Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ian. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47:22675283
    He'd have to play some third and/or second in order to be Franklin's backup.
    If he's the best SS in baseball, he'll be fine

Not to mention Seager can move around to cover other positions if needed, so our backup INF doesn't have to play every position... But he needs to be able to cover 3B, or someone else needs to be able to.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Yeah Ryan will be fine as a backup.

If you play SS like a God, then you can slide over. There's a reason people move from SS more than to SS.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Ryan's value is at SS though.

Oh no doubt, I'm just responding about him having to play elsewhere at times to be a backup, and that won't be a problem.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Oh, okay. I'm sure 3rd would be fine for him here and there, but 3rd is supposed to be where you stash a good bat.

Ryan's 360 throw last night was cleeean.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    Oh, okay. I'm sure 3rd would be fine for him here and there, but 3rd is supposed to be where you stash a good bat.
    If that ever came up, Ryan goes to SS and someone else goes to 3rd.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Ryan has been killing it in the field lately. More than usual.

Ryan has literally been twice as good as the next best shortstops in the league... with a current 12.8 UZR he's already saved more runs than anyone did the last two years, and we're not even at the halfway mark. UZR started being recorded in 2002, and since then the record for a SS in a full season was Adam Everett in '06 with a 25.2 UZR, and 25.8 UZR/150. For notes on pacing that mark, Ryan's UZR/150 is currently 33.3, so he's on pace to set a new high water mark for shortstops in UZR...

Unfortunately his bat is so bad that it weighs him down so he's sitting 12th in WAR for SS's with a minimum of 200 PAs... or you could look at it that his defense brings him up to being ranked 12th.
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 06-28-2012 at 03:48 PM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Seattle4Ever Guest
    If Ryan could bat .250..........

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    If Ryan could bat .250..........
    There's room for hope... his BABIP is sitting down at like .228 last I checked.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    His first season with us he actually was very solid with the bat.

So to go back to the original question about ranking our SS's, the list should include the aforementioned Franklin, Miller, Triunfel and DeCarlo, but I think should also include Martin Peguero, Christopher Taylor, Timothy Lopes and even Marcus Littlewood. They may not all be in play to be the future SS for the M's, but if not they may be trade candidates or solid injury reserves. Granted, a few of them are likely to move over to 3B or something like that, but until then they're on the SS depth chart. Hard to know where to place Peguero, Taylor, DeCarlo and Lopes on the list, but I'm pretty sure Littlewood is at the end, and Franklin and Miller are at the top, at least for now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast