Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hamels and Pence would most likely make us a contender, not that this trade would ever happen because it simply wont.

But if we were to acquire either guys the deal would have to be contingent with that person signing an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Do you mean Brett Lawrie? I was confused by this...
    Yes should have specified sorry, but the Phillies were contacted by the Blue Jays about the availability of Hamels and Victorino. Lawrie is the main piece I would want out of a deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan0407 View Post
    It would be foolish to throw a guy who's missed half a season directly into the closers role. When he gets back he still needs to get back to form. I'm not saying he won't end up being the closer, but for the second half of the season I don't expect him to be. Aceves has given up most of his runs in non-save situations (other than the 1st two games of the year). I think BV is pretty comfortable at this point giving him the ball in the 9th (even though we still hold our breath every time he does).
    Maybe not for a few appearances, but Bailey will be the closer for the majority of this season (once he returns). He's already got a proven track record at the closer, and is a 2x All Star. He will without a doubt be the closer, and your foolish to think otherwise.
    Rand University

Rocky Top youíll always be
    Home sweet home to me
    Good olí Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post
    Yes should have specified sorry, but the Phillies were contacted by the Blue Jays about the availability of Hamels and Victorino. Lawrie is the main piece I would want out of a deal with them.
    Brett Lawrie will not be traded. There is zero chance of that.
    Rand University

Rocky Top youíll always be
    Home sweet home to me
    Good olí Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude901 View Post
    Maybe not for a few appearances, but Bailey will be the closer for the majority of this season (once he returns). He's already got a proven track record at the closer, and is a 2x All Star. He will without a doubt be the closer, and your foolish to think otherwise.
    +1
    RoY and an all star calibur closer, if he's healthy he'll be 10x more productive than Aceves. I think Ace will be better in the set-up role anyway.

As a Red Sox fan.

I wouldn't make that deal because it assumes we'd sign Pence and Hamels to extensions. Hamels wouldn't sign, he's definitely testing free agency (why wouldn't he?). If he's going to test free agency then I'd rather attempt to sign him then.

As for Pence? Why do we want him when our OF has the potential to be crowded? We have Crawford's albatross, Ellsbury's potential deal, and Kalish's comeback. We also have some potential assets in Daniel Nava, though I still don't know how good he is.

If Hamels is our target then let's chase him in free agency instead of giving up Buchholz.

The love affair for Pence baffles me. He can only play LF in Fenway - below average at best. So who goes to RF? What of Sweeney, Ross, and Kalish not to mention Crawford? Pence would suck in RF in Fenway. Suck.

Filling a need we don't have. He's also meh against RHP - great, a younger Jason bay without Bay's peak hitting abilities.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

According to a report in the Arizona Republic, the Red Sox asked for 25-year-old outfielder Geraldo Parra to be included in any deal that would ship Kevin Youkilis to the Diamondbacks. The request for Parra, along with concerns regarding the money still owed to Youkilis -- who is owed the balance of his $12 million for this season, along with a $1 million buyout on next season's $13 million club option -- has led the Diamondbacks to shy away from any deal for the Sox infielder.

Parra, who has played all three outfield positions this season, is hitting .264 with a .746 OPS, five home runs 10 stolen bases. He is coming off a 2011 season in which he hit .292 with a .784 OPS, hitting eight homers and stealing 15 bases.

The report quotes a source as saying regarding the Red Sox' approach toward trading Youkilis: "They’re trying to make it look like he’s the Youkilis of five years ago instead of the Youkilis of today."
    weei

Why would we need/want Parra? We have Pods, Sweeney, Kalish waiting, and two more lefties coming back in about a month. Kind of surprising.

Love how AZ is downplaying the fact that switching to that Division would help Youk a lot. I could see youk hitting .270 with 20+ HRs for Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Why would we need/want Parra? We have Pods, Sweeney, Kalish waiting, and two more lefties coming back in about a month. Kind of surprising.
    Completely agree with this. I see no point in the presence of Parra either now or in the future.

Love how AZ is downplaying the fact that switching to that Division would help Youk a lot. I could see youk hitting .270 with 20+ HRs for Arizona.
    Switching to a division of pitchers' parks is going to help a struggling slugger? Facing the likes of Cain, Kershaw, etc is going to lead to more home runs than he's had in 3 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Switching to a division of pitchers' parks is going to help a struggling slugger? Facing the likes of Cain, Kershaw, etc is going to lead to more home runs than he's had in 3 yrs?
    Just playing in the national league in general would help him at least a little. I guarantee that. Cain, Kershaw, Vogelsong, and Bumgarner are all great pitchers as you were saying but in general the national league is weaker. Maybe not 20 HRs, were too deep into the season most likely, but 15 is definitely feasible.

Look how good Berkman was last year in the NL compared to how he was with the Yankees the previous year. The situations would obviously not be the same but there are certain similarities i think.

Just playing in the national league in general would help him at least a little. I guarantee that. Cain, Kershaw, Vogelsong, and Bumgarner are all great pitchers as you were saying but in general the national league is weaker. Maybe not 20 HRs, were too deep into the season most likely, but 15 is definitely feasible.

Look how good Berkman was last year in the NL compared to how he was with the Yankees the previous year. The situations would obviously not be the same but there are certain similarities i think.
    Perhaps, but perhaps Berkman's problem was that in switching leagues, he was facing a lot of unfamiliar pitchers without sufficient time to make the proper adjustment. Returning to the NL probably helped him for no other reason than he was back to facing all those familiar pitchers, even the good ones.

And the same thing could hurt Youk. Yes, maybe on the whole, the pitching in the NL may not be as good as in the AL. But switching leagues could hurt Youk just as bad as it hurt Berkman. Oh, if he hung around into next season with the same NL team, he may have had enough time to make the adjustment and have a good 2013 season. But I have to wonder if switching leagues at this point would just make life more difficult for Youk. Of course, an upside could be that if he was a regular starting 1st baseman for someone, all the regular playing time might offset a league switching issue and help get him back on the beam.
    Last edited by Crucis; 06-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Agree with what Crucis is saying here. Changing leagues tends to favor pitchers and hurts hitters because of their familiarity (or lack of it) with their opponents. It's not always true but happens generally enough to be a decent guide.

However, there is a broader misperception at play here I think. The relative strength of AL vs NL teams lies in the presence of the DH and its impact on the entire lineup. The players are pretty comparable between the leagues but the lineups are not. Youk could suffer just as much from having less help in the lineup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast