimates (assuming we only keep Gant and Reyes) - $2.5M
    22 minor league players at $575K - $12.65M
    Totals - $162.15

    Leaving us $17.85M for Ozuna in 2020.

    This has us losing Wainwright, Wacha, Cingrani, Wieters, Rosscup, Leone. Those guys will need to be replaced.

    I feel like for the limited room we have in resources, we are better off letting the young guys play. Because Ozuna is going to need 5+ years and $17-18+M per year. I don't love that situation considering the rest of our roster construction and the depth we have elsewhere.

    I'd offer him the QO, and a 4/$60-72M deal. Maybe $8M signing bonus, and a $5M first year salary, and then $47-59M over the final 3 years.

    But if he takes that, that limits what pitching we can add. It also means Knizner has to be Yadi's backup (though Wieters can probably come back cheaply). That also means Webb is our only other lefty (Cecil).

    I just don't see us fitting him into our budget, not unless we can move some payroll elsewhere off the roster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •