Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 341 of 346 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 5189
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    For me, it entirely depends on the years.

1. If we bring him back, we have basically no budget next year for other needs. We are set to have a high payroll next year.

Current payroll
    15 players making a combined - $147M (includes Leake's $4M)
    Arb player estimates (assuming we only keep Gant and Reyes) - $2.5M
    22 minor league players at $575K - $12.65M
    Totals - $162.15

Leaving us $17.85M for Ozuna in 2020.

This has us losing Wainwright, Wacha, Cingrani, Wieters, Rosscup, Leone. Those guys will need to be replaced.

I feel like for the limited room we have in resources, we are better off letting the young guys play. Because Ozuna is going to need 5+ years and $17-18+M per year. I don't love that situation considering the rest of our roster construction and the depth we have elsewhere.

I'd offer him the QO, and a 4/$60-72M deal. Maybe $8M signing bonus, and a $5M first year salary, and then $47-59M over the final 3 years.

But if he takes that, that limits what pitching we can add. It also means Knizner has to be Yadi's backup (though Wieters can probably come back cheaply). That also means Webb is our only other lefty (Cecil).

I just don't see us fitting him into our budget, not unless we can move some payroll elsewhere off the roster.
    This is why the Molina and Carp extensions were moronic

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Except for the fact that Molina is probably the biggest reason we’re going to win the division this year

For me, it entirely depends on the years.

1. If we bring him back, we have basically no budget next year for other needs. We are set to have a high payroll next year.

Current payroll
    15 players making a combined - $147M (includes Leake's $4M)
    Arb player estimates (assuming we only keep Gant and Reyes) - $2.5M
    22 minor league players at $575K - $12.65M
    Totals - $162.15

Leaving us $17.85M for Ozuna in 2020.

This has us losing Wainwright, Wacha, Cingrani, Wieters, Rosscup, Leone. Those guys will need to be replaced.

I feel like for the limited room we have in resources, we are better off letting the young guys play. Because Ozuna is going to need 5+ years and $17-18+M per year. I don't love that situation considering the rest of our roster construction and the depth we have elsewhere.

I'd offer him the QO, and a 4/$60-72M deal. Maybe $8M signing bonus, and a $5M first year salary, and then $47-59M over the final 3 years.

But if he takes that, that limits what pitching we can add. It also means Knizner has to be Yadi's backup (though Wieters can probably come back cheaply). That also means Webb is our only other lefty (Cecil).

I just don't see us fitting him into our budget, not unless we can move some payroll elsewhere off the roster.
    Find a way to trade Carp..

Fortunately, Molina is done after 20, and Carpenter and Fowler are done after 21.

That's a ton of money to spend. If we did extend Ozuna, and it required a 6/$100M, I wonder if he'd do something like
    20 - $6M
    21 - $10M
    22 - $21M
    23 - $21M
    24 - $21M
    25 - $21M

That would make it a lot easier to absorb him and still be successful.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 09-10-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Except for the fact that Molina is probably the biggest reason we’re going to win the division this year
    How so

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

How so
    We took off when he came back and improved.

We are 20-5 since he returned from injury and has started the game.

He had a .995 ops in the month of August. Also, his return magically coincided with an enormous drop in our rotations ERA

He is definitely one of the reasons but you can’t discount the runs Flaherty and Hudson have had either.. Also Fowler and Wong moving to the top of the lineup has been huge in my opinion..

We took off when he came back and improved.

We are 20-5 since he returned from injury and has started the game.
    Haven't you been saying how hes been worse than Carp and shouldn't be an every day player anymore?

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Haven't you been saying how hes been worse than Carp and shouldn't be an every day player anymore?
    He WAS. He's now up to a 88 wRC+

Since returning from injury he has hit .312/.385/.505 - 135 wRC+ and our pitchers have a 2.76 ERA when he's been catching, and his 1.25 WPA leads the team (minus Flaherty)

And this is during the stretch where we took the division lead.

We are 20-6 (loss last night) and 20-8 overall since he returned 8/13. We went from 2.0 back of the Cubs to ahead by 4.0. He's probably been the biggest reason for this surge.

He WAS. He's now up to a 88 wRC+

Since returning from injury he has hit .312/.385/.505 - 135 wRC+ and our pitchers have a 2.76 ERA when he's been catching, and his 1.25 WPA leads the team (minus Flaherty)

And this is during the stretch where we took the division lead.

We are 20-6 (loss last night) and 20-8 overall since he returned 8/13. We went from 2.0 back of the Cubs to ahead by 4.0. He's probably been the biggest reason for this surge.
    Nah.. Tommy ****ing Edman is!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Nah.. Tommy ****ing Edman is!!
    Lol

I think I figured out why people like Edman so much.

Is it because he makes things happen? Because he definitely does that. Even if it doesn't produce as many runs as you'd like. It's activity.

He's an average hitter, with good defense and base running. And he has a nice WPA because when he has been in high leverage situations, he has done well so far.

I like Edman. I like his play style and type. I just think fans grossly over state his impact and production.

Lol

I think I figured out why people like Edman so much.

Is it because he makes things happen? Because he definitely does that. Even if it doesn't produce as many runs as you'd like. It's activity.

He's an average hitter, with good defense and base running. And he has a nice WPA because when he has been in high leverage situations, he has done well so far.

I like Edman. I like his play style and type. I just think fans grossly over state his impact and production.
    No, hes a hustle guy on a team that doesnt hustle. Him and Bader both

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    He is definitely one of the reasons but you can’t discount the runs Flaherty and Hudson have had either.. Also Fowler and Wong moving to the top of the lineup has been huge in my opinion..
    Oh, I believe that no single player can win a baseball game. It takes a team.

Molina in August (when we surged) was not only our best hitter, but his impact on the rotation has been drastic and obvious.

Molina is the main and very obvious reason we went from being a team around .500 to being a team winning the division.

No, hes a hustle guy on a team that doesnt hustle. Him and Bader both
    Hustle doesn't equal production. Which do you think matters more in terms of wins and loses?