Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: +/-

+/-

i was just looking over some stats and i thought this needed its own thread.Jays are first in run differential by 21 runs and almost triple the next closest team.mmmmmkay in a mr.mackey voice.

They are 5th in MLB, 2nd in the AL (nowhere near Texas who's +80)

We should be better than 22-18 right now. I'd say that stat speaks more negatively about us than postively. If our bullpen figures it out like the offense seems to be doing we should be alright though.

Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    They are 5th in MLB, 2nd in the AL (nowhere near Texas who's +80)
    thanks for the heads up...i dont know what plus minus i was looking at lmao.

+/- is very volatile. one blowout game could put you on the top or last.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    +/- is very volatile. one blowout game could put you on the top or last.
    That's kind of an over-exaggeration

the reason i thought they were in first was because i was looking at the wild card leaders---without the division leaders-so without the division leaders we are first in baseball wooohooooo.

our expected won-loss record is 24-17, best in the AL East

Quote Originally Posted by the_jon View Post
    we should be better than 22-18 right now. I'd say that stat speaks more negatively about us than postively. If our bullpen figures it out like the offense seems to be doing we should be alright though.
    this

As a team Toronto have a 0.265 BABIP, good for second lowest in the league. Based on this number alone I would expect the hitters to come round at some point soon. If this regresses to the mean, it may add 30 points to the batting average and OBP putting us in the upper echelons of hitting performance.
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

Quote Originally Posted by ILDD View Post
    As a team Toronto have a 0.265 BABIP, good for second lowest in the league. Based on this number alone I would expect the hitters to come round at some point soon. If this regresses to the mean, it may add 30 points to the batting average and OBP putting us in the upper echelons of hitting performance.
    That's not how BABIP works.

The Jays have the lowest LD% of any team in the majors. They've also hit the 8th most flyballs, and the combination of these two means that the Jays should have one of the lower team BABIP's in the game.

Some hitters should improve, but overall it won't lead the Jays to having 30 points of BABIP increasing.

And while run differential is useful, over two months it can be easily influenced by a few lopsided games. What it does mean is that the Jays needed to be more proactive with getting rid of Lind, and hopefully demoting Thames and finding a more productive LF.