Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kevin Pritchard to Become Pacers GM

Finally.. I always thought he was fired unfairly because the owners were sour at him for drafting Oden ahead of Durant (Even though 29 Other GM's at the time would've done the same). It wasn't his fault because No one expected Oden to be the most injury Prone No.1 Overall Pick in NBA history. The guy is 7-0 285 Pounds For crying out Loud.

His injured Portland team always made the Playoffs in the Tough Western Conference., even without Oden.

He has made some really AMAZING trades during his tenure:

He Traded Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa for LaMarcus Aldridge.
    He traded Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, and a 2008 2nd Round pick for Randy Foye.
    He Traded Randy Foye for Brandon Roy.
    He traded Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey for Nicolus Batum.
    He traded cash for Rudy Fernandez. (Set NBA Record for Three Pointers Made By Rookie)

In my eyes, Portland's always been this good, because of this man. Nicolus Batum, and LaMarcus Aldridge are the future of this team, and he's the reason they play for Portland. He should not have been fired in the first place.

Glad to see he's finally back in the rightful position he belongs. GM of a Rising Pacers Team. Interested to see the type of moves he'll make as GM of the Pacers, because his style as a GMing is very aggressive.

Here's the Article Below:

As Larry Bird finalizes his deal to continue as Indiana Pacers president, he plans to elevate Kevin Pritchard to become the franchise’s general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pritchard has become a favorite of Bird’s since his hiring as the Pacers' director of player personnel a year ago. Pritchard’s promotion will spell the end of David Morway’s successful tenure as GM, sources said.

Despite joining the organization as a subordinate to Morway, Pritchard rapidly usurped power and influence since his hiring a year ago, league sources said. Pacers owner Herb Simon and Morway were wary of bringing Pritchard into the organization, sources said, but Bird trusts Pritchard’s counsel and has pushed for this change.

Bird still has to finalize a deal with Simon for Pritchard’s promotion to be made official.

Pritchard had a modestly successfully, but tumultuous three-year run as the Portland Trail Blazers' GM from 2007-10. He drafted LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Nic Batum, but also had some first-round picks – that cost the Blazers millions of dollars to acquire – never pan out. Pritchard’s self-aggrandizing management style alienated those inside and outside the Blazers organization and ultimately led to owner Paul Allen firing him on draft night in 2010.

In some ways, Pritchard is best known for jumpstarting the Oklahoma City Thunder’s rise to prominence in the Western Conference after he chose Greg Oden over Kevin Durant with the first pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Landing Durant turned out to be a seminal moment for the freshly crowned 2012 Western Conference champions.

The Pacers' move is largely baffling to league executives who believe Morway played a significant part in the franchise's rise to contention in the Eastern Conference this season. Morway helped replenish the Pacers through the draft and trades. Indiana lost in six games to the Miami Heat in the East semifinals.

(Source- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...pacers-gm.html)

Via- Yahoo Sports
    Last edited by xabial; 06-09-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Good pick up. So does this means that Bird officially retired?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    Good pick up. So does this means that Bird officially retired?
    It was Bird's Call. If you read the article, it Says Bird will remain President of the Pacers (Whatever that Position Means). Bird's successor to the GM Position, David Morway's will step down and is not the GM of the Pacers anymore and will be replaced by Kevin Pritchard. (Seems to me David Morway is fired, or in a greatly reduced role).

This just means Kevin Pritchard will get a major boost in Power when handling Basketball operations. Pacers Owners were wary of bringing him into the organization but Pritchard had Bird's Trust, and Bird was the one who pushed for his hiring. It seems like they work well together.

Interested to see what Pritchard will do to revamp this young Rising Indiana Squad.
    Last edited by xabial; 06-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.

As far as I can tell, fans really had no idea what Morway actually did. Most of the credit seemed to go to Bird, so I'm not sure why league execs would think otherwise.

Bird will still control the team like he has for about 4 years. Pritch will be his right hand man though

Nets should went after him rather than King.

Of course, Rod Thorn was determined to bring down the Nets franchise, as was clearly indicated in his last 6 years of running the Nets.

So Thorn recommended King as GM, and refused to go hard after Thibs (who is unbelievably underpaid, and supposedly money was no object to Proky).
    Last edited by llemon; 06-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    When you got to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    He seems to be really good at drafting players, and that's 90% of the battle right there. The other 10% is know which free agents to sign and knowing enough to not give more in a trade than what you are getting.

This should help the Pacers. But my only concern is that in Portland Pritchard was allowed to spend. I don't think the Pacers will have that same mentalitiy. He will have to be more frugal.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Damn.
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

FUARK, I was hoping he would come to LA. Damn you Bird

agreed. Portland's had the injury bug, if any of this was to be known beforehand, it's likely the fault of their medical staff and their evaluations of players, not the those making choice based on talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    FUARK, I was hoping he would come to LA. Damn you Bird
    Same, except I wanted him to go to my Knicks when the GM Spot was vacant. Dolan as always decides to screw the Franchise by going internally and hiring glen grunswald. (Who? Exactly) (Oh well..At least he Signed Tyson Chandler)

FACK I wanted Kevin Pritchardd!!

He has a great resume and has done some great things, but everything you read says hes a grade A douchebag and very tough to work with.

Pritch was fired cause was a self absorbed whiny *****. He thought he was more important then anyone. He refused to make trades other then to get euro players at the draft. ESPN over rated him more then they have anyone else ever. In the end only 1 of his deals worked out. Maybe with Bird around to make Pritch his ***** Pritch will stay in line. However first second Bird is not there he will **** over everyone employed by the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    He has a great resume and has done some great things, but everything you read says hes a grade A douchebag and very tough to work with.
    That's why his staff chose to stay in Portland when Allen finally kicked him. No one who works with him can stand him. Though with Bird to keep him in line maybe he will grow up and work out.

Great move by Indiana. This franchise really seems to have their **** together

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast