Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    44,210

    Did MJ help or hurt his career by not playing?

    I dont know about you but once the Bulls lost Horace Grant, they lost the size/toughness that made them overwhelming favorites, that isnt to say they couldnt have won but it definitely would have been more difficult. Obviously if they win more titles MJ's legacy is enhanced but for the sake of conversation lets say nothing changes.

    Would you think any differently of MJ had he lost while in basketball shape those 2 years?

    Expanding on that question, did he do himself a favor or a disservice by retiring twice as a Bull? What if he had retired a year later and lost to the Spurs?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35,376
    It's interesting that you mention this cause Houston was as bad of a matchup for Chicago as any. Not sure who would have held Hakeem in check in 95 when Grant was gone and Mad Max defended MJ as well as just about anyone.

    I think we could have beaten them in 94 with MJ, but would have probably lost to them in 95, assuming we lose Grant and replace him with no one that season.

    To answer the question, I wouldn't. I think others might because many assume MJ would have just won 8 instead of 6, when in reality, he might have not been able to beat Houston.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Neither here, Nor there
    Posts
    9,511
    good question. I think it helped him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,379
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    I think others might because many assume MJ would have just won 8 instead of 6, when in reality, he might have not been able to beat Houston.
    I'm guilty of this for sure. He'd at least have 7 IMO had he not retired... that said from a psychological perspective you never know... had he not taken that break maybe he wouldn't have been as dominant as he was after his father's death, when he returned.

    Oh and of course I'd like to throw JR under the bus for breaking the Bulls up a season or two too early... No doubt in my mind they'd have had a 7th had he waited another year to break it up.

    I also don't like to think that MJ retired because of his love of baseball and his dad's death... I like to think that he retired because basketball was getting too easy for him, and he had become bored

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,504
    It definitely helped him. He got to rest his body and a chance to deal with his emotions from his fathers murder. Watching him break down and let all his emotions out after winning his first title after his father died was something I'll never forget and I'm not even a MJ fan, but for that moment I was his fan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,741
    i thought he was in shape in 95...the Bulls just had no one at the 4 spot, since Grant was Orlando...but a year and a half off definitely gave him time to rest...it's tough to 4 peat............


    The Evil Empire Strikes Back...Take Em Home Frankie.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlJl1LfDP4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35,376
    Quote Originally Posted by smiddy012 View Post
    I'm guilty of this for sure. He'd at least have 7 IMO had he not retired... that said from a psychological perspective you never know... had he not taken that break maybe he wouldn't have been as dominant as he was after his father's death, when he returned.

    Oh and of course I'd like to throw JR under the bus for breaking the Bulls up a season or two too early... No doubt in my mind they'd have had a 7th had he waited another year to break it up.

    I also don't like to think that MJ retired because of his love of baseball and his dad's death... I like to think that he retired because basketball was getting too easy for him, and he had become bored
    JR had nothing to do with it. He was between a rock and a hard place. He chose to defend Krause instead of Phil, but the situation sucked. If you wanna blame Krause for his enormous ego, that's fine. But blaming JR is ridiculous.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,682
    It helped him. They couldn't do it without him.

    With that said though, they wouldn't have won 8 like some say if he hadn't retired. He would have retired after another year or 2. I mean, he was ok with 3...
    Your perception of the obvious is OUTSTANDING!!!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lakerland
    Posts
    5,651
    Think how many more points MJ would've had if he hadn't retired twice. Kobe is going to think he's better when he takes so many more games and shots to pass. Michael Jordan. lol. The Kobe apologists will think so too

    LAKERS / PACKERS / DODGERS / KINGS / 18

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    66,620
    I actually believe in 1999 that he retired because he had cut his finger and was going to be out 2 months. That happened IIRC when the season was going to start or when we knew we were going to have a season. So instead of having him out 2 months, the rest of the guys knew it was time to leave.
    Also the most important thing is if he would have lost as the favorite which never happened.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by lakersfan01 View Post
    Think how many more points MJ would've had if he hadn't retired twice. Kobe is going to think he's better when he takes so many more games and shots to pass. Michael Jordan. lol. The Kobe apologists will think so too
    Kobe is ALWAYS on your mind, like a spurned girlfriend even when the thread has NOTHING to do with him....get over it man, grow up and move on.... this is what I get for giving you a second chance, welcome to ignore for the 2nd time, and this time it's permanent, it's obvious you have nothing of value to contribute....ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by David123 View Post
    I think Al Davis is a robot created in the 1960's to run a afl franchise.
    --------------
    Quote Originally Posted by laek View Post
    Billboard is too new technology for Al Davis. I'm going to be a maverick and do it the way Al can understand. I will hire a horseman to deliver the petitions and send Morse code to him.
    ------------------------

    "What people don't get about me, is that I'm a rockstar first, and a basketball player second," - Lamar Odom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •