Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Homosexuality in the NBA

So I was watching Chris Noth in "Law & Order" discussing a string of murders of gay men and I started wondering if an openly gay player would ever be accepted in the NBA. I don't mean a player who warms the bench all season long. I mean a star player. Do you think such a player would be accepted by teammates and fans?
    Do you think one will ever come out of the closet? The league is made up of so many men, it makes sense that there would be some homosexual players; they're just in the closet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. 03-24-2012, 05:38 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

Is there something you wanna tell everyone ?

4. 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

5. 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM

6. 03-24-2012, 06:09 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

7. 03-24-2012, 06:12 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

8. 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

As if there is something wrong with being gay, or with a man even looking somewhat feminine?

In honor of my gay friends, and the crap they put up with on a daily basis, I want to say F-You to every homophobe about to hijack this thread.

My gay friends and co-workers are some of the best and brightest people I know, and their sexual preference has nothing to do with it.

I hope that a high profile professional athlete has the strength to come out, finally, and start waking some people up.
    Last edited by Corey; 03-24-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Who was that gay guy that played for the Jazz?

Edit: John Amaechi

Crazy that no gay guy in any of the top professional sports here has come out during their career. Honestly, they should be ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are. Not for being gay of course - that's not their fault or a fault at all imo - but for not having the cajones to admit it and be a role model to the kids out there in a similar situation.

I played sports my entire youth and through college and never knew one teammate who was gay, but there is 0% chance that could have actually been the case. It would actually be interesting to see a marquee star come out. I do feel bad for the stigma that they have to deal with, the sports world is not a kind one to gay dudes, that's for damn sure.

this thread is not headed in the right direction.......i can see this getting out of hand in a few.

Its the perfect defense though... Not one basketball player will back into you...If Durant had the ball with 10 seconds left down 1 and we had a foul to give I would hump him... This would promise he would not come within 5 feet and would take a terrible shot to try and end the game

Does nobody remember Thad Guerwitcz?

He was a high profile athlete back in the day..

http://archive.glaad.org/images/medi...Playmakers.jpg

This signiture sucks but I get my point across, I'll pay someone for something more legit! Go Vikes!

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Crazy that no gay guy in any of the top professional sports here has come out during their career. Honestly, they should be ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are. Not for being gay of course - that's not their fault or a fault at all imo - but for not having the cajones to admit it and be a role model to the kids out there in a similar situation.

I played sports my entire youth and through college and never knew one teammate who was gay, but there is 0% chance that could have actually been the case. It would actually be interesting to see a marquee star come out. I do feel bad for the stigma that they have to deal with, the sports world is not a kind one to gay dudes, that's for damn sure.
    The question is what would the consequences be for a player who admits he's gay? I mean sports fans in general aren't always politically correct to put it mildly. Just look what's happening to Kris Humphries and he's not even gay.
    If some player came out, he'd become an easy target for some so called 'fans' and I understand why those guys rather keep it a secret.

It would be different years ago but now I think it would be fine...You will always have a bunch of morons eventually saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by LakersKB24 View Post
    The question is what would the consequences be for a player who admits he's gay? I mean sports fans in general aren't always politically correct to put it mildly. Just look what's happening to Kris Humphries and he's not even gay.
    If some player came out, he'd become an easy target for some so called 'fans' and I understand why those guys rather keep it a secret.
    Can't speak for other groups of friends, but I know if me and my buddies were at a game there's a good chance they'd bag on a guy like Humphries (for being a douche bag), or Kobe (for being Kobe), and 0% chance they'd bag on a guy who had the balls to come out of the closet on a professional sports team. I'd have so much respect for that player. Even if it was a douche like Humphries.

Can't speak for other groups of friends, but I know if me and my buddies were at a game there's a good chance they'd bag on a guy like Humphries (for being a douche bag), or Kobe (for being Kobe), and 0% chance they'd bag on a guy who had the balls to come out of the closet on a professional sports team. I'd have so much respect for that player. Even if it was a douche like Humphries.
    True.

There would be some backlash. But the outpouring of support would be overwhelming. Only a matter of time now...

Honestly, as much as we all say that we're in a day in age that could accept them, I'm not so sure that's the case. Most of us are rational, accepting people who wouldn't have a problem with it. But what happens during a road game in a particularly intolerant arena when a few fans start a "***" or "homo" chant. Honestly the guy would have to have a Jackie Robinson level of emotional strength to get through that. Most fans are accepting, but I think there are a few bad apples in every bunch.

And what about teammates? Most of us could probably accept having a gay friend or co worker or teacher or star athlete, but I'm not so sure they could. Remember, a lot of them grew up in the inner city and the ghetto where people get their ***** kicked for being gay. I can't imagine all NBA players being tolerant enough to handle it, although there certainly some that could.

I think the only way it could work is if the guy was not only a big enough star, but if he was someone who couldn't get pushed around on the court. I am in no way implying that any of the players I'm mentioning here are gay, but let's say Chris Paul came out of the closet. Wouldn't he have to worry every time he drove the lane that some intolerant ******* would throw him into the stands? And wouldn't that spark a number of big fights between teams? Hell teams would have to structure their entire rosters around one guy to make sure that didn't happen.

Now imagine if Shaq came out. If somebody tried to mess with him for being gay, he'd just destroy them. Nobody would attack Shaq, and if they did they'd know he'd come right back at them. Not only would players have to worry about the media killing him for going after Shaq, but they'd have to worry about getting physically destroyed.

I also think the city would matter. It would be a nightmare for someone to come out in New York or LA because the media wouldn't leave them alone. I think it would have to be in a city with a smaller media market, but it would also have to be a fairly evolved city. Golden State would make some sense off the top of my head because of its proximity to San Francisco.

Honestly I don't think we'll see it for at least another decade. Fans are probably for the most part ready for it, but I don't think players are.

20. 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
    Reason
    Grow up.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

Good post

Any guy who plays a team sport and who is gay knows the possible outcomes of being open about it. And most of them are bad. Honestly, how do you think you and your teammates and you (and this applies to all of us) would have accepted an openly gay player on your bb team in high school? I came from a rural area and I can say that I don't think it would have gone over well in my town. Once someone is in college, they've learned how to get by so why change then?
    There are areas in the country that it would be more acceptable but in general, look how gay men are treated in areas outside of major cities. It's getting better but it's far from acceptable and that should be obvious when you still have presidential candidates using the topic as a tool to get votes.

And I think the sad truth about the pros, is that...

A)there are still a great deal of guys that would be, let's just say unpleasant, with a gay teammate. I think it's way better and there are far fewer of these players but it still exists.

B)More importantly, promotional and advertising issues. Who will endorse them? It could be amazing and open things up for players and fans or it could be the end of a career.

How would the "Joe Six Pack", the 45 year old father of 3, slightly to grossly overweight, beer swilling, big true driving, yelling at the tv, fist pumping, chest bumping, ram tough guy react when he finds out that the jersey he wears every week when he roots for his team is the jersey of a gay man? Let's say Clay Mathews (cause the dude is a beast and it would surprise the hell out of people)
    How do you think "Joe Six Pack" responds?
    1- Does he rip the jersey off and run to take a shower and start rooting for the hated bears because the packers let mathews play?
    2-Does he become depressed and disillusioned?
    3-Does he get freaked out and panicked for a minute and then think, "**** it, he's an awesome line backer."? And then after this find himself defending Mathews to his friends who rip on him for wearing a gay players jersey?
    I think 3 is the one we'd hope for but we are still in the land of 1 and 2. It's changing and someday it will happen but that player will have to be brave. I think it may be more than one when it first happens.

I see no problem with it.

I do see alot of players dumb and closed minded. Barkley said something about it a few years ago, which was really brave of him. It really is the last of the Civil Rights in this country that this Nation needs to fix.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast