Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would win in a 7 game series?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spurs

34 66.67%
  • Warriors

13 25.49%
  • GMs Click Here.

4 7.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 NBA ReDraft 1st Round - #1) San Antonio Spurs vs. #8)Golden State Warriors

Welcome to the 2012 NBA ReDraft voting process. The redraft is exactly how it sounds. The rosters of every NBA team are cleared and then drafted again from scratch. Posters from the site draft full rosters under a salary cap and then there is a voting process to make the playoffs. We are now in the playoffs and the head to head matchups have begun. Please remember to vote for the roster and write-up you believe would win a 7 game series and leave any of your personal preference for the real teams out of your decision. Thank you and enjoy the playoffs!

Warriors:
    PG: Ricky Rubio (35) / Jodie Meeks (13) / Chris Duhon
    SG: Ray Allen (34) / Shannon Brown (14)
    SF: Tayshaun Prince (32) / Lamar Odom (16) / Bill Walker
    PF: Zach Randolph (38) / Lamar Odom (5) / Nick Collison (5)
    C: Ben Wallace (20) / Nick Collison (28) / Jermaine O'Neal

Spurs:
    PG: Chris Paul | John Lucas III | Patty Mills
    SG: Rip Hamilton | C.J. Miles
    SF: Kawhi Leonard | Martell Webster
    PF: Elton Brand | Kenyon Martin
    C: Al Jefferson | Ian Mahinmi | Anthony Tolliver

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone
    PG: Both teams will be quite similar in that the majority of the offense will stem from their point guard. Paul is clearly the better player, but Rubio will have no problem running his offense with Randolph and shooters like Allen and Prince. His length and athleticism (6í4Ē, 180) make him one of the few players at PG who could give Chris Paul (6í0Ē, 175) problems, wearing him down over a seven-game series. Rubio (second in the league in steals) will keep Paul on his toes and be a terror in the passing lanes. Heís a decent 3-point shooter, but his strength will be his ability to penetrate, create offense for other players and get to the line (which he does fairly regularly at 3.8 attempts per game, hitting 80%). While Paul is a very good defender, I think a seven-game series chasing Rubio around would exhaust him on the offensive end and put a lot of mileage on his tired knees. Edge: Spurs

SG: Again, this is a fairly similar matchup as a couple of veteran, sharpshooting scoring wings face off. And while Rip has the experience and the ring to prove it, Ray Allen is the master of the clutch 3-pointer and a beast in the postseason. Heís not only first in all time regular season 3-pointers, but heís second in all-time postseason 3-pointers, in addition to holding a .416 3-point % in the postseason (21st all time), .592 TS% in the postseason (29th all time) and a .1615 career postseason PER (43rd all time). And while most of his offense usually still comes from screens and he rarely creates for himself, his shot is still unstoppable. In terms of efficiency, itís not even close. Allenís .566 TS% completely dwarfs Ripís .500 TS%. And defensively, Allen has always competed and has held his SG opponents to an 11.4 PER this season. Edge: Warriors

SF: Kawhi Leonard is a talented kid, but asking him to go up against a smart, veteran guy like Prince is a lot. Prince has a good two inches on him and his freakish wingspan will give him an advantage in terms of shooting and defense. Leonard is a good defender, but Prince has held his SF opponents to an 11.6 PER this season. And one of Leonardís strengths is his rebounding, but Prince has always consistently been one of the better rebounding SFís in the league. Leonardís mediocre 14.5 USG% this season (compared to Princeís 20.4%), doesnít worry me too much defensively. He can hit the open three and while Prince may be required to double Jefferson on occasion, no one is better about getting back to his open shooter than Prince and his freakish arms. Edge: Warriors

PF: If this matchup were seven or eight years ago, then Brand would win it, but his athleticism has deteriorated over the years, whereas Randolph has become one of the most dangerous low post threats in the sport. Prior to this injury plagued season, Randolph had essentially averaged 20/12 with a 21 PER and .17 WS/48 the last two seasons. In last yearís playoffs, Randolph demolished the Spurs frontcourt of Blair/Duncan and Thunder frontcourt of Ibaka/Perkins for a freakish 22/11, 22 PER and .17 WS/48. While Brand is a very good defensive player, if those frontcourts couldnít stop Z-Bo, what chance does he have? And while Z-Bo doesnít get much credit for his defense, heís a phenomenal rebounder (17.1 career TRB%) compared to Brand (15.0 TR%) and heís held opposing PFs to a 9.2 PER this season. Meanwhile, Brandís ďstellar DĒ has allowed opposing 4s a 16.3 PER this season. Edge: Warriors

C: This is a significant advantage for the Spurs, but not one that our frontcourt will let get out of hand. Yes, Jefferson is a deadly low post threat, but who better to stop him than four-time defensive player of the year, Ben Wallace? Yeah, the dude is 37 years old and will only play about 15-20 minutes, but he still manages to average about 10 rebounds and 2 blocks per 36 minutes, he still has a knack for changing shots and being a nuisance in the paint. And similar to Allen, the guy has proven himself to be a playoff warrior, posting a career 16.2 PER and .164 WS/48 in the playoffs. Collison will get the majority of the minutes here, mainly late in the game when Wallaceís free-throw shooting becomes a problem and will annoy Jefferson with his tenacious defense and ability to draw offensive fouls. Defensively, Jefferson doesnít provide much and he admittedly doesnít have that much to worry about, but he wonít outrebound Wallace, who boasts a higher TRB% this season (16.4 to 16.2) than Jefferson, and Iíd worry about his effort boxing out Wallace on the offensive glass. Edge: Spurs

Bench: The Spurs have a few nice pieces, but I do not think this is close in the slightest. Nick Collison is a +- monster because he does all the little things well and heís an annoying post defender. And while Odom is coming off of a bad season, weíre talking about the third best player on two recent championship teams, a guy who can defend multiple positions, do everything on offense and is an exceptional rebounder. Throw in the always athletic, dangerous Shannon Brown, and thatís three major contributors on teams with deep playoff runs over the last few years. Meeks can also provide some solid offense and is an exceptional 3-point shooter. They have little to no offense coming from their bench with Lucas being the leading scorer (7.5 ppg this season) and K-Mart might be their best bench player, but heís a shell of his former self and canít be counted on for anything offensively (.445 TS% this season). Edge: Warriors

Offense: The Rubio, Randolph pick and roll will be absolutely deadly, and Rubioís penetration will be key to getting open looks to Allen, Prince and the bench wings on the outside. In transition, our squad will get a lot of open looks at 3s between Rubio and Allen, as well as transition dunks with Prince. On the block, Randolph has proven himself to be one of the most dangerous post players in the NBA, and there is not a defensive 4 in the NBA who could slow him down when heís on fire (hence, him toasting the Spurs and Thunder in last seasonís playoffs). Heís clearly the No. 1 option, with Allenís sharpshooting key as the No. 2 and Prince and Rubio filling out the No. 3 and No. 4 options nicely. A perfect combination of inside/outside scoring, shooters and slashers.

Defense: The Paul, Jefferson pick and roll will be equally deadly, but I love having Rubioís length and athleticism to get around screens. Rubio, Prince and Wallace will all be a terror in the passing lanes and lead to some easy transition buckets. Jefferson is the player weíll be primarily concerned with, using the length and athleticism of Wallace and the tenacity of Collison to keep him in check. The key will be timely double teams likely coming from Prince, an elite help defender, who has the length to get back to bother a perimeter shooter on a pass off from Jefferson in the paint. Iím not too concerned with the inefficient Hamilton (50 TS%) or timid Leonard (14.5 USG%), as Allen and Prince should be able to keep them in check on a regular basis. Randolph isnít a stud defender, but heís strong, he boxes out well and Brand is no longer the athletic monster he once was, so heíll handle him one-on-one.

Intangibles/Overall: Thereís a reason why re-draft teams with Al Jefferson always fail. Itís because the guy just canít be counted on in the NBA to be a No. 1 player. In eight seasons, heís played in only seven career playoff games, all of them as a rookie. And if Paul has to be the No. 1 guy, thatís an extremely tall order. Heíll be asked to guard one of the most explosive PGs in the NBA, run the entire offense AND take over crunch time scoring already. And if I had to have our big four trade shots late in games with their big four, give me Randolph, Allen, Prince and Rubio any day over Paul, Jefferson, Hamilton and Brand.

Their lack of depth is a HUGE concern, especially when you consider Hamilton (34 years old) and Brand (33 years old) played only 24.9 mpg and 28.9 mpg respectively this season. And if Jefferson gets into foul trouble, who comes in off the bench? Mahinmi? If I go with a smaller lineup with Randolph or Odom starting at center, how does Mahinmi deal with that?
    Bottom line, my team has more balance position for position, more postseason experience and more depth. These things matter when you play in the postseason, the same as they mattered when the Mavericks beat the Heat. The Heat had more talent, but the Mavericks had more balance and depth. Thatís the kind of team weíve created, and thatís why the Warriors would win this series. Warriors in 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314
    1 San Antonio Spurs vs. 8 Golden State Warriors

Congratulations to MBT and astros for making the playoffs. They did an excellent job putting together a versatile, balanced lineup and we wish them the best of luck in the postseason.

Behind All-NBA first teamer Chris Paul and perhaps the craftiest interior scorer in basketball in Al Jefferson, our lineup features an offense that is both varied and flexible. Rip Hamilton and Kawhi Leonard are superb cutters and operate away from the basketball as well as any two wings in the league. Neither player needs the ball in his hands to be effective, which is an ideal fit for the league's premier distributor in Paul.

On the interior, our high-to-low post action between Elton Brand and Al Jefferson is as strong as any combination in the ReDraft. Brand is converting nearly 47% of midrange shots between 10-15 feet and ranks among the league's fifty most proficient spot-up shooters (53%, 1.09 PPP). Meanwhile Al Jefferson has been among the best interior scorers in the league again this year, converting on 58% of buckets within 9 feet of the rim. Less than fifty percent of those scores were assisted on, leaving for the comfortable assumption that Chris Paul's prominence as a floor general would maximize Jefferson's general dominance as a shot-maker on the low block.

The Warriors are something of an offensively challenged team, one which would need to rely heavily on the offensive output of their first option Zach Randolph to carry them against a sound interior defense like ours. Assuming the Warriors can count on the Randolph who dominated in last year's postseason (hardly a guarantee), he's matched up with one of the league's best post defenders in Brand. Brand has held opponents to a startling .59 points per possession on 31% shooting on post-up plays. To translate, it's very difficult to bang with Brand and produce. A huge chunk of Randolph's offensive production (40%) come from post-up plays. With Brand putting the clamps down on Randolph during this best of seven series, the Warriors won't be able to score enough to keep up with us.

On the perimeter, the highly efficient Leonard matches up with Tayshaun Prince, who just finished an awful season. Outside of his career low TS%, eFG%, win shares, and lowest PER since his rookie season, his defense slipped into the bottom half of the league in points per possession. Kawhi may not be known for his ability to create, but his non-stop off-ball movement and his relentless pursuit of every loose ball will present a challenge for the aging, declining Prince.

On the other end, the Warriors sorely lack the personnel necessary to muck up Al Jefferson's game. Ben Wallace remains a solid interior defender, but he's not a reliable contributor if his floor time exceeds 18-22 minutes a night. Statistically, Nick Collison is far less adept as a post defender and will likely log the bulk of Golden State's minutes at center. With Paul to create for him, Jefferson will run rampant in this series.

The off-guard match-up is one between two guards who excel at moving without the basketball and picking their spots with screens and hard cuts along the baseline and the elbow. We concede that Ray Allen has been a healthier, more efficient version of Rip this season. Offensively, neither player is a prominent shot-creator at this point in his career. Defensively, their numbers are enhanced by the stout defensive teams they play for in real life. The production from this position is likely to equal over the course of a seven game series, granted Allenís output will probably come at a slightly more efficient clip.

At point guard, Chris Paul will surely throttle the rookie Ricky Rubio. In two head-to-head match-ups this season, Paul utterly outplayed Rubio and the numbers (23 and 6 on 52% shooting vs. 3 and 8 on 13% shooting) support it. Rubio is in the bottom half of the league in defensive PPP, while Paul remains the best two-way point guard in basketball. He is also the 8th most proficient isolation player in the league (1.08 PPP, 48% from the field) and among the most proficient initiators of the pick and roll (.94 PPP, 47% from the field).

Off the bench, we have a solid two-way big in Ian Mahinmi, scorers/shooters in John Lucas III, Patty Mills, and Martell Webster, and a hard-nosed, physical enforcer in Kenyon Martin. Beyond the 21 minutes per game the Warriors have awarded to the worthless Lamar Odom, they also have a solid crop of reserves. Regardless, this is not a series in which depth will be pivotal.

The Warriors constructed a rock solid team well deserving a postseason berth, but their lack of offensive firepower and our ability to lock down on their two most important positions will spell the end for them in this series. Homecourt advantage is just a bonus to our advantages offensively and defensively.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

MBT did a phenomenal job on his writeup but the Spurs have been my pick ever since they added Al Jeff to CP3. The way Brand is defending this year, that's a phenomenal frontcourt.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Honestly... I like the Warriors team. No disrespect to the Spurs, but that is a very nice Warriors team. Warriors in 7.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

I have to give it up to MBT for doing one helluva write-up but with that said I think the Spurs are just to much behind the duo of CP3 and Al Jeff. I think the Warriors put up a fight but they fall short in the end. Spurs in 6.

I seriously disagree that our roster "lacks offensive firepower." If anything, I'd argue the Spurs offense should struggle moreso offensively. Aside from Paul and Jefferson, there isn't a player on that roster who scares me offensively. Hamilton and Brand are a decent 3 and 4, but the bench completely lacks any semblance of offensive firepower. Who's scoring on that bench? Miles? K-Mart?

And don't tell me that "depth doesn't matter" or that the bench players will hardly see the floor when you've got two players in their 30s starting who play less than 30 minutes a night and a rookie at SF. While I agree that you don't have to have a great bench to win an NBA championship, I think any good team should have a solid 8-9 man roster and the Spurs don't have it.

Also, as far as Paul "throttling" Rubio goes, I'd like to point out that in those two games that Paul "outplayed" Rubio, Rubio tallied more assists, more rebounds, as many steals and posted a better assist/turnover ratio in those games.... Oh yeah, and the Wolves won both! I do not assume that Rubio will be able to score at will against the Spurs, but he will do all the other things well, as he did against Paul the last time the two players met. And he's going to have the occasional offensive outburst, regardless of what two previous regular season matchups would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I seriously disagree that our roster "lacks offensive firepower." If anything, I'd argue the Spurs offense should struggle moreso offensively. Aside from Paul and Jefferson, there isn't a player on that roster who scares me offensively. Hamilton and Brand are a decent 3 and 4, but the bench completely lacks any semblance of offensive firepower. Who's scoring on that bench? Miles? K-Mart?
    Does that mean Jodie Meeks and Shannon Brown are supposed to be a couple of lightning bugs off the bench? You're playing Lamar Odom 21 minutes a game off the bench. If Lamar Odom can crack 21 minutes a game in your rotation, I have a hard time grasping your severe depth advantage.

Although it's a small sample size from this season, Patty Mills is a capable scorer and so is John Lucas. Since you seem to think Per 36 is a relevant stat, Lucas is averaging 18 and 5 on nearly 40% outside shooting in 36 minutes.

And if you're going to try to package Odom as anything more than a tub of cockroach excrement, C.J. Miles may as well be MJ's baby.

And don't tell me that "depth doesn't matter" or that the bench players will hardly see the floor
    I never said or even suggested any of that.

I think any good team should have a solid 8-9 man roster and the Spurs don't have it.
    Disagree. I'll disagree that your bench is totally seriously awesome.

Your lack of offensive firepower stems from the fact that Shannon Brown is your best shot-creator from the perimeter. Ricky Rubio can't create for himself, Prince was awful this year offensively, and Ben Wallace/Nick Collison aren't going to contribute much if a damn thing at the offensive end. Ray's awesome, but he's not going to create for himself much at all these days.

That leaves Randolph. The best defender on our roster (and one of the best in the NBA this season) is glued to him.

I really want to pick the upset, but I cant do it.

MBT put together a really strong team, but I too think they will struggle offensively. They have a solid #1 option in Randolph, but after that it gets questionable. Allen isn't capable of carrying the load offensively anymore, Rubio has minimal scoring ability at this point in his career, Ben Wallace is virtually useless on offense, and Tayshawn Prince has been pretty awful offensively this year.

I like the Spurs offense much more. Paul is the best point guard in the league. Al Jefferson is one of (if not THE) best pure post scorers in the league. Elton Brand is a great compliment for Al Jeff -- Solid mid range game, good rebounder, good defense. Leonard is a rookie, but his defensive potential is off the charts, but his offense is quite solid as well. Rip is a lot like Ray Allen: Injury plagued season, but still good in his role. As a 3rd/4th option on this team, I think he fits perfectly.

I'd give a slight edge to the Warriors bench, but not enough to sway the series.

I like MBT's team, but I love Catty's team. Spurs in 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    Does that mean Jodie Meeks and Shannon Brown are supposed to be a couple of lightning bugs off the bench? You're playing Lamar Odom 21 minutes a game off the bench. If Lamar Odom can crack 21 minutes a game in your rotation, I have a hard time grasping your severe depth advantage.
    Compared to your bench, I'd kill to have Meeks and Brown. And I think it's unfair to judge Odom based on one season, which is likely an aberration. There's no reason to believe Odom can't come back and still be a very productive NBA player on the right team. He's a career 15/9/4 player and I don't need to tell you what his impact was on those Lakers championship teams...

Although it's a small sample size from this season, Patty Mills is a capable scorer and so is John Lucas. Since you seem to think Per 36 is a relevant stat, Lucas is averaging 18 and 5 on nearly 40% outside shooting in 36 minutes.
    Yeah, he's also averaging a .496 TS%. And you only have to look at the game log to see his wild inconsistency. He goes off once every 10 games or so and puts up 20 a night, but then disappears for a week or two. He's been successful since given playing time with Rose out, but even in the month of April given 21.4 minutes a game, he shot only 39% from the floor. If he's your best bench scorer you're in trouble.

And yes, Mills IS an extremely small sample size (only 16 games) and most of his scoring has come in nights when Poppovich has rested Parker, Ginobili and Duncan against mediocre teams. He posted 27 against Phoenix and 34 against Golden State at the very end of the season with nobody of value playing, which accounts for his inflated scoring.

Disagree. I'll disagree that your bench is totally seriously awesome.
    I don't think I once used those words, but I'll take arguably one of the best defensive bench bigs in the NBA (Collison) and a couple of solid scoring combo guards (Meeks, Brown) over yours any day of the week.

Your lack of offensive firepower stems from the fact that Shannon Brown is your best shot-creator from the perimeter. Ricky Rubio can't create for himself, Prince was awful this year offensively, and Ben Wallace/Nick Collison aren't going to contribute much if a damn thing at the offensive end. Ray's awesome, but he's not going to create for himself much at all these days.
    Why do I necessarily need players who create shots for themselves on the perimeter when I have Rubio to create shots for them? And if you're going to make that argument, I don't exactly see Hamilton or Leonard creating shots for themsleves either.

That leaves Randolph. The best defender on our roster (and one of the best in the NBA this season) is glued to him.
    And as I stated in my writeup, how did the Spurs and Thunder solid defensive frontcourts handle him in the playoffs last season?

If MBT was playing anybody other than the Spurs I would probably pick him and his write up literally almost swayed me to pick them but I like the Spurs just a little more

I feel like your underselling Brand's defensive abilities MBT.

But overall, good write ups from both teams.

al jeff on wallace is the killer. warriors make a decent run but the undersized frontcourt is too much

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Nope... Sorry but no cheaters allowed... If you are caught cheating you shouldnt be next to guys that have done nothing wrong... Lets put a cheater like brady next to some of the best QBs ever like Young and Montana

He has cheated several times and now lies about it and looks like a scumbag pos
    The Death of PSD.

Yeah, I think you have a solid team MBT, but Wallace-Prince-Allen is just too far past their primes to stop this team. Nice write-up, but as sportfan said the Wallace-Jefferson matchup is a killer and Collison isn't exactly a stopper himself.

Warriors have done a great job making their team competitive but at the end of the day, they are simply no match for the Spurs.

Warriors are a better-rounded team, so I votes for them. The series can go either way though.

Great job my MBT on the write-up but had to go with the Spurs. I'm high on CP3 and Catty has done a good job surrounding him with talent to maximize the efficiency of that offense.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast