Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Aaron Lynch transferring from Notre Dame

Notre Dame defensive end Aaron Lynch has left the football team and will transfer to another school following the spring semester, the school announced Friday morning.

"Aaron recently approached me about his desire to leave Notre Dame and return to Florida," coach Brian Kelly said in a release. "I've always known and appreciated the affinity Aaron has for his home in Florida. However, the stark reality is you can't make it at Notre Dame if your head and heart are not here.

"I am proud of the effort Aaron made in the classroom and on the field at Notre Dame. I wish him all the best in the future."

Lynch, a rising sophomore, earned freshman All-America honors, starting six games and leading the Irish in sacks (5.5) and quarterback hurries (14) while notching 33 tackles, including seven for a loss, and forcing one fumble.

"I want to thank Coach Kelly for giving me this great opportunity to attend Notre Dame and be part of the Fighting Irish football family," Lynch said in a release. "This was one of the toughest decisions I have had to make, but I want to go back home to Florida. I'm grateful to Coach Kelly for understanding and allowing me to return home."

Lynch returned to campus this week after being excused from last Wednesday's practice to head to Ohio for what Kelly then called "personal reasons."

"We excused him from practice today," Kelly said on April 4. "He needed some time to straighten out some personal matters at home. ... There were rumors that he quit or transferred or went pro -- all that is not true."

An edgy player, the 6-foot-6, 270-pound Lynch picked up six penalties last season, many after the whistle. Allowed to speak to the media only twice since he first took the field for the Irish, he explained the way he plays on March 23, saying: "The thing is, honestly, every year I'm going to get some yellow flags, because that's the way I play football. That's my intensity. It happens. I'm not going to go intentionally do it, but the next two, three, four years I'm going to get more yellow flags."

A Florida native whose mother moved to Ohio to be closer to him, Lynch recently admitted to the big adjustment it had been in transitioning to South Bend, Ind.

"I'd rather be in a different environment as in weather and stuff, but I've got no choice," he said during the March 23 interview. "I'm here, so I've got to stay here."
    ESPN

Apparently Lynch is likely to transfer to South Florida to be closer to his girlfriend. Lynch is kind of a head-case but his talent is undeniable. Notre Dame can't seem to catch a break lately.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

It's always great to be an Irish fan.

I heard Lynch complained about the weather constantly. But I still think it was ND's performance on the field that probably turned him off just like the decommits in this years recruiting class.

If I'm not mistaken, we have gotten a good amount of high rated ends this recruiting class, so I'm not as mad, but still sucks.

Yeah ND has decent depth along the d-line for the first time in god knows when, but Lynch was a pretty special talent to dominate like he did as a freshman. I guess it's better that if he was going to dork out he did it now and not before 2013.

Didn't he have/has issues with his mom?

Quote Originally Posted by mell413 View Post
    I've heard that his Mother is quite the control freak. Lynch didn't really want to go to ND when he signed there, but his Mom kind of forced his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mell413 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    I've heard that his Mother is quite the control freak. Lynch didn't really want to go to ND when he signed there, but his Mom kind of forced his hand.
    Well his mom use to post on message boards like Irish Envy and maybe others. So when Lynch committed, then decommitted then recommitted to ND last year his mom was on these message boards arguing and defending Lynch. Which I guess I would consider issues with my mom now that I think about it.

I just think Lynch was never totally sold on ND and some kids get seriously home sick. It wears off for most people but Lynch has been at ND for over a year (early enrollee I think). I think if his mom was really forcing his hand she would still be doing it and he would still be there.

Shouldn't have decommitted from FSU and this is coming from a Canes fan.
    DUKE.

he is denied fsu, uf and um supposedly so usf or ucf are the most likely locations. He will be a nice pick up for one of them.
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh

He can come to Clemson. Close enough to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfan79 View Post
    he is denied fsu, uf and um supposedly so usf or ucf are the most likely locations. He will be a nice pick up for one of them.
    It's pretty much a done-deal that he's going to South Florida.