Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 151
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    572

    Lottery Rigging Potential

    It seems like every year, people say that the lottery was rigged. So I want to point something out. Of the teams with the seven worst records, five of them would create legitimate story lines that people could use as "evidence" when claiming the lottery was rigged:

    - The Bobcats (currently have 25% chance of winning) could end up with the worst winning percentage in NBA history, and are owned by Michael Jordan. And they're hemorrhaging money. Sending Anthony Davis to Charlotte makes a currently irrelevant franchise relevant.

    - The Hornets (currently have a 15.6% chance of winning) lost Chris Paul to a big market and just went through one of the bigger controversies in recent memory (Stern blocking the original CP3 trade). Oh, and they just got sold, people could claim that Benson only bought the team with a wink wink agreement that he'd get Davis.

    - The Kings (currently have an 11.9% chance of winning) may be moving. If they stay, Stern wanted them to and gave them Davis to give the city of Sacramento more incentive to get an arena deal done (in fact, for those of you who are even more cynical, Stern could have promised the city Davis if a stadium deal happens between now and the lottery). If they move, Stern wanted to give the new city more reason to support the team.

    - The Cavs (currently have an 8.8% chance of winning) won it last year, and are just now getting over losing LeBron. Stern might want to help them get over LeBron even faster by giving them a Kyrie-Davis combo. Winning the lottery twice in a row has to mean it was rigged right?

    The Nets (currently have a 5.4% chance of winning) are moving to Brooklyn next year and may not have a recognizable star if Deron leaves. Stern would give them Davis in an effort to convince Deron to stay so a big market would have two stars, and even if Deron still leaves Brooklyn would have one star to rally around. In fact, if the Nets pick falls outside of the top 3 it goes to Portland, so naturally if it is in the top 3 it's because Stern demanded it so a good player would go to a big market instead of a small market.

    Add those five percentages with the extra 1.1 New Orleans has from Minnesota, and you have a 67.8% chance of there being a legitimate storyline behind this year's lottery winner, and by extension a bunch of ridiculous claims that it's rigged. That's not counting the 19.9% chance that Washington wins it (a big market team that's been struggling and would get to pair up two Kentucky #1 overall picks in 3 years). Oh, and if any of the other teams with their collective 12.3% wins than it's clearly for Stern throwing everyone off by giving it to the little guy every once in the while.

    Here's my point: THE LOTTERY IS NOT RIGGED! There are story lines for EVERY POTENTIAL WINNER! I'm pointing this out now so that next month when one of those teams in the 67.8% wins hopefully nobody is going to make these ridiculous claims.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,570
    Rigged

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    72,543
    If you believe in conspiracy theories like this, there's always away to convince yourself something was rigged.

    The reality of the matter is that there are reps from all 30 teams witnessing everything...so you'd think that if one team was getting dicked over...someone would eventually say something about it.

    The lottery is not rigged, and I say that with the utmost confidence. I'd bet my first born on that!
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    Yup. I've been thinking I'll do a poll a week or two before the lottery, where everyone picks the 2 or 3 teams they think it's most likely to be rigged for. I think there'll be some interesting results.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    56,508
    Pathetic.

    Embarrassing people actually think it's rigged.

    Outside of the suspicious 2011 lottery, nothing indicates it was rigged.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    103,386
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    If you believe in conspiracy theories like this, there's always away to convince yourself something was rigged.

    The reality of the matter is that there are reps from all 30 teams witnessing everything...so you'd think that if one team was getting dicked over...someone would eventually say something about it.

    The lottery is not rigged, and I say that with the utmost confidence. I'd bet my first born on that!

    why not just televise the ball being picked instead of how they do it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    48,882
    How about just get rid of the idiotic lottery and there won't be any issues with it being rigged.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Pathetic.

    Embarrassing people actually think it's rigged.

    Outside of the suspicious 2011 lottery, nothing indicates it was rigged.
    Even the 2011 lottery doesn't suggest it. The Clippers pick that the Cavs had had a 10% chance of moving up and a 2.8% chance of winning overall.
    If anything it's less suspicious than Chicago winning in 2008 (6.1% chance of moving up and 1.7% chance of winning overall).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    72,543
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    How about just get rid of the idiotic lottery and there won't be any issues with it being rigged.
    Tanking would be so much more of a bloodbath without the lottery. That would be awesome!
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    why not just televise the ball being picked instead of how they do it?
    It can take a long time and would be extremely bad/boring television - the reverse order reveal like they currently do is much more exciting.

    I definitely agree they should just put the lottery footage online somewhere after the reveal, though. No idea why they don't do that.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,685
    Those really aren't stories, of course a bad team getting the number 1 draft pick and hopefully changing the team for the better will create good media but bad teams getting the best player would happen regardless of the lottery or not... A good story would be like Chi-Town getting a hometown star and him making the team a serious contender...

    You're reaching pretty far with your made up stories and you could come up with an endless amount of "stories" with how out of whack they are...

    That's not to be an attack, I also think the NBA is scripted, at least in some regards...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by LGhost View Post
    Those really aren't stories, of course a bad team getting the number 1 draft pick and hopefully changing the team for the better will create good media but bad teams getting the best player would happen regardless of the lottery or not... A good story would be like Chi-Town getting a hometown star and him making the team a serious contender...

    You're reaching pretty far with your made up stories and you could come up with an endless amount of "stories" with how out of whack they are...

    That's not to be an attack, I also think the NBA is scripted, at least in some regards...
    Fail. You sir make my eyes bleed.
    2015/2017 Superbowl Champs

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    57,472
    This in no way convinces anyone who thinks it is rigged that it's not






  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,296
    Rigged. Completely Rigged.

    On a side They should also make a new rule... If a team loses 70, they are guaranteed first or second overall... cause even taking shouldn't get you to 70 losses .. those teams are just plain atrocious.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    572
    You know what would be awesome? If instead of the lottery, they did something like the team with the 3rd worst record got the 1st pick. Then there would be so much strategy involved in tanking. You'd have to figure out exactly how much to win and tank, but also try to figure out what every other team was thinking in that regard. It would be awesome. Would it be the fair or correct way to determine the picks? Absolutely not, but it would be awesome none the less.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •