Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Could Dwight Still Join The Nets?

I figured there should be a new thread on this where people can speculate.

The thing here is, it seemed like Dwight Howard was 100% certain (though we'll never know) that he wanted to join the Nets. He wanted to play with another all-star, specifically a point guard. He wanted to be the face of the organization (and he is in Orlando). He wanted better and more marketing opportunities. Now we don't know if this is really what he wanted or what his agent wanted...but their not there in Orlando.

Yes, Orlando is #3 in the East, but most of that is due to the play of Dwight himself, not necessarily because the Magic are better. Starting at the beginning of the season with Deron + Dwight vs. the Magic, I have to think the Nets would kill in standings. As far as I know, Orlando does not have the cap space to bring in another superstar and it seems like most stars do not want to play there anyway. So at the end of the season, unless Orlando makes it to the finals, he's really no better off.

As for marketing. He's playing in Orlando for the an owner who owns a company that for year and years was thought of as a scam or a get rich quick scheme (Amway), who is also seemingly in poor health. In Brooklyn, he'd be playing for an international owner who wants to make his team a global machine. On top of that he's in NYC and has a minority owner in Jay-Z.

We all know this and we all have seen the reasons why most people picked the Nets. I'm wondering if Dwight is going to rethink his decision when the season is over. It seems almost like he was guilted into staying. His mother supposedly wanted him to stay. He has a fanbase who were already spurned by a superstar center, and he has a close relationship with ownership. It seems to me like he didn't want to let anyone down, and he didn't want to be a bad guy.

The thing is, he didn't opt out, meaning he already loses money on the contract. He also didn't sign a long term contract. I wonder if this is a "I'm committing to this team, but I still want to see what's best for me" type of move. Depending on the way the season plays out, he could still ask for a trade (and depending on whether Deron stays), and any teams know they'd at least have him for a full season.

Who knows. It might be an option, it might not be. Just figured I'd throw it out there for everyone to discuss (not to get hopes up).

No.

Sorry the Dwight Howard thread was buried and now rests in peace. Mini funeral for this one too please?

Brooklyn Nets | New Jersey Devils | New York Yankees | New York Giants

Gamertag PS3: CaptainClutch92 (Add It!)
    Twitter: @BeaconChris
    "The way is very simple, the way to success. We're going to turn Knicks fan into Nets fan. That's it."..........."I am in rehearsals now 10 hours a day and plan to demand joint billing." (on rapping with Jay-Z)
    -Mikhail Prokhorov

Howard the Coward! No!

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    Let's move on to the next big name, we won't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    Let's move on to the next big name, we won't get.

so dissapointing....I hope Magic get swept in the first round by the knicks Howard gets laughed at and then demands a trade to nets during offseason privatly....

Props to MJ BULLS!

again.... these Howard the Coward statements are dumb. make no sense....

what is he a coward for? for not leaving a good team to join a worse one?

Quote Originally Posted by dmorales125 View Post
    Howard the Coward! No!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_Pete View Post
    I figured there should be a new thread on this where people can speculate.

The thing here is, it seemed like Dwight Howard was 100% certain (though we'll never know) that he wanted to join the Nets. He wanted to play with another all-star, specifically a point guard. He wanted to be the face of the organization (and he is in Orlando). He wanted better and more marketing opportunities. Now we don't know if this is really what he wanted or what his agent wanted...but their not there in Orlando.

Yes, Orlando is #3 in the East, but most of that is due to the play of Dwight himself, not necessarily because the Magic are better. Starting at the beginning of the season with Deron + Dwight vs. the Magic, I have to think the Nets would kill in standings. As far as I know, Orlando does not have the cap space to bring in another superstar and it seems like most stars do not want to play there anyway. So at the end of the season, unless Orlando makes it to the finals, he's really no better off.

As for marketing. He's playing in Orlando for the an owner who owns a company that for year and years was thought of as a scam or a get rich quick scheme (Amway), who is also seemingly in poor health. In Brooklyn, he'd be playing for an international owner who wants to make his team a global machine. On top of that he's in NYC and has a minority owner in Jay-Z.

We all know this and we all have seen the reasons why most people picked the Nets. I'm wondering if Dwight is going to rethink his decision when the season is over. It seems almost like he was guilted into staying. His mother supposedly wanted him to stay. He has a fanbase who were already spurned by a superstar center, and he has a close relationship with ownership. It seems to me like he didn't want to let anyone down, and he didn't want to be a bad guy.

The thing is, he didn't opt out, meaning he already loses money on the contract. He also didn't sign a long term contract. I wonder if this is a "I'm committing to this team, but I still want to see what's best for me" type of move. Depending on the way the season plays out, he could still ask for a trade (and depending on whether Deron stays), and any teams know they'd at least have him for a full season.

Who knows. It might be an option, it might not be. Just figured I'd throw it out there for everyone to discuss (not to get hopes up).
    Possibility or larger...

**** Dwight Howard.....HARD.
    When you got to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Dwight will never leave because he doesn't want to be treated like LeBron James? It's sad he cares about what people think about him than caring about himself it really truely is sad.

^ She's A Cutie

NEW JERSEY NETS 4-EVER

I think it's possible, but a long shot.

Otis did agree to a deal with Lopez, Wallace, and 5 1st round picks. Dwight is only there for one more year.

Does SVG, Dwight Howard, Otis Smith, and the rest of the FO want to go through this AGAIN? I think they kept him to try to convince him to stay and they will ask this off-season if he's going to stay long-term and if he says no I think he's traded prior to opening day of the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan71023 View Post
    Dwight will never leave because he doesn't want to be treated like LeBron James? It's sad he cares about what people think about him than caring about himself it really truely is sad.
    Everybody cares about how they are perceived.

Dwight will indeed leave. Where to? I don't know, but I think he's gone. He opted into to his option year. That's only 1 year, or like half a year if you consider all the drama leading up to next years deadline if he's still in Orlando.

I don't think people know much hate LeBron James gets. If he's not in the state of Florida, he's probably the most hated athlete around...and for what? Being immature? Wanting to play with friends?

Think about this for a second. He's being ridiculed for wanting to play with friends and being immature. Really? Really?

As far as being immature goes, the culprit goes to the media, the fans, ESPN. This guy was dubbed the next MJ when he was 16. 16!! Imagine being a sophmore in high school and having ESPN dudes following you, interviewing you, telling you you're the next great one.

With the amount of attention that was brought to his skills at such a young age, I find it no shock at all that he's like this.